Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who were wondering if the Antec kuhler CPU coolers could be modded to fit AMD/ATi GPU's. It has been done for the red team!

First off, the use of zipties was not my idea, and credit must be given where credit is due. I came across the idea to do this from following some of the guys on the green team, namely cravenmild. His build log is listed [=here[/]http://www.overclock.net/t/1086286/complete-build-log-zotac-560ti-corsair-h70#post_14496907]here[/]. The nvidia card spacing is larger than that of AMD's, so I had to measure to be sure:

71e30e1d.jpg

Luckily I had a spare H50 bracket from my old build, so I placed it over the back of my card to see if it would fit... but the bracket was too big. However, after using the h50 pump to measure the spacing of the holes, it became apparent that there was still room to use zipties. So to Newegg and RadioShack I went:

f79bac46.jpg

121e2c5a.jpg

Fans for the case and all of the new rads:
f41ff978.jpg

d45f0c31.jpg

And then for the part youve been waiting for, the Antec kuhler 920 on my MSI 6970 Lightning:

Cleaning the old thermal paste off:
4236953a.jpg

And finally fitting the cooler to the GPU:
7b957f21.jpg

7b196130.jpg

And the finished product:
ba443f26.jpg

I know its not nice and tidy, but this was taken right after I threw the cooler in the case. Temps dropped by 4-5 degrees C at idle and 30 degrees C at load. Yes, you read right, 30 degrees(from 85 to 55), and that was with an overclock from 940 core to 1000 core -- stock voltages and mem timings. The good thing about this mod is that you dont have to clean out your loop. all I have to do now is vacuum it
wink.gif

Oh I must also mention... for like $2 (originally $10) you guys should pick up some of this to clean the insides of your pc and PCB's. It goes anywhere and works wonders. Picks up stuff even left behind by dusting air. You can get it at radioshack now. I havent even gone through the first one I brought yet. Its safe to roll on your electronic devices too -- cleaned my mobo and graphics card using it and now theyre sparkling clean! No more dust
smile.gif

d5ddf89d.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Los Hog! Couldn't let the green team have all the fun
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I upgrade, I may go dual gpu in the future to try this out but, I'm happy with what I have now and with how much more quiet my system has become
smile.gif

·
Registered
972 Posts
My only concern is how well will the quick-ties hold up over time. Do the holes not line up to where you could use a bracket?

Great info here though... Thanks

EDIT:

Check it out, cyber clean at amazon....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

My only concern is how well will the quick-ties hold up over time. Do the holes not line up to where you could use a bracket?

Great info here though... Thanks
You could custom make one, however I will show you a pic of the bracket when I get home over the mounting holes. It's going to be very tight but the zip ties are surprisingly solid. Makes the card lighter too so it doesn't droop.

And mrip i thought about that too but i don't think the memory will overheat bc I have 3 fans blowing on the heat sink and the nvidia guys haven't had any problems. That's the reason I haven't oc'd the memory. If I have time I'll run the card through its paces in furmark and I will let you know.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
That's amazing! Considering it as part of the next upgrade..
But i'd get a smaller cooler as i have 2x 6850/6870's. I'd need 2 coolers yeah? :/

Wouldn't mind making it go from the 6870 then to the 6850 seeing as it's alot cooler card!

'cause heat is stopping my from going to 1GHz with both cards i'm fairly sure.. Besides i don't like them running at 74c (when they go to 75c they get rendering errors)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts