Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! so im making a small thread for my Girlfiends build
biggrin.gif
Its a pretty small build thats shes been working on for about a year and we are about to do a small overhaul to sandy bridge in the next few weeks, so perfect time to start a log!
tongue.gif
Anyways heres a list of her specs:

Current:
CPU: i5 2500k @ Stock
Mobo: MSI H61M-P23-B3
Memory: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 (4GB x2)
Sound: Titanium X-FI HD
HDD: WD RE4 500gb
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450
PSU: Corsair GS800
Case: InWin Allure
Cooler: Stock Intel

Upgrades:

September 2011: (Post)
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (Sli)

Oct 2011: (Post)
CPU: i5 2500k @ Stock
Mobo: MSI H61M-P23-B3
Memory: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 (4GB x2)
Sound: Titanium X-FI HD

Jan/Feb 2012:
Mobo: Asus Maximus gene IV
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450*(SLI)

Future Upgrades:
Cooling: Cpu (gpu?) Watercooling w/ 92mm Rad (545LC)
HDD: Corsair Force3 60gb
Corsair HX650
Case: Interior powder coating to pearl white

Past Parts:
GPU: Evga GTX 465
CPU: Xeon X3440 @ 3.2ghz
Mobo: Asus Maximus gene III 1156
Memory: Avexair 1333 ddr3 2GB (x4)

Thanks for stopping by
smile.gif
If you have any thoughts or comments please post, it would be awesome to hear
biggrin.gif

(Update:Current rig Pics coming soon)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoii;14918612
Wow, looks really nice
biggrin.gif
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallaor;14921983
nice man.. good works
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas;14922975
that's a beastly build, under a flowery skirt
thanks guys!
biggrin.gif
She appreciates the comments, different from the usual "oh thast cute" and such
wink.gif
Good to know that guys likes her build too
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small update: We ended up finding 2 gts 450's at best buy for a reasonable price
biggrin.gif
They are the ones that are made by nvidia, so their a bit more expensive, but they do look very good so IMO worth it
tongue.gif

So here they are:

cb.jpg

c8.jpg

c6.jpg

Seriously though i think packaging is the reason the price is so high -__-, looks nice but doesnt really do .. anything

c0.jpg

c2.jpg

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestailsprowe;14957467
No Intake? Whats the temps on this?
Hmm well currently the motherboard is at RMA so i cant give real temps. but the temps with the rear external exhaust video cards and the n520 the temps arent too bad, usually the air got between cool/warm under normal usage. When stress testing and full long term usage on the cpu the inside case can get warm.

Havent tried it with the rear/internal exhaust cards (gts 450's) but currently looking at other options for cooling because of the internal exhaust and the higher possible heat dump into the case
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So since she is gone until tomorrow ive been playing around with some ideas to create better airflow within the case. So far ive came up with this idea, which adds a 200mm fan onto the side pannel/intake with out any mods (just 2 screws and hot glue). Only downside is that the N520 does not fit anymore so we are most likely going to have to find another cooling solution
frown.gif

dd2.jpg

·
Registered
855 Posts
can you install a 120mm or 80mm fan at the bottom of the case? sort of makes holes in the bottom and add a fan

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm, well she doesnt want the case modified if it can be avoided (for aesthetics), in another thread of mine someone suggested that as well
But still trying different options to see what gives best temps, if nothing else works ill prob have to do a bottom intake.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberbeat
View Post

Looks awesome!
Thought about a closed loop for CPU to help frop temperatures?
H80/H60 etc

Thanks!

well right now, im going to try using one of my stock coolers on it and see where that goes in terms of temps. later if internal temps are to high we are going to probably try a Asetek 545LC where the exhaust fan is so the hot air goes out
But as of right now (in terms of cooling) nothings final

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
before i start nit picking, i'd like to say it's a nice clean build

BUT;p it seems to me the machine may be a tad on the loud side? you got a whole lot of exhaust and not enough intake and intake sources are not filtered so you'll have a dust problem after awhile. the corsair intake fan is a excellent idea, however you do lose the ability to mount your N520. I'm also not sure how well the corsair fan plays with the rest of the case in terms of clearance with the drive cages / vid cards. however if you can make that work it'd be a nice addition to the overall cooling solution. personally, I may have gone with a silverstone SST-AP181 instead of the corsair for more stable case mounting since the corsair is a tad large for that case. another thing to keep in mind is filtering the intake air. it's harder to accomplish in the way you have mounted the corsair, but possible with a few rubber washers on the fan mount. (a pain to clean tho
) other concerns are the dust buildup around the intake fan area. there will be a patch of dust just outside of the corsair fan that you have to wipe down maybe once or twice a month.

as for the CPU cooling, i'd go with either the H80, or maybe a Thermalright AXP-140 for a quieter build. the AXP-140 would be in a good position to take advantage of the cooling air from the corsair fan and you may be able to run it fanless.

one big caveat I'd keep in mind is where you put the machine. if you put it in a semi enclosed location, the corsair may recirculate the warm exhausting air from the back of the machine and pump it back into the box.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyclum
View Post

before i start nit picking, i'd like to say it's a nice clean build

*Snip*

as for the CPU cooling, i'd go with either the H80, or maybe a Thermalright AXP-140 for a quieter build. the AXP-140 would be in a good position to take advantage of the cooling air from the corsair fan and you may be able to run it fanless.

one big caveat I'd keep in mind is where you put the machine. if you put it in a semi enclosed location, the corsair may recirculate the warm exhausting air from the back of the machine and pump it back into the box.

Thanks for the advise
def keep it in mind

The machine overal isent too noisy but it definatly can be quieter, Currently redoing the whole cooling system so what you see now will most likly be changed out in the near future
Actually got a new cooling fan in the mail 2 days ago for an exhaust. But yeah i was working in this thread earlier in the week to figure out a good cooling solution

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNytAftr
View Post

Thanks for the advise
def keep it in mind

The machine overal isent too noisy but it definatly can be quieter, Currently redoing the whole cooling system so what you see now will most likly be changed out in the near future
Actually got a new cooling fan in the mail 2 days ago for an exhaust. But yeah i was working in this thread earlier in the week to figure out a good cooling solution

ahh i was under the impression that your rear exhaust was a 120mm instead of a 92mm. in that case, the H80 wouldn't be a good idea and i'd definitely look into the AXP-140 or something close to it to take advantage of the corsair fan.

other recommendation would be running something like a single 6950/6970 instead of the 450 SLi to reduce the thermal load of the machine overall. but that may not be realistic since you already own the 450's

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update; October 31, 2011:

Hey guys, so she just started her sandy bridge update
The rig has been gutted for about 2 months but now is finally back up and running with a new Motherboard, CPU, Sound card (titanium x-fi HD) and memory. Although the motherboard is only temporary until next year where she wants to move to a z68 board to go sli.

Sidenote: .. and cable management in this case ... still a nightmare

Happy Halloween

1 - 20 of 20 Posts