Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I finally got my computer, running changed the motherboard and everything, because what I've been told was a bad PSU killed it.

I now have a new processor, new mb, and a new RAM stick, oh and also a new PSU.

I post all of this, because when I took my computer to be repaired they told me that all of that was bad (PSU did seem faulty), but I want to be sure I wasn't scammed... So I was wondering If there's any way for me to test those components individually to be sure that they DON'T work.

I now have "bad" (not verified by me) PSU, mother board, CPU and video card.

PSU: Has power flashes, I turn the pc on, fans spin... then they stop.... and start again (in 3 seconds or so intervals).

Motherboard:
Will test it now.. but I'm wary of it because If I try the components that DO work I don't know if trying them on a bad board could damage them.

CPU: Installs Windows 7 perfectly, but after it's installed (100% and doing the "final reboot" before starting for the first time) it gets this:

It gets through the initial installation OK

(Copying Windows Files OK

Expanding files 100% OK

Installing features OK

Installing updates OK

Completing Installation OK)

"
It then says "windows needs to restart to continue"

When it reboots, it goes to "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....."

I dont click anything and it just sits there for hours.

So I try to reboot and do it again - this time I pressed a key.. it went through the installation again. The next time it rebooted, I pressed a key - it then just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner."

Any Ideas on what it might be.. ???? Should I try installing a different windows ?? (the 7 installed on it didn't boot on my Q6600"bad" but it did on my E5400 (it is proven that it works)

Video Card
: I've been told that when put on my mobo (and PSU isn't a problem because it is a 850w Cooler Master that works perfectly brand new) it shows certain lines on the middle of the screen (starting on bios... not even on windows).

None of the problems I have tried to see for myself (don't want to damage another full set of components)... so real questions are..

1) Is it dangerous for me to try and check with the "broken" components replacing the parts it needs (I'll use just the good RAM.. along with the bad mobo,PSU,and Video Card)------- If adviced against I will not try using the bad PSU (is there any chance that bad mobo (it doesn't seem like it shorted or anything can damage my good PSU or that my good mobo gets damaged by the bad PSU ?

2) Can any bad component damage any good one ? (not counting PSU).. As I've said like 11 times
I would like to know what's good and whats useless in order to return what I don't need.. since my previous setup was better than my current one.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,981 Posts
I don't know the answers, but I just want to say that I fully understand what you're saying and so I will do anything I can to help in the translation due to the inevitable language barrier. This doesn't mean that I speak more than 1 language, but it just means I have tons of time.

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,759 Posts
How are you installing Windows? Make sure you take out all flash drives or anything else and that the HDD is primary boot device (or after DVD).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm installing it with a regular disk that has never failed me... it's an OEM windows 7 32 bit I think.

I had several mistakes writing... I don't normally write so badly.. IDK what happened to me on that statement.

I don't have any flash drives on it.. but before I reinstall or anything I will try out swapping the processor there for my Q6600 (now that windows has been succesfully installed)... I will also try the video card right now (to see if I have to buy a new one...).

But the other components .. any advice on it.. I would just like to see what works and what doesn't... but if that involves risking what works.. I'll risk believing the guy who told me that PSU , MOBO and CPU & Video Card don't work.

My system specs are here on my signature. Bad is what has been called as not working and good is what is currently running (obviously my "bad" components are far better than my good components... at least performance wise assuming equal conditions for both)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is what happens at boot screen.... any ideas on what it is.. ??? And well, is it fixable or what can I try to see if it solves it.. if not I'd like to know just so I can buy a new one ASAP.

And about the other parts of my post... please any one ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
that looks like a bad driver issue, or maybe the card itself. You have any way to test with another card or system???? might be a good idea..

·
Registered
447 Posts

The distortion in the video output in BIOS is probably the RAM, I would put my money on it being RAM for sure :) A friend had white lines through his screen a while back and couldn't figure it out..I took both sticks of ram out and tried one of my spares, lines were gone

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I can say with certainty that this is not a video driver problem. The video drivers are not even loaded at this point in the boot processes.

The two likely culprits here are your RAM and your video card, one, the other, or both.

RAM typically is the most common culprit to hardware strewn problems. I would try removing all but one stick of your RAM and seeing if the problem goes away. If the lines persist try inserting a different DIMM.

·
Registered
295 Posts
completely missed the point on that picture(boot sequence)...Most likely a ram problem as moltar said...sorry

·
Registered
993 Posts
video card is bad seen it many times. drivers do not work at bios. because you get a bios screen befor you even install windows. p/s by changing your motherboard, a oe disc is coded to the hd and mb, thats why its failing to install. google tatooing mb/hd for windows

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
As far as testing the PSU out, you can buy power supply testers for that. You just plug the power supply into it, and plug the power supply into the wall. It gives you all of the readings and error codes if it's defective in any way. I picked one up for $11 USD. Not sure what prices are like where you are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts