Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage:
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe

Case:
CaseLabs SM8 (Gunmetal Grey)

Power Supply:
Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive:
N/A - May hide a slot drive in the system. But for now going full USB...

Monitor:
Acer X34 Predator

Keyboard:
Corsair K70

Mouse:
Corsair Scimitar (Black)

WATERCOOLING

Pump:
Alphacool VP655

Pump Top:
EK X-Top Revo D5 Acetal

Reservoir:
EK X3 150 Lite

Radiators:
EK Coolstream XE480
EK Coolstream XE240

Fans:
EK Vardar 120-ER (with ModRight Fan Filters)

CPU Cooler:
EK ASUS X99 Acetal Monoblock

GPU Cooler:
N/A - To be incorporated into the loop when Pascal is released.

Lighting/Fan/Pump/Temp Control:
Aquaero 6 Pro

Fittings:
12.7mm Copper Tube (will either be Nickel coated or changed to stainless steel tubing)
RocketScience 12.7mm Tube Fittings
Barrow G1/4 Misc Fittings

Flow Sensor:
Aquacomputer 'High Flow'

Temp Sensor:
Bitspower Temperature Sensor

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
First!
And first to sub!
tongue.gif

Copper tube builds are always interesting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up the case when travelling back home from the USA. Saved a few bucks with shipping.

The CaseLabs guys do an awesome job of packing their product. During assembly I did run into an issue getting the base plate to fit. Due to the location it was near impossible to fit the final screw.

Got a hold of @Kevin_CL at CL and after confirming it was the base panel another was on its way. This one fitted up with minimal effort and everything was back on track. I can not speak highly enough of the CL crew, super professional and an amazing product to boot.

I was on the fence regarding the case, due in part to the cost and logistics, as well as some of the new display cases out on the market. But now having seen it first hand, zero regrets! Solid as a rock, perfect colour and I really dig the minimalistic look of the case.

On another note, it feels like a waste to have a base panel which won't be used, so I'm going to have a play with some ideas around using it as a mid plate...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi3fy View Post

I picked up the case when travelling back home from the USA. Saved a few bucks with shipping.

The CaseLabs guys do an awesome job of packing their product. During assembly I did run into an issue getting the base plate to fit. Due to the location it was near impossible to fit the final screw.
Got a hold of @Kevin_CL at CL and after confirming it was the base panel another was on its way. This one fitted up with minimal effort and everything was back on track. I can not speak highly enough of the CL crew, super professional and an amazing product to boot.

I was on the fence regarding the case, due in part to the cost and logistics, as well as some of the new display cases out on the market. But now having seen it first hand, zero regrets! Solid as a rock, perfect colour and I really dig the minimalistic look of the case.

On another note, it feels like a waste to have a base panel which won't be used, so I'm going to have a play with some ideas around using it as a mid plate...
CL is an amazing company. Great products, excellent customer service. Glad to see that it has been fixed, so you can get on with building a monster

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Advice taken into account TCO!

So after the assembly of the case I took some measurements and had a think about how I could build the mid plate. Was pretty sure I couldmake it work and hopefully look good...

The idea being to trim it back to fit flush with the internal wall and have some small aluminium posts at the back to support it., drill and tap them out so the plate can be fixed in place.

Think it turned out ok. Going to be a tight fit for the pump and PSU though! Needs a little more filing to make it fit nicely.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe it or not, the PSU can fit in the bottom with that mid plate...its flush, but it fits!

Nothing like the feeling of picking up new parts! It's half "Oh yeah!!" and half "S#*t, what have I got myself into?!"

Due to availability, I changed things up from my original list (OP is the final build list though). Monitor is on back order and I've got my mother-in-law importing parts from the USA when she visits at the end of the month (mainly Aquacomputer stuff because next to no one sells it Down Under).

Feels like:

And finally, I'll be putting in an order through Aliexpress for Barrow fittings. Will be my first time buying direct via China...so will be a learning curve!

I've been back and forth on the layout of pass-through ports. I want the res to be setup without fixing it with mounts to the internal wall. Pretty much held in place by the inlet and outlets. I'll post my final layout with workings once I figure it out...being a little more time consuming then originally anticipated. Ultimately, the aim is to buy all the fittings in one exact quantity order...challenge set!

Much respect to those who run multiple loops with super intense routing. If you don't have all the fittings or dimension on hand I can only imagine the nightmare it must cause!

·
Ladies, One at a Time
9,739 Posts
Quote:

Believe it or not, the PSU can fit in the bottom with that mid plate...its flush, but it fits!

Nothing like the feeling of picking up new parts! It's half "Oh yeah!!" and half "S#*t, what have I got myself into?!"

Due to availability, I changed things up from my original list (OP is the final build list though). Monitor is on back order and I've got my mother-in-law importing parts from the USA when she visits at the end of the month (mainly Aquacomputer stuff because next to no one sells it Down Under).

Feels like:

And finally, I'll be putting in an order through Aliexpress for Barrow fittings. Will be my first time buying direct via China...so will be a learning curve!

I've been back and forth on the layout of pass-through ports. I want the res to be setup without fixing it with mounts to the internal wall. Pretty much held in place by the inlet and outlets. I'll post my final layout with workings once I figure it out...being a little more time consuming then originally anticipated. Ultimately, the aim is to buy all the fittings in one exact quantity order...challenge set!

Much respect to those who run multiple loops with super intense routing. If you don't have all the fittings or dimension on hand I can only imagine the nightmare it must cause!
Good luck with that!

Another thing is depending on the Res you choose, it might come with brackets. I never drilled into the back wall of the SMA8. I just used screws to hold the brackets (to hold the Res in places, Both of them)

TCO

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks really good so far! Are you going to use any other drives besides the 950 pro?

I think the mid plate looks nice, but one question. Why not go with the SMA8 if you wanted a mid section?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this stage I'm trying to keep it fairly minimal to highlight the tubing. So sticking with the 950 Pro only for the time being. I might contemplate a secondary bigger drive down the track...

I had contemplated the SMA8 and even tagged with TCO on the 2 tone. In the end I wasn't going to rock a dual loop config and opted for the slightly less overkill of the SM8. The mid plate only really came about because I had the extra base plate that wouldn't fit up and it felt like waste not trying to do something with it.

Off to a mates place this weekend to use his metal lathe so I can try an idea with the mid plate I have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mid plate update...

So I got my mate to help part of a few sections of aluminium rod and put a hole through the centre of them. Heaps easier than me doing it by hand.

I also picked up some Aluminium flat from Bunnings (Aussie version of Home Depot for my US friends!). Now originally I wanted to have the aluminium rod taller at the back and cut at 45 degrees to mount the flat on, but it became too much of a PITA and I ended up just getting a sheet metal brake and bending 3 sections of aluminium at the desired angle. Using some black hex head screws the results turned out pretty cool I think.

Direct mount.

Raised mount.

Raised in place.

So what is the point of this you may ask?

Well I didn't want to mount the Aquaero in front of the case and break the Gunmetal look, in combination with the fact I was going to struggle fit it having a top mount 480. So where to put the Aquaero...thus the idea of side mount was born!

The aluminium flat is going to be sanded and polised, and the Aquaero with a black face panel installed. I also have room to put a slot drive in, but that will require cutting into the mid plate. Not sure if that is the best idea.

I am pretty confident that to avoid the same issue with the Aquaero it will require it to be raised mount.

Off to test fit the radiators now!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flushed and test mounted the radiators. I will summarise the outcome:

240mm EK Coolstream XE
  1. 240mm Radiator - Flushed with hardly any debris.
  2. Fitted up to the Caselabs mounts like clockwork!
  3. Provided a false sense of "everything is going to work perfectly"
480mm EK Coolstream XE
  1. Nightmare.
  2. It has been a week since I flushed this thing and my arms and back are still sore from shaking it!
  3. Used 5 litres of distilled water on it alone, and was still getting crap out of the rad.
  4. Resorted to rigging it up to the mains and letting it flow through for a good 30min (while also shaking and turning and swearing). Still crap coming out.
  5. Fill and shake with hot water. Still crap coming out, but starting to reduce.
  6. Around 20 times shake and empty and finally starting to get minimal debris out.
  7. Finish flushing with distilled water. Rinse and repeat x 2.
  8. The top drop in mount with the 480 rad didn't work. Rad was too long and clashed with the rear of the case. I should have checked measurements...
  9. Work around by installing fans between the rad and the drop in mount. Success!
Here are some pictures from the flushing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While waiting for the Barrow fittings to be supplied from China, I decided now was as good as time as any to plastidip the motherboard cover. Think it came up pretty stealth...

Photos are not the best quality, low light in the garage makes it difficult to get a good one.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Looks very clean, also really like the monoblock.

Someday I'll get my own CaseLabs case, someday.... $$

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTheuns View Post

Looks very clean, also really like the monoblock.

Someday I'll get my own CaseLabs case, someday.... $$
I was torn between a CPU block and Mosfet block...but the Monoblock was too nice to pass up.

The CaseLabs cases seem to divide people. Obviously I fall into the like category. Clean, simple, solid, functional and not over the top. But yeah...them dollar bills!

Started playing with the copper tube and marking out dimensions on paper, plus where the pass-through ports will go on the case. Will throw some photos up when I get a chance.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Subbedubed ! Looks a like a project meant to reach Mars !
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Excellent. Another Aussie working on a CaseLabs. Loved the reference to Bunnings. I will spend the rest of your build watching your progress and trying to figure out where in Aust you are. I think I have you narrowed down to QLD.
Quote:

I'll be putting in an order through Aliexpress for Barrow fittings. Will be my first time buying direct via China...so will be a learning curve!
My Aliexpress experience went pretty well. Make sure that you chat with the seller about what you want, what they have, what they have ON STOCK and what they can get. There is also a method to ask for a discount with a sizable order.

That said, there is always one or two items that you forget. I found a local (to me) provider that can provide those odd Barrow fittings.
Quote:

So what is the point of this you may ask?

Well I didn't want to mount the Aquaero in front of the case and break the Gunmetal look, in combination with the fact I was going to struggle fit it having a top mount 480. So where to put the Aquaero...thus the idea of side mount was born!
Very Interesting. I'll be watching your progress on this front. I am struggling where my Aquaero is going to go. It has bounced around from various locations in the pedestal, the front of the case, top, side, between the motherboard and the motherboard tray ... almost everywhere.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

You should put in the SM8 in your head title. Alot more people will show up for sure.

TCO
Yep, I showed up, now that I found it in the CaseLabs Owners Club forum...

Looking forward to this one. I just sold my SM8 w/ Pedestal and got a Two Tone S5 (White / Gunmetal) on the way!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts