Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what I need to do. I've heard Polk Audio and Klipsch are good, but should I buy the pre-set ones from newegg, or should I get like separate parts? Good suggestions please ! Thank you!

I have a 52inch lcd television.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Talk to the reps at crutchfield.com, they are very helpful in narrowing down components based upon your needs/budget. They are very knowledgeable, and if all of the customer service calls I made were that good to MS, other vendors, etc. I would almost be willing to pay for support.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Go and troll the local thrift stores if you are on a budget. You'd be surprised what you can find.

My setup is as follows: Technics SB-A32 speakers, VS-80 rears, MC400 center, harmon/kardon AVR 125 receiver. Know how much money I've spent on all that? About $50. Some of it I also got for free though. Sounds awesome.

• Rep+
Reactions: SANNIN3Xjima

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
i'm pretty happy with my low budget setup:
energy take 5 classic - $180
energy esw8hg sub - $100-180 at costco, can't remember what it was purchased for
onkyo tx-sr507 - $250

i wouldn't really recommend the sub though

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Go and troll the local thrift stores if you are on a budget. You'd be surprised what you can find.

My setup is as follows: Technics SB-A32 speakers, VS-80 rears, MC400 center, harmon/kardon AVR 125 receiver. Know how much money I've spent on all that? About $50. Some of it I also got for free though. Sounds awesome.
This is good advice, unfortunately all the places around here seem to be well connected to online pricing, so no deals for me yet

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume all in one weren't as great.

What are the basic set ups I need? Center speakers, two side speakers, and then a woofer? Do i need like a system control thing? It'd be cheap shopping all around, but I'd like to keep it simple though! Under $500 would be awesome, close to $300!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
well...you need a receiver to power the speakers, a center, l/r, and l/r rears, and a subwoofer which is going to to have it's own power

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorb
View Post

alternatively you could get a nice stereo setup, add a sub, then add the center and rears later.

I second this, spend what you can on a good stereo system and then you can add the extras later.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you have good credit, pick up whatever you want from best buy.. and get 3 years no interest payments!
Paradigm, Boston Acoustic, Kef, Klipsch, JBL all make good stuff speaker-wise.
My top picks of HT receivers are.. Denon, Pioneer Elite, Marantz.. Onkyo is good as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: SANNIN3Xjima

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moocha88
View Post

Best buy

I, myself am not a huge fan of them, or most other walk-in stores for that matter. But, if you can get all that stuff and make payments on it, then all the better. They do price match. So, that helps.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear
View Post

I, myself am not a huge fan of them, or most other walk-in stores for that matter. But, if you can get all that stuff and make payments on it, then all the better. They do price match. So, that helps.

lol they will try and find thier way out of any price match, they're pushy on up sells like extended warranties and installation services... and then the installation team doesn't even know that Audio travels over HDMI!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! True story, my friend's dad called me after the install team was confused for about an hour, I went over and got it done in 20 minutes... they refunded him for the installation BS... but even that was a battle...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm going to agree with two of these posts. Start by calling Crutchfield or just check out their website. Since your shooting for around $300 start with just a great stereo setup with great mid range woofers and high quality tweeters. The receiver is the crucial part of the setup. No matter how great your speakers are if the receiver/amp is terrible they won't sound great either. Room dimensions and speaker placement is important too so keep that in mind as you are shopping around. Great sounding high quality all-in-ones do exist but are generally kits put together by some store or manufacturer and they charge a premium for putting it all in the same box so its generally not the way to go.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
HTIB is never as good as building your own setup

If you care about 5.1 you could buy them or get a cheap 2.1 if you don't care.

My setup is expensive 10 years ago but idk now lol. my pair of speakers were 1k, sub 1k, marantz receiver 500, Classe Amp 500, LD player 200, DVD 50, Karaoke mixer 50.

almost 3k and it still works

1 - 20 of 37 Posts