Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick but silly story, I went to TigerDirect to buy an 8-16GB memory stick the other night, somehow I got sidetracked and ended up buying parts for a whole new machine to use as another media centre but in the bedroom this time, and of course I ended up forgetting the darn memory stick. To the question and help, I purchase an XFX 9600GSO which actually performs really well considering it was $85.00, I was actually shocked at it's performance especially in 3DMark06. My issue is the darn thing is as loud as an 8800GT at 100% fan speed, which is rediculous. I need to return this, it just won't work as a media centre vid card. RivaTuner does not adjust this unfortunately.
I have found the Palit 9500 GT card which has passive cooling but can't really find it available for sale anywhere. Can anyone suggest anything similar in the $90 CDN range? My only need is to play 1080p material and to be quiet, passive cooling was a handy bonus but a card with a fan I can manipulate would also work....Thanks for any help folks.

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
You should probably look into a HD4350 then

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
wait for 4770. $100 with 4850 performance out in a few weeks.
Or a 4830.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131129
thats the cheapest 4830. $90 shipped, $75 after mir. GREAT bang for the buck.
Not to be a jerk but I just thought I'd point out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Can anyone suggest anything similar in the $90 CDN range?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Not to be a jerk but I just thought I'd point out:
Well the title says $100 ish. $75 USD is what i would call "$100 ish" CAD.
4830=$75 AR USD

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Well the title says $100 ish. $75 USD is what i would call "$100 ish" CAD.
Call it whatever you want, but if you live in Canada you can't order from the US Newegg store, so it doesn't really matter. That's why I posted Newegg Canada links.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't need to spend the added extra just to satisfy the card that I can return. I also mentioned that RivaTuner does not work, the 9600GSO (of course finding this out after my impulse buy) does not have the capability to lower it's fan speed unfortunately.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choggs396
View Post

Call it whatever you want, but if you live in Canada you can't order from the US Newegg store, so it doesn't really matter. That's why I posted Newegg Canada links.

www.newegg.ca

there's a canadian branch of newegg btw

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the 9600GSO, which has turned out to be a noise mistake, performs great, just sounds like a turbine and is rediculous for a htpc.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts