Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently built a workstation/HTPC rig around an Antec ISK 110 case.

Core i5-3570K + Gigabyte H61N-USB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard (Microcenter combo)
Intel HD 4000 graphics
2x4GB 30nm Samsung DDR3
128GB Samsung 830 SSD
500GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD

This case is a bit of a cable management nightmare, and you can basically forget about neat cable management in this case. There is simply not enough room. The best you can do is keep the wires out of the CPU fan's way, and that's about it. However, the form factor is incredible considering that there is a 3570K and two drives inside.

I initially had some reservations about putting a 3570K into a case with a 90W PSU, but after some extensive research I learned that a 90W PSU would be more than sufficient for a 3570K that was not going to be overclocked. I checked out the PSU that came with the ISK 110, and it comes with a nice power brick made by Delta. The internal DC-DC converter has Nippon Chemi-Con caps and looks well-made. It has no trouble running the hardware in this rig even at full load. Even a 30-minute run of Prime95 was fine without any undervolting.

Exterior:

Assembled:

Back side, showing SSD and 2.5" HDD:

Close-up of DC-DC converter, showing Nippon Chemi-Con capacitors:

Size comparison with a standard 3.5" WD Caviar Black hard drive:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Nice! Makes me want to start my sff build. Why can't February come here fast enough? FFFUUUU

EDIT: Wrong month lol

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
drool.gif

killer, man... very impressive and IMO a lot cleaner execution (wire mgmt) than you're giving yourself credit for.

Any idea if there's a way to get a 200W PSU into that thing? Would be fun to hack the mesh off that panel, run a full-size cooler (Noctua, Megahalems, etc) and crank the volts.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by She loved E View Post

drool.gif

killer, man... very impressive and IMO a lot cleaner execution (wire mgmt) than you're giving yourself credit for.

Any idea if there's a way to get a 200W PSU into that thing? Would be fun to hack the mesh off that panel, run a full-size cooler (Noctua, Megahalems, etc) and crank the volts.
Yes, you can use a Pico-PSU (google it), I think they go up to 150W or perhaps 200W. And the side panel can be removed, there is no cutting required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryg37 View Post

would this SFF be able to do any gaming since it has no GPU. Would it be able to run something along the lines of Dota 2?
The HD4000 graphics on the 3570K can handle quite a few games pretty decently, as long as you're not trying to play at 1080P or higher on max detail settings.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
If I wanted to use an A10-5800K with this build and I bought a 150W pico-PSU, how would I plug it in?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfortehfun View Post

If I wanted to use an A10-5800K with this build and I bought a 150W pico-PSU, how would I plug it in?

The external power brick connects to the motherboard power connecter which has cables for molex, sata, a 4-pin cpu.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
So the internal DC-DC converter included with the cases isn't needed?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yep, it's built into the motherboard header.You can take out the power supply in that case and use the extra space for cable management.

• Rep+
Reactions: funfortehfun

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfortehfun View Post

So the internal DC-DC converter included with the cases isn't needed?
The Pico PSU is a DC-DC converter, just like the one that comes with the ISK 110. If you wanted to build a system in an ISK 110 that would draw more than 90W, all you would need besides the PicoPSU is a power brick which can easily be found online.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
has anyone tried fitting a pico PSU in theirs?

I'm about to get myself a A10 5800k and undervolt+underclock it as the 5700 will never be available down this side of the world. I'm pretty sure my stock 80w PSU will cry the moment it gets powered on and i cant seemed to find any reference to anyone that have done a PSU swap on this

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadj View Post

Anyone know if I could fit an a10-5800k in this? is there a similar case with a bigger psu?
no reason why a 5800k wont fit in, question is how are you going to feed the beast. no idea about similar case with bigger PSU but i guess you can always use a pico psu but i've yet to see examples of anyone doing it.

I guess i'd take it up to myself to play around when i have time to buy them

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadj View Post

Anyone know if I could fit an a10-5800k in this? is there a similar case with a bigger psu?
There would be zero issues fitting an A10-5800K or any other CPU in here. As long as a Mini-ITX board exists for the CPU that you want to use, you're good to go.

If you wanted to install a more power-hungry CPU like the A10-5800K, you can use a 150W Pico-PSU in place of the standard 90W DC-DC converter. The Pico PSU 150W costs about $45 and will be more than sufficient even for an A10-5800K.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The current selection of FM2 mini-ITX boards is... (drumroll)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157340

I'd like to see more mini-ITX FM2 motherboards...please, ASUS?
rolleyes.gif

Any recommendations on a good low-profile CPU cooler that would fit in this case? I know there's the Thermalright AXP-100 coming out soon.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts