Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a water cooling kit that will beat an xp-120/delta combo.
Only thing is that as its Christmas, the budget is a bit tight.

Will this little lot put my XP-120/Delta(190cfm) to shame?

1 x Heater Core
1 x Hydor Seltz L20 Pump
1 x Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
1 x 1/2" ID Flexible tubing
8 x 13-20mm Jubilee hose clip (1/2" hose)
1 x XinRuiLian 2400RPM 120mm Fan
1 x HeaterCore Fan mount Kit
1 x -DD TDX Block Intel Socket 775
£128.84

Also, is there anything else that i will need to make a complete WC system?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
NO!!!! no more folding power for you Mr. ...
I just finaly found 3 computers apsent that could fold 24/7 and in the span of a Day I've raised 20 levels.
anyways sorry for spamming in your thread.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

NO!!!! no more folding power for you Mr. ...
I just finaly found 3 computers apsent that could fold 24/7 and in the span of a Day I've raised 20 levels.
anyways sorry for spamming in your thread.

Oi get out of my thread!!!

For every machine you add...i'll add 10

...You do realise that i'm an IT manager, and i could install it on around 500 machines if i could really be bothered - but thats a bit overkill!!!

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, how easy/hard is it to add components to a watercooled rig at a later date chipset/gpu block...

Do you have to drain the wholse system??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Also, how easy/hard is it to add components to a watercooled rig at a later date chipset/gpu block...

Do you have to drain the wholse system??

Adding components is fairly easy. Personally when I add components I do drain the system and reinstall all the hosing, but that's not nessessary I know lots of people that don't go that far.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

Adding components is fairly easy. Personally when I add components I do drain the system and reinstall all the hosing, but that's not nessessary I know lots of people that don't go that far.

Do you think that the water system above would be a xp-120 killer?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

It looks promising but you never know with watercooling. You would have to do some testing. On the whole it looks impressive. And my thought is that it should be able to outperform xp-120.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

I'm looking to build a water cooling kit that will beat an xp-120/delta combo.
Only thing is that as its Christmas, the budget is a bit tight.

Will this little lot put my XP-120/Delta(190cfm) to shame?

1 x Heater Core
1 x Hydor Seltz L20 Pump
1 x Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
1 x 1/2" ID Flexible tubing
8 x 13-20mm Jubilee hose clip (1/2" hose)
1 x XinRuiLian 2400RPM 120mm Fan
1 x HeaterCore Fan mount Kit
1 x -DD TDX Block Intel Socket 775
£128.84

Also, is there anything else that i will need to make a complete WC system?

To be totally honest, using a single heatercore with 1 fan will probably give temps pretty close to the XP-120, most likely a couple degrees less. At a minimum I would suggest 2 fans in push/pull (shrouded of course). A double heatercore would be even better, as it's the best you can get as far as temps are concerned. I would also reconsider the L20 pump. While it is a good pump, it is usually recommended for smaller systems using 3/8'' tubing. I used to own a L30, and it worked great. That's my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right,

This is really annoying. Because i have got the choice of a XP-120+Delta from ebay for a total of £38, or a the above water system (with the L30 pump as you suggested) for £150.

Am i just going to be wasting my money sticking it into the water system?

There is no way i can go for the dual heatercore as i want something that will fit neatly inside my system - but dual fans shouldnt be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Well an XP-120 could* beat that, giving that your room is cold enough... lol

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Well an XP-120 could* beat that, giving that your room is cold enough... lol

Well, my misus always has the heating on maxx...so maybe it won't beat it.

But it sounds like it still is probably not worth the extra £100+ then?

Could u run a TEC off an XP-120 or the water kit i said above?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Never ever ever air cool a TEC

For a TEC you'd probably need to use a double heatercore, at the bare minimum you'd need a 226watt TEC and that throws, of course, another 226 watts of heat into the system, and you'd probably really need a 350watt TEC for a Prescott, so you'd most likely need better water cooling for that.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Well, my misus always has the heating on maxx...so maybe it won't beat it.

But it sounds like it still is probably not worth the extra £100+ then?

Could u run a TEC off an XP-120 or the water kit i said above?

Not a good idea, lol. But if the heat is always maxxed out, then what kind of a difference would water cooling make? The lowest it would get without a TEC is your burning room temp. If you threw in a TEC anyways, you would have to redo the system, better block, pump, more/better rads....

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Hey XMS, I must retract my statement about temps in my earlier post. I did some more research on the XP-120 and XP-90 as far as temps are concerned. My estimate on temps seems to be a little off. With that setup you have listed, the temps will probably be anywhere from 5-10 degrees cooler with the water setup, depending on airflow over the radiator(I still like the Radbox idea). I still suggest a little beefier pump than the L20 though. I say go for it mate!

Edit: At stock speeds, a water setup and an XP-120 will be within a couple degrees of each other. When you raise the vcore up and jack the fsb, the water kit has a much higher capacity for thermal transfer, thus lower temps at high oc's.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the extra info. I decided to blow my money and go on a water system - and at some point today i should be a member of the watercooling club

This is what i purchased in the end:

Danger Den TDX Block
1/2" Tubing
Hydor Seltz L30 Pump
Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
Dual Heatercore (Painted) + Shroud
Zerex Racing Super Coolant
2x 120mm Delta's (gonna be running them at low voltage)

Is this a good w/c setup?

Now...where on earth can i get deionized water!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Thanks for the extra info. I decided to blow my money and go on a water system - and at some point today i should be a member of the watercooling club

This is what i purchased in the end:

Danger Den TDX Block
1/2" Tubing
Hydor Seltz L30 Pump
Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
Dual Heatercore (Painted) + Shroud
Zerex Racing Super Coolant
2x 120mm Delta's (gonna be running them at low voltage)

Is this a good w/c setup?

Now...where on earth can i get deionized water!!!!

That is one of the best setups you can get. Going to be very nice. You don't need deionized water. Water will pick up ions very quickly anyway. It doesnt stay deionized unless in a controlled environment. Just buy some distilled water from your local grocery store. 1 gallon, or 2 litres should be plenty. Please keep us updated XMS!!!!!

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

That is one of the best setups you can get. Going to be very nice. You don't need deionized water. Water will pick up ions very quickly anyway. It doesnt stay deionized unless in a controlled environment. Just buy some distilled water from your local grocery store. 1 gallon, or 2 litres should be plenty. Please keep us updated XMS!!!!!

Yeah, i'm gonna pop down to the garage today and see if i can get some battery water - apparently thats the stuff i need?!?!?

I'll definately keep you updated - will probably need quite a bit of help in setting it all up

Just out of interest, what is the best path:

resevoir>pump>waterblock>radiator>resevoir
or
resevoir>pump>radiator>waterblock>resevoir

1 - 20 of 22 Posts