Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the game for quite a while.

but i need a bit of advice for a build for my little brother and sister looking to build sometimes this summer or late august

the games they play or random stuff and minecraft will be the main game focus though.

as i dont nkow anything abuot minecraft, i dont know how to build around it.

should i go with intel or amd?

would prefer new parts vs used.

do i go old pentium? or new skylakes? (probably overkill?)

ssd or hdd for the little buggers?

windows 10 or windows 7?? (i dont know anything about windows 10) but im thinking on w10 since i have a free saved up windows 8.1 key and ill just upgrade it to windows 10??.

something important to keep in mind though.

I live away from them, and i wont be able to do maintenance. at most, i see them once a year (and thats if im lucky).

so this means no OCing, no complicated set up, just a simple low priced build.

thank you!

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
I can tell you that minecraft only utilizes a single core, so just about any modern processor will do. I think the pentium fits the bill best, because it is the cheapest solution and will have decent single threaded performance.

There are certainly ways to squeeze a few more dollars back into the pocket, but this meets what I would consider to be a good entry point into PC gaming that wont need to be thrown out at the end of this gaming generation, passes more than just a minimum quality bar, and even includes the 'feel good' SSD upgrade that just makes turning on and using a PC feel better. This PC will crush minecraft, and even be able to play some AAA titles in the 720p-900p range at medium settings. My son built a very similar system for his 5th Grade graduation present. Prices all pulled from newegg for simplicity.

If you have a MicroCenter nearby, they frequently offer the Z97 PC MATE (much better board) + G3258 Combo for $100, I mention this because you have a ~3 month window for shopping, and this is by far one of the best deals you will come across as a builder. But if you are going to buy TODAY, this is what I would get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 00:02 EDT-0400

Again, you can save a few more dollars on a build that will max minecraft...but...these are your siblings, right? You dont want them to be console peasants! Build them something that they can be excited about turning on.

thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

I can tell you that minecraft only utilizes a single core, so just about any modern processor will do. I think the pentium fits the bill best, because it is the cheapest solution and will have decent single threaded performance.

There are certainly ways to squeeze a few more dollars back into the pocket, but this meets what I would consider to be a good entry point into PC gaming that wont need to be thrown out at the end of this gaming generation, passes more than just a minimum quality bar, and even includes the 'feel good' SSD upgrade that just makes turning on and using a PC feel better. This PC will crush minecraft, and even be able to play some AAA titles in the 720p-900p range at medium settings. My son built a very similar system for his 5th Grade graduation present. Prices all pulled from newegg for simplicity.

If you have a MicroCenter nearby, they frequently offer the Z97 PC MATE (much better board) + G3258 Combo for $100, I mention this because you have a ~3 month window for shopping, and this is by far one of the best deals you will come across as a builder. But if you are going to buy TODAY, this is what I would get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 00:02 EDT-0400

Again, you can save a few more dollars on a build that will max minecraft...but...these are your siblings, right? You dont want them to be console peasants! Build them something that they can be excited about turning on.

thumb.gif
yeah in all honesty, builds similar to that is what i had in mind. only difference is i thought of going with the CX psu (no OCing, so it should be safe enough) and maybe a better GPU used off craigslist/ebay

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
One thing to watch out for with true dual core CPU's is some games won't work with dual core CPU's. Now, something like an i3 counts as a quad core and doesn't have this issue. Won't be an issue with Minecraft though.

As for GPU, yea, I'd try to find a used GTX 750 or 750 ti at the least. Usually see used 750 ti's going for around $100. Though you might be able to catch one even lower.

*Cheapest 750 ti on Newegg right now is $94 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500349

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
If more AAA gaming is in the plans then Chargeit is on point, the i3 and 750TI make a better choice for about a hundred dollars more. FarCry 4, DA:I, and GTA:V come to mind in the category needing more than 2 threads.

The low end PSU ring is pretty dicey, both the EVGA I suggested, and the CX are on the "why you should not buy" list. This is where you should look if you want quality under 400W

·
Senior OCN Member
39,867 Posts
The Corsair CX is much better then the white 80 plus branded EVGA units.
While both of them are not all that great the CX at least is at the upper end of mediocre while the EVGA is much further down.

As for the new XFX XT there are no reviews of those so i would not buy one.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

If more AAA gaming is in the plans then Chargeit is on point, the i3 and 750TI make a better choice for about a hundred dollars more. FarCry 4, DA:I, and GTA:V come to mind in the category needing more than 2 threads.

The low end PSU ring is pretty dicey, both the EVGA I suggested, and the CX are on the "why you should not buy" list. This is where you should look if you want quality under 400W
It'd be worth the extra $100.

A system like he's talking about would be perfectly happy on a 350w PSU. Hell, I'd be surprised if this system came close to drawing 300w at full load. Most I could pull out of my main rig with a 980 ti was around 420w at the wall with the GPU oc'ed running furmark. Normal stress test usage was 320w - 380w. 89w idle.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,124 Posts
Isn't the whole draw of the G3258 it's OCing? How good is it compared to other CPUs in the price range when not OC'd?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill probably also consider an i3 with 750 TI as well.

you guys think i should just go for cheapest i3? or go with skylake? im thinking new skylake and a used 750 TI off ebay or something???

·
Registered
786 Posts
Couple things you did not mention.

Are you getting 2x computers or 1 for both of them?

Do they have a monitor(s)?

What resolution are they going to play at?

Do you have a budget?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts