Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what components I should use for a build for a friend that mostly uses his computer for programs like FL studio and traktor, he also wouldnt mind being able to run the Sims and Steam but this is kinda secondary. Also he will not be overclocking. I'm not really sure what these programs can utilize hardware wise so I am asking for recommendations. He wants to keep it around 500 USD if possible. Thanks in advance!!

-Blkdout

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
A high end APU build seems appropriate.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
dont need much at all for that kind of pc...

maybe a nice i3 would be great, if he is using monitor speakers and is going serious try build him one that will not emit much noise, so integrated graphics and as little fans as possible in the case

id just build up the cheapest one you can find, make sure its got like 4gb of ram though,

and run two hard drives in raid so he has a backup of his stuff...

edit: ill go load up FL studio and one of my more advanced pieces of work and see what kind of stress its pulling on my system for you
thumb.gif

edit: ok with a song with dozens of vst's and plugins playing I am seeing around 15% cpu usage, and around 200mb of ram usage... if this is of any help

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may want to reconsider building a desktop if he is planning on DJing with Traktor. All he needs is an i5, 4GB+ ram, and a decent sound card (perhaps NI DJ Audio 2). That can easily be achieved on a laptop.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
With hard drives currently being expensive and staying this way for awhile, I recommend looking at other, cheaper backup media than another hard drive; i.e. flash memory, or cloud storage. A second hard drive would easily be counterproductive to the rest of the build specs at a $500 budget.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
I would not use RAID as a backup solutiuon as it isnt, RAID is good for data continuity I.E if a HDD fails then it will switch over to the other HDD/s depending on your RAID type. It is always advisable to back up your drives (even RAID arrays) to any media such as external drives but this below comes into play as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

With hard drives currently being expensive and staying this way for awhile, I recommend looking at other, cheaper backup media than another hard drive; i.e. flash memory, or cloud storage. A second hard drive would easily be counterproductive to the rest of the build specs at a $500 budget.
also you can use CDs, DVDs and Blurays as a cheap alterintive to backing up your data...
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
Music production can be pretty intense. I think you should shoot for 8GB RAM and an i5, as already suggested. An APU isn't going to do you any favors - it's designed towards graphics more than it is CPU processing which is what he'll inevitably need.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i would do a microatx i3 build with 8 gigs of ram and a cheap vid card. spend the rest on sound cards/speakers/midi devices and software

i think people underestimate the i3 2100. its quite a chip.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at the i3 2100 but I'm curious if anyone has a board suggestion for this. I think that I will do a start off with a single hard drive and tell him to be very particular about backing things up until prices drop and we can set up an array.

so i3 2100
(suggested board)
8gb Ram
No graphics card needed
1Tb drive (ill have to look at options after the board is picked for $)
he has speakers
Sound card that fits into budget
What do you think is the recommended power supply? Something pretty low I would assume (prolly try to stick with corsair or Seasonic

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think Intel is a good choice just because if he decides to go farther in music production he will probably want better programs like Logic Pro and others which for the most part are mostly OSX programs, so you can always do a hackintosh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts