Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] - Azza Helios Mod

2688 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  JRHudson
Hey OCN,

This is my first build log, so here it goes.

I built my sig rig a while ago, and I decided to take the plunge into water cooling. I'm sticking with my Azza Helios, which is wayyy too small to fit a rad in. The plan is to cut out the top of the case, and to replace it with a radiator housing, cut out the side panel fan, and replace it with a window.

I've already sleeved all of my PSU cables, getting all of it to fit is the main goal! My apologies ahead of time, I only have a camera phone to take these pics with, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Parts:
XPSC RASA RX360 Watercooling Kit
7/16th ID Compression Fittings
Sleeves from MDPC!

This is what the my case used to look like:

The Inside

And I've taken it all apart!

First Step: Side Window!
Here's the side panel disassembled, with the new window cut out.

I'll clean it up, and glue in the window tomorrow.

I've already started working on the radiator housing too, its going to look alot like large trapazoid. This is going to become the mounting plate for the radiator!

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get a bunch of work done on the motherboard tray, putting in more cable routing holes, and grommeting them!

Thanks for looking!
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul.;14215350
Update!

I actually did this a couple of days ago, but here it is. I got all of the holes in my case cut out to accept some corsair grommets (like in the 800D).

I used a angle grinder to widen the holes, then finished them with a dremel. The grommets kind of 'snap' into the holes, but I also stuck them in place with some hot glue to make sure they don't move.

Corsiar was kind enough to send me some grommets from the 800D:
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26332

These are all holes I had cut previously, but they could look better!
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26334

Got the first one to fit.

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26335

Finished some more, just 3 more to go.

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26336

Finished! I didn't put a grommet in that bottom hole though, it was already cut out and too large to accept one.
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26337

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26338

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, makes the case look alot neater. Plus the grommets were free =D

More Progress on the radiator housing too! Like I said, I was building a custom radiator housing to hold the RX360. I made it out of some sheet Aluminium, here are some pics of the build!

Here's the top panel for the mount (even though I already posted it)
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26232

And I unfortunately don't have any pictures of me making the housing, my phone was dead when I was fabricating it. Made the 4 sides of the housing with shear and bent them into the right shape with a brake.

This is it taped together as a mock, ready to be welded:
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26339

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26340

All welded!
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26343

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26344

Now I need to cut out a hole in the top of the case so I can fit the rad in.
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26341

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26342

I also marked out the hole pattern I have on the bottom of the radiator housing to mount it to the case - I'm mounting it with some 4-40 screws.

And here's the housing on top of the case, just checking fit
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26345

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26346

It fit pretty good, being careful with measuring when I was fab'ing the panels made for a good fit. I ended up cleaning up the sides and filling in some gaps with body filler to get it all nice and smooth.

Painting it flat black:
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26348

picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26347

Added a coat of instant clear coat, made it match my case much better, you can see the cutout of the side panel in the background
picture.php?albumid=4863&pictureid=26350

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Time to start assembling my stuff back together and mock up the loop. I'll have some more pictures of stuff going together later on! And let me know what you think so far! I could always use some feedback
biggrin.gif
how in the hell did you convince corsair to send you there grommets!?

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.