Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my old GeForce 7600GT died on me and I'm on the market for a new'n.


Can you guys hook me up with the best card I can get for preferably less than $70?

Also, just for future reference (for myself) what is it exactly that a guy looks for in buying a new GPU? I vaguely remember something about pixel pipelines, but I heard that was out of date since DX9 and 10.
I mean, I've seen GPU's with a 500mhz CC and a RC of 800mhz going for more than cards with 800mhz CC and 1500mhz RC. What's the deal there? I assume there is something I am missing


Thanks in advance guys!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
It's all about whether you have more stream processors (ATI) or shaders (Nvidia). The more you have, generally the better card you have.

I would suggest snatching up an 8800 GT here on the marketplace. They go for ~$60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by firestormcomputers
View Post

It's all about whether you have more stream processors (ATI) or shaders (Nvidia). The more you have, generally the better card you have.

I would suggest snatching up an 8800 GT here on the marketplace. They go for ~$60.

Thanks for the quick response!
If you don't mind me asking (and you answering), what is the difference between stream processors and shaders? Are they physically different things or just named differently because of the brand? Would the aformentioned be equivelant to the old pixel pipelines...if not, what are they measured in?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm quite interested.

8800GT you say? I will check the For Sale section and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kagaos
View Post

Thanks for the quick response!
If you don't mind me asking (and you answering), what is the difference between stream processors and shaders? Are they physically different things or just named differently because of the brand? Would the aformentioned be equivelant to the old pixel pipelines...if not, what are they measured in?
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm quite interested.

8800GT you say? I will check the For Sale section and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion!

They are two totally different things.

And yes, these are what replace pixel pipelines
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by PC Gamer
View Post

Here is a great looking 9800gt for $80 shipped. http://www.overclock.net/video/68611...s-pending.html Mabye you can haggle with him.


Haha I was just looking at that one. Will check that out, thanks!

Quote:
Based on your rolleyes, I assume that was sarcastic? If so, why? (not trying to be smart, I'm just confused)
I mean, that card has (as far as I can tell) the same specs as the 9800gt mentioned above, but for half the price. Is that just a brand issue, or is there, again, something I'm missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by Astonished
View Post

not available...

Oh haha, I was thinking too hard I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootscamp View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125304

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 Video Card

Core Clock 550MHz
Shader Clock 1340MHz
Stream Processors 96
Memory Size 512MB

3yr Warranty

$84.99
69.99 After $15 MIR
Free Shipping.
As I've made fairly clear in the OP, I know very little about GPU's. So I must ask, how would the card you mention compare with the 9800gt mentioned earlier in this thread?
To me, it seems as though it would perform worse than the 9800gt based on the specs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kagaos
View Post

I mean, that card has (as far as I can tell) the same specs as the 9800gt mentioned above, but for half the price. Is that just a brand issue, or is there, again, something I'm missing?

The card goes on and off sale at Newegg every few weeks. It was available for around an hour today; in fact, earlier this afternoon. It may be worth your time signing up for an auto-notification and seeing if you can pounce on the deal. It would be the best $50 ever spent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

I will be selling a pair of Visiontek 4850s tomorrow. I will be asking $60 + shipping for each, so PM me if you are interested.

great deall
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top