Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am building a folding rig and have encountered some problems. When i go to install XP it is all good until i have to click the "install" boutton before the OS is actually installed. Once clicked or any other boutton is pressed for that matter I get a BSOD reading: STOP:0x0000008e 0xc0000005 0xf77foe54 0xf73ca788 0x00000000

Also, i have tried one stick of ram, different hard drives, SATA drives and two different optical drives. no such luck, temps are fine but no install. :swearing:

Any help would be much appreciated.

+Rep for help.

Thanks, Rab1t.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Did you set your memory voltage?

What PSU?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
system specs:
Pentium D 950
Geforce 6200 turbo cache
2 gigs of 667

nothing is overclocked.

I have not touched timings voltages or anything of the sort. Also I have tried my vista CD but no such luck, it says that there is "unallocated space." Also something funny that i noticed, I have an old hard drive with windows 98 installed on it, just for the fun of it i plugged it in... it booted win 98. but the problem is that that HD is only 10GB. So really i would like either XP or Vista. Do I need a new hard drive?

EDIT: I have a 600W power supply btw

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
If you're getting random BSOD's and crashes when trying to install the operating system you should also test your RAM with memtest86+ to make sure that it's in good working order.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jumper settings?????? oh and by the way i have taken the ram from my main PC (the one in my sig) and put it in the build PC and still nothing (both are 667).

I think it may be the HD, +rep for all who helped me

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rab1t_K1ll3r^ View Post
jumper settings?????? oh and by the way i have taken the ram from my main PC (the one in my sig) and put it in the build PC and still nothing (both are 667).

I think it may be the HD, +rep for all who helped me
yes on ide drives there are jumpers that need to be place a certian way so the computer knows it either a master or slave drive.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had a similar issue which turned out to be the XP install disk, thankfully I had other copies laying around. Do you have another HD with an OS installed, or perhaps a quick Linux install to check.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh ok, the hard drive is set as master and the optical drive as slave i tried the other way around just for fun and still no luck. You would think that the vista CD would work but guess not.

I guess i will just have to buy a new Hard Drive.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the BSOD come at exactly the same spot every time? If yes than I would suspect xp disk is your problem. If no, I would suspect bad memory.

Also, set your memory voltage and timings if you haven't. Your timings might have defaulted improperly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i just bought a new HDD and i noticed something AGAIN, this time i had a small electrical fire. The sata plug was in-properly connected when i turned it on and then it started smoking badly. so thus, i have fried my 600W psu

back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts