Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been out of the PC/overclocking game for quite some time, and my PC has sat neglected for far too long. I'm looking to upgrade it, but I want to keep the budget low, and squeeze as much of a performance increase as I can out of the limited budget. I just don't have the product knowledge I used to, so I'm coming to you guys for help.

First priorities are Mobo/CPU/RAM, since I'm still running an E6600 Core 2 on an old DFI P965 board and DDR2 RAM. So what do you guys recommend I move up to? I'd like to keep it as close to $400 (or under) as possible. I'll upgrade other stuff as time and money allows, but the core of this system hasn't been changed since probably 2010 or so, so I think that's the priority.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
Please list all of the parts you have now as some might be reusable and others might not.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
An i5-6600k, budget z170 board, budget cooler, 8gbb ddr4-3000 will probably put you right around the $400 mark.

There are additional compromises you could consider (locked i5, non-overclocking motherboard, cheaper ddr4-2133 ram) but I would probably try to avoid doing that.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motherboard, RAM, and CPU are all in looking at replacing right now, I'll upgrade the GPU later.

My PSU is a 650W Silverstone, it should be plenty for what I plan on moving to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
I'd recommend this build. Rest of your components should be fine:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($72.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $445.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-17 12:37 EDT-0400

Its over your previous budget, but these are minimum specs a system should have today to be a decent gaming machine if you have funds to spare. Also, you could throw in a good 120GB SSD and that system should fly.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post

My PSU is a 650W Silverstone, it should be plenty for what I plan on moving to.
Brand and wattage does not tell us much so please name the model.
Also if its as old as the rest of the system you might want to replace it.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Silverstone Strider 650W, it should be plenty sufficient given the fairly tame nature of what I'm trying to build.

Huzzug, any particular reason to get a $75 Heatsink when I can get a decent Zalman for half the price and put that saved money into upgrading to 16GB of ram? I understand the importance of a quality heatsink, but spending nearly a quarter of my budget on one seems pretty excessive.

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
If it is a gaming system, you'd hardly see any tangible benefit from going with a 16GB kit. What Zalman heatsink are you referring to ?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They've got several in that price range, but I seem to remember this one being well regarded.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835118133

How exactly would I not benefit from 16 gigs? I've got 8 right now, while its DDR2 of course, I don't see how going to 16 could do anything but help.

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
Ummm, any games that you feel would utilize more than 8GB in the near future ? Some food for thought

·
User
2,334 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts