Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, boss has given me a small sum to build a new machine for his office. This will be mostly for basic office productivity, internet surfing, and maybe a little AutoCAD. Main goals here are price, reliability, responsiveness (if not necessarily raw, blistering performance), and portability in that order.

What I've put together so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($33.76 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial V4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.68 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $395.28
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 22:29 EST-0500)

Notes/Concerns:
  • This will be a completely stock, no OC build.
  • Picked the v4 over the m4 because the motherboard is limited to SATA II. If you know of any other good budget, reliable SATA II SSDs for a similar/lower price, by all means let me know.
  • I know that the APUs are very memory bandwidth-hungry, will 1866 significantly starve an A4?
  • Soft budget ceiling is $425, hard ceiling is $450.
  • I realize the CX isn't the best supply ever, but it's the cheapest semi-reliable modular that I can find.
  • Recycling an old DVD burner from an old build, so I don't need one of those.
If you have any other suggestions other than addressing the main Qs I have above, feel free to chime in, as well. As always, thanks for your help.
smile.gif

·
Registered
736 Posts
Here is my proposed rig. Used many parts from your build, but with some parts that I would suggest for quality reasons. I like ASUS, have not had any problems with them. My first RMA was with ASRock, when the board worked it worked great, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth about them. The Samsung 840 is a great and reliable SSD. And you will be much happier with 8GB of RAM, more multitasking power. Also, the RAM that I picked is on the compatibility list for the MoBo so no worries there. It is also under your $450 firm limit.

PC Part Picker List: Total Cost is $432.82
The changes,

Samsung 840 128GB SSD
ASUS F2A55-M LK PLUS Mobo
G. SKILL Ripjaw X Series 8GB(2x4GB) 1866

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.