Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the greenest computer we could design would be. Probably AMD, high efficiency PSU etc. Lets get some brain storming going.

ASUS M4A78 Pro 780G (10W Chipset Load)
ATi Radeon HD 3450 (142W Load)
GeIL Green Series 2GB DDR2 800 (1.8v)
Western Digital Caviar 2TB Green (40% Lower Power Consumption)
IN WIN Commander 750W (88% Efficiency)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
What would the use be? If it was gaming, an Intel Atom is not going to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GivingHope
View Post

No overclocking
.

Underclocking, even.

I remember a guy around here that was trying to reach a max underclock. haha.

If not an atom platform, then go for one of those super green Gigabyte boards "EPxx"
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
atom's the most green but you can't even consider that a pc that can do the latest tasks.

athlon x2 4850e, 790gx matx mobo, western digital green, and that short kingston value ram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

atom's the most green but you can't even consider that a pc that can do the latest tasks.

athlon x2 4850e, 790gx matx mobo, western digital green, and that short kingston value ram.

and UNDERVOLT the processor. I remember when the BE-2300 came out the owner that did all the testing did a bunch of undervolting tests. I'm going to see what he was able to pull out of it

I think the system I'm building for a friend is pretty green, but it won't pull 10k in 3dmark no matter how much it wished it could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
I was thinking instead of hardware components, for the engineering club I belong to building a computer powered from a solar cell. Making it with a small PSU demand and wiring that right into the solar cell, but incorporating some battery to hold a charge for some time when dark. I do not know if it is anything people here are interested in.
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jakethesnake011
View Post

I was thinking instead of hardware components, for the engineering club I belong to building a computer powered from a solar cell. Making it with a small PSU demand and wiring that right into the solar cell, but incorporating some battery to hold a charge for some time when dark. I do not know if it is anything people here are interested in.

just make a pc powered by a running hamster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
that's actually a pretty cool idea. basically you'd have the solar cell charging something like a laptop battery, and running it into the absolute lowest power PC you can build, right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Building a "Green" is hard without explicit requirements.....

Do you buy slower energy saving components that take longer to complete a goal?
Do you buy large PCB/die components that took a lot of resources to build?
Do you spend twice as much on energy efficient components where you will never recoup the cost?

A solar powered calculator is a pretty green computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Building a "Green" is hard without explicit requirements.....

Do you buy slower energy saving components that take longer to complete a goal?
Do you buy large PCB/die components that took a lot of resources to build?
Do you spend twice as much on energy efficient components where you will never recoup the cost?

A solar powered calculator is a pretty green computer.

in my case, if I built a "green" computer, it would be to get the lowest watt parts, that still run on a budget, that does what I need it to. basically, I don't NEED a 125watt quad core if a 45 watt single core processor will work, then undervolt the little single core to be more energy efficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
X2 5050e + 780g( use IGP) + Any "Green" HD + 85%+ Power efficiency PSU , 2-4Gb of ram ( any will do , don't think that it will make that big of a difference )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

atom's the most green but you can't even consider that a pc that can do the latest tasks.

athlon x2 4850e, 790gx matx mobo, western digital green, and that short kingston value ram.

Jet ram aint it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,426 Posts


But anyways, I was having this discussing with a friend the other day, it's definitely doable to run a rig off of a solar cell, especially if it's a single 150W one. Also worth noting: my P4 3.2Ghz HT server pulls about 60W of power, plugged into a 1500VA battery backup, it has about four hours of runtime.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top