Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is wanting a new PC and asked if I could help build him one. He builds and designs websites from home so it would be used primarily for that with some light gaming (mostly COD). I have no clue what is involved in web design so I need input on what type of setup he would need so I can give him an idea on how much it would cost. I'm guessing lots of hard drive space and memory with at least a dual core cpu? He has monitors, keyboard, mouse and would only need a tower. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Since he's designing sites and assuming dreamweaver/photoshop, he will need processing power so a quad core Intel CPU would be best. I'd assume overclocking won't be necessary so an i5-2300 should suffice.

The lowest end 'gaming' graphics card, GTX 260/AMD4870 perhaps. Should have 1GB GDDR ram.
8GB of RAM <---- This is important for todays 'work' computers. It can be 1333Mhz.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnivre;14117889
Since he's designing sites and assuming dreamweaver/photoshop, he will need processing power so a quad core Intel CPU would be best. I'd assume overclocking won't be necessary so an i5-2300 should suffice.

The lowest end 'gaming' graphics card will suffice, GTX 260 perhaps.
8GB of RAM <---- This is important for todays 'work' computers. It can be 1333Mhz.
headscratch.gif

8GB of RAM is overkill, so is a quad-core processor if all he will do is play COD and web design. I web design and I do it quite well on my Pentium 4 workstation with 3GB of RAM. What this guy needs is a dual core i3-2100 and 4GB of RAM to provide some headroom for his gaming intentions. Both are easy on the wallet and get the job done. The only part I agree with you is the 260. It is more than enough to play COD even with the i3 which shouldn't be a bottleneck. COD isn't very graphically intensive, considering their aging engine so even MW3 should work well on that same card if the friend chooses to buy it upon release.

A 500W power supply is enough to power the 260 and the rest of the components with ease. And almost any 1155 motherboard will work fine since most come with at least 1 PCI-E slot which is enough fro the 260 unless the user plans to go SLI in the future.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTrail;14117958
headscratch.gif

8GB of RAM is overkill, so is a quad-core processor if all he will do is play COD and web design. I web design and I do it quite well on my Pentium 4 workstation with 3GB of RAM. What this guy needs is a dual core i3 and 4GB of RAM to provide some headroom for his gaming intentions. Both are easy on the wallet and get the job done. The only part I agree with you is the 260. It is more than enough to play COD even with the i3 which shouldn't be a bottleneck. COD isn't very graphically intensive, considering their aging engine so even MW3 should work well on that same card if the friend chooses to buy it upon release.
I've actually seen footage of people being able to play MW2 on an overclocked P4 with a decent, but cheap gfx card, and they were getting about 30 - 40 fps on multiplayer..

So yeah what SkullTrail has mentioned would be good enough for him it looks like. I used to use Dreamweaver on macs with a dual core and less than 4gb of ram I think..so what he mentioned should do you fine.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnivre;14117889

The lowest end 'gaming' graphics card will suffice, GTX 260/AMD4870 perhaps.
This. Sounds like the power he needs for work like this. Personally if work is the main thing he is going to use the PC for I would go with one of the new Zotac mini-itx boards. Maybe this case. And last thing, he won't need more than a 500W PSU.
smile.gif

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTrail;14117958
headscratch.gif

8GB of RAM is overkill, so is a quad-core processor if all he will do is play COD and web design. I web design and I do it quite well on my Pentium 4 workstation with 3GB of RAM. What this guy needs is a dual core i3-2100 and 4GB of RAM to provide some headroom for his gaming intentions. Both are easy on the wallet and get the job done. The only part I agree with you is the 260. It is more than enough to play COD even with the i3 which shouldn't be a bottleneck. COD isn't very graphically intensive, considering their aging engine so even MW3 should work well on that same card if the friend chooses to buy it upon release.

A 500W power supply is enough to power the 260 and the rest of the components with ease. And almost any 1155 motherboard will work fine since most come with at least 1 PCI-E slot which is enough fro the 260 unless the user plans to go SLI in the future.
Not if you do any flash encoding, video encoding, audio encoding, heavy photoshop work (I do every day).

Almost all of my 12Gb is used up.

When you design websites, your usually trying to do 20 things at once and its no fun to sit and wait for stuff to load.

I would say get him...
-i5-2500 (not 'K')
-8GB DDR3 1333mhz
-cheapish motherboard
-gtx 460/560
-650w PSU
-cheap, small, quiet case

·
Registered
351 Posts
8 gigs of ram is so cheap now w/ rebates you can get a set for under 60

i5 2500k is a good choice so are amd's new chips coming out in a few

for vid card my vote goes for sapphire 5850

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Considering this will be a workstation/gaming rig it will probably need to last at least 3 years. With that in mind if it's in the budget I would get a quad core, for a video card I'd go with something low power like a gts 450/550. I've never had much use for more then 4gb of ram video editing and some web design/flash but that is something you could buy 4gb now and add more later if need be, but ram is dirt cheap right now so 8gb is still going to be less then $100. What kind of budget does he have? It would help a lot to know what kind of funds you are working with.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The only part I would dissagree with that is the 2x2GB ram. 4GB has become the everyday 'Girl on facebook all day while Skyping/msn Windows Media Player Justin Beibering'.

While 8GB is the gamer/workaholic standard.

ADD: That combo gives you a K CPU but no after market cooler. Rather redundant to have a K one then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09;14118093
Suggested this to another earlier . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.638283

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so after your input I'm thinking something like this:

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422
Psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

That puts it right around $455 after the mail in rebates and I was thinking around $500 but wasn't sure. He did say something about a new GPU he bought recently so he may not need one. I'll have to look and see what he bought. He also said he has 3 HDDs in his current setup so as long as they're SATA he probably won't need new ones either. Tho a raid array would be faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts