Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick but silly story, I went to TigerDirect to buy an 8-16GB memory stick the other night, somehow I got sidetracked and ended up buying parts for a whole new machine to use as another media centre but in the bedroom this time, and of course I ended up forgetting the darn memory stick. To the question and help, I purchase an XFX 9600GSO which actually performs really well considering it was $85.00, I was actually shocked at it's performance especially in 3DMark06. My issue is the darn thing is as loud as an 8800GT at 100% fan speed, which is rediculous. I need to return this, it just won't work as a media centre vid card. RivaTuner does not adjust this unfortunately.
I have found the Palit 9500 GT card which has passive cooling but can't really find it available for sale anywhere. Can anyone suggest anything similar in the $90 CDN range? My only need is to play 1080p material and to be quiet, passive cooling was a handy bonus but a card with a fan I can manipulate would also work....Thanks for any help folks.

·
Premium Member
36,980 Posts
You should probably look into a HD4350 then

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
wait for 4770. $100 with 4850 performance out in a few weeks.
Or a 4830.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131129
thats the cheapest 4830. $90 shipped, $75 after mir. GREAT bang for the buck.
Not to be a jerk but I just thought I'd point out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Can anyone suggest anything similar in the $90 CDN range?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Not to be a jerk but I just thought I'd point out:
Well the title says $100 ish. $75 USD is what i would call "$100 ish" CAD.
4830=$75 AR USD

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Well the title says $100 ish. $75 USD is what i would call "$100 ish" CAD.
Call it whatever you want, but if you live in Canada you can't order from the US Newegg store, so it doesn't really matter. That's why I posted Newegg Canada links.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't need to spend the added extra just to satisfy the card that I can return. I also mentioned that RivaTuner does not work, the 9600GSO (of course finding this out after my impulse buy) does not have the capability to lower it's fan speed unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.