Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm not sure what my brother has done to the family computer, but yesterday he was on msn and he got a BSOD. It said:<br />
<br />
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL<br />
<br />
0X0000000a (0X008BF722, 0X00000002,0X00000001,0X806FF84A)"<br />
<br />
I fixed it yesterday by going into safe mode then system restore and its happened again, something was making a very strange sound inside it.<br />
<br />
Whats up with it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.<br />
<br />
Possible Resolutions:<br />
<br />
* A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.<br />
<br />
* A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.<br />
<br />
* If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know he clicked on a virus through msn (he just told me) and that avg kept popping up telling him he had a virus. Naturally he didn't tell me...<br />
<br />
Nothing was installed in the past, what, year so I doubt it is anything hardware related.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
i've recieved the same message when I overclocked the FSB to around the 400 range. that and one other BSOD error msg which I don't have right now since I am at work.<br><br>
might these also be related not only to fault/driver issues but to bad memory reads?

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>rx7speed</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">i've recieved the same message when I overclocked the FSB to around the 400 range. that and one other BSOD error msg which I don't have right now since I am at work.<br><br>
might these also be related not only to fault/driver issues but to bad memory reads?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I'm not sure, but it is a pre-built pc so I cannot overclock.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
USB can also cause this. Check your irq lines,whatever 2 dvices have the same number are causig the problem. First, scan for hardware changes.<br>
Go to control panel-->system-->hardware-->deivce manager-->click on the name of your computer(first ting on the list)-->acton-->scan for hardware changes. If it detects nothing than check your irq lines, i dont know how to do that though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any time i got an IRQ Less than or Equal it was always bad memory..<br><br>
Try running Memtest86+ or one of the windows memory testers(i forgot the names)...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
good chance ur memory is bad. Let memtest86+ run for 12 - 24 hours.<br />
<br />
OR <br />
<br />
This is usually a device error - part of a memory dump for any of a variety of issues but usually a device driver or a cable error, in my experience.<br />
We often see it in the early stages of an ATI graphics driver failure.<br />
It usually has to do with the following: Memory error due to small memory defect in memory module or AGP video memory. Failure of device or device drive of one of these: Video, Audio, NIC, modem. Failure of IDE/EIDE/ATA cable as it hardens and shrinks from age. Device order error on IDE/EIDE/ATA cable where Cable Select is being used but the primary device is NOT on the end of the cable. (On cable select, master is at end, slave is in the middle.<br />
Microsoft has its own theories. You can do a search of their knowledge base or try:<br />
<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb:en-us;314063" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default...b:en-us;314063</a>. If that doesn't work quite right, search for 314063 in the knowledge base.<br />
Also could be a registry corruption error.<br />
The tricks. <br />
1. Download and resinstall drivers for all devices. <br />
2. Download Memtest86 and test your memory for AT LEAST three hours of iterations. <br />
3. Check all your IDE/EIDE/ATA cables. If you have an ATA drive that is on an old style cable, change to ATA cable with 80 conductor - 40 connector.<br />
<br />
Also a common error when someone upgrades to Windows 2000 or Windows XP from an earlier OS. Only fix in this case is to do a clean install on a formatted disk.<br />
Registry error problems can be fixed by restarting in Safe Mode (pressing the F8 key) at least three or four times. This will fix errors in your registry that will get rid of a lot of such problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts