Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Xeon Overclocker
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around through some threads but it appears that most ip cam uses seem to be for outside use.
I'm looking to get 2 webcam: one for the main tank, the other for the equipment. My fish tank is mostly automated from lighting, feeding, pumps, water changes, filtration. I can control everything in some fastion remotely via app or logging into my home server via teamviewer. I'm home away alot and the last peice seems to be actually being able to view the tank.

Uses:

1. Webcam for the actual aquarium
Need to be able to adjust color due to the aquarium lights (led, tends to peak really strong in the blue region)
Doesn't need motion detection, movement.
Nighttime mode is nice, but not really needed.
Doesn't need "video". A still every few minutes would work
Resolution would be nice, enough to see 1" fish from 10ft away.
Color
Webcam would be visible, so can't be huge/ with a blinking led rig.
wireless
Overall its not to stream 1080p for the world to see, I just want to make sure everything is ok

2. Webcam for aux. tank
Located in basement, so nighttime mode needed
Doesn't need color
Resolution just needs to be ok, just want to make sure the basement isn't flooded/ equipment is running
Actual unit looks doesn't matter.
wireless or wired
Some "fps" might be useful, but a still every 10 seconds would be fine
Overall I just want to make sure everything is running.

Also if anyone is familiar with the neptune apex software I can stream a webcam to the sight which would also be nice. I have a home server (well raid1, windows 7, on 24/7) which I remote log into sometimes so I can see the streams that way aswell.

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For what you require I would look at a 1.3MP or 2.1MP cams, (720P and 1080P resolutions respectively), with 10-20 Meter IR's for the basement. Upstairs I would go for a flush mount camera -the smaller the better.

Not sure what's available where you are-but assuming you are in the US, there are plenty of half decent cameras for about 100-150 USD . I would stick with budget offerings from known brands like Hikvision, Foscam, D-link etc. as opposed to (apparently) all singing all dancing feature packed lesser known branded offerings.

Something like this for the basement:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Network-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419278773&sr=8-1&keywords=IP+camera

For the aquarium, I would go for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Megapixel-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Vandalproof/dp/B00HG122FW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419278995&sr=8-4&keywords=Dahua+IP

It's quite neat-won't stick out like a sore thumb..3MP, and it looks like very like a cheaper rebrand of a very good IC Realtime camera.

I tend to use lot of Axis and Samsung gear for IP installs (Pelco/Samsung/IC Realtime for analogue); so if you spot an Axis 3004/3005 for a decent price, I would also recommend same. They are very neat & unobtrusive for domestic use.

Also don't forget to get a PoE injector/PoE hub as some of these cameras don't ship with same.

·
Xeon Overclocker
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I think I'll look around for these.

Trying to get the buy right the first time without it looking like the nsa is overly interested in my fish tank. Reviews seem lacking for most ip cams, and the ones that are around seem sponsored. This helps me look in the right direction:thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tronic View Post

For what you require I would look at a 1.3MP or 2.1MP cams, (720P and 1080P resolutions respectively), with 10-20 Meter IR's for the basement. Upstairs I would go for a flush mount camera -the smaller the better.

Not sure what's available where you are-but assuming you are in the US, there are plenty of half decent cameras for about 100-150 USD . I would stick with budget offerings from known brands like Hikvision, Foscam, D-link etc. as opposed to (apparently) all singing all dancing feature packed lesser known branded offerings.

Something like this for the basement:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2332-I-Turret-Network-Camera/dp/B00GYHEG0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419278773&sr=8-1&keywords=IP+camera

For the aquarium, I would go for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Megapixel-Surveillance-Weatherproof-Vandalproof/dp/B00HG122FW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419278995&sr=8-4&keywords=Dahua+IP

It's quite neat-won't stick out like a sore thumb..3MP, and it looks like very like a cheaper rebrand of a very good IC Realtime camera.

I tend to use lot of Axis and Samsung gear for IP installs (Pelco/Samsung/IC Realtime for analogue); so if you spot an Axis 3004/3005 for a decent price, I would also recommend same. They are very neat & unobtrusive for domestic use.

Also don't forget to get a PoE injector/PoE hub as some of these cameras don't ship with same.
I agree, I personally love axis but for budget grab what was mentioned above.

the new icrealtime ip cameras are ok. stay away from digital watchdog ip cameras they are garbage along with their nvrs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servos View Post

Cool. I think I'll look around for these.

Trying to get the buy right the first time without it looking like the nsa is overly interested in my fish tank. Reviews seem lacking for most ip cams, and the ones that are around seem sponsored. This helps me look in the right direction:thumb:
No problem, there are plenty of CCTV specific forums out there that may be useful to research a specific model. Or send a PM if I can help I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yfz450ridr View Post

I agree, I personally love axis but for budget grab what was mentioned above.

the new icrealtime ip cameras are ok. stay away from digital watchdog ip cameras they are garbage along with their nvrs.
Axis are indeed the business. Still waiting for their access control gear to come out here, interested in having a play with it. They have released the SDK for same to larger companies here already, apparently. I have to install 8 IC realtime 3MP IC-i3a-DF3B-IO's in the new yearn with one of their NVR's with built in PoE, will see how that goes-spec looks decent though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts