Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first time to document my basically first build ( I mean spent a lot of $$$ ). I've been assembling systems for about a few years now ( say 15 or more and about 300 desktops ). I mean assembling as I just buy stuff and put it together but these past couple of years I've been " Modding " simple stuff like water cooling / painting / drilling / etc.

Please be kind as I am not really a modder and just trying my make my system look cool. This is my most expensive build and most of the parts about 95% ( basing on Qty ) from the US as I am in the Philippines. Shipping alone cost about 600 USD and counting.

I am open to suggestions but basically I could only work with my parts on hand as it takes $$$ and time ( 3 weeks from the merchant to me ) to order parts.

I already have a few parts from my old rig that I would like to use so, These are all not newly purchased by majority was purchased last year and this year. I am not building an extreme rig but an almost bang for the buck rig ( Games / Photo & Video editing and Games ). Overkill some might say but I got great deal on the intel e5-4650 that was too hard to pass so I built my new rig around it. My current rig is an 3930k with msi big bang x power ii.

Not all parts will be used and plans might change. I do not even have a complete list of parts specially the fittings.

Parts List ( Growing List ):

System:

2 x Intel E5-4650 Xeon [ on hand ]
1 x Asus Z9PE-D8 WS [ on hand ]
3 x PowerColor HD7950 3GB GDDR5 (V2) [ on hand ]
1 x PowerColor HD7950 3GB GDDR5 BOOST STATE(UEFI READY) [ on hand ]
4 x Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 [ on hand ]
2 x Crucial M500 240GB [ on hand ]
3 x WD Red 4tb [ on hand ]
1 x Seasonic x-1250 ( would this be enough to power all of these + decent OC? ) [ on hand ]

Water cooling:

2 x EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal [ on hand ]
1 x XSPC Twin D5 Dual 5.25" Bay Clear Reservoir - Dual Laing D5 / MCP655 [ on hand ]
2 x Swiftech MCP655-PWM-DRIVE 12v Water Pump Module - PWM Enabled (Single Version) [ on hand ]
4 x EK FC Link R48X0/58X0 - SLI Connection (EK-FC Link R48X0/58X0) [ on hand ]
1 x EK ASUS Z9PE-D8 Series Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Acetal + Nickel (EK-FB KIT ASUS Z9PE-D8 - Acetal+Nickel) [ on hand ]
4 x EK-FC7950 - EN (Nickel) [ on hand ]
1 x EK-FC Bridge QUAD Parallel [ on hand ]
4 x EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (360) [ 2 on hand ] [ 2 to be ordered ]
1 x EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (120) [ to be ordered ]
1 x cylindrical reservoir 250mm [ on hand ]

Case / Accessories:

1 x Mountain mods Ascension extended case [ In Transit ]
1 x XSPC 5.25" Bay Temperature Sensor Dual Display Mount (BAYSENS) [ on hand ]
2 x Phobya G 1/4 Thread Inline Temperature Sensor with C/F Digital Gauge-Syle Thermometer (71177) [ 1 on hand ] [ 1 to be ordered ]
4 x PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 5/8 OD" Tubing - UV Blue [ on hand ]
3 x PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 7/16"ID x 5/8" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Brilliant UV Blue (PFLEXA10-758-B) [ on hand ]
5 x XSPC Hose 7/16″ ID, 5/8″ OD (15.9/11.1mm) - Clear [ to be ordered ]
3 x Tuniq TX-4 ( Any better non conductive suggestion ? ) [ to be ordered ]
13 x 120 mm Fan Grill - Black [ to be ordered ]
13 x Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B5AP-15 120mm 1850 rpm [ on hand ]
1 x ICY Dock MB455 5 x SATA I/II Multi Drive Hot-Swap Module [ to be ordered ]

Problems / Issues ( Growing List ):

1. I ordered parts from Frozen CPU and one of the Phobya G 1/4 Thread Inline Temperature Sensor with C/F Digital Gauge-Syle Thermometer (71177) was missing and the 1 had a factory defect where in one of the wires are cut ( I'll just fix it ) by the black plastic and the metal fitting.

2. Ordering at MM took a few days and a few email exchanges as they seem to not prefer credit cards and asking a few documents proving authenticity. ( A few for me means more that normal which usually takes none to 1 ).

3. One of the holes on the MM motherboard trays is missing. not sure if an oversight or it was really designed that way.

4. EK rads don't have the screw holes threaded correctly. I stripped most of my included ek screw and bought stainless ones and a tap for the screw holes.

I would need to order some parts.
Pictures to follow as I don't want to use my phone for pics.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The contents:
- As you can see only 1 temperature box on the upper left hand corner. the 2 bigger boxes are for the pumps.

the one beside the pumps. 1 small box:

Bay Res:

Pumps:

Assembled bay res + Pumps:

The EK board water block:

The Temperature holder:

The Temp Guage

The factory defect ( wire broken ):

Anti kink coils for those tight bends:

The Veins?

The main components:

The Processor block ek supremacy evo copper:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The famous MM of packaging!

The Case:

Mocking up since I still don't have all the parts:

Installing the board to the tray:
One of the holes on the MM motherboard trays is missing. not sure if an oversight or it was really designed that way. ( marked with red arrows )

I needed to make some sort of additional support for the missing standoff and I added a few more since I was already on it and for additional support too. ( marked with red arrows )

With the block for the motherboard and the processors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water Cooling

I needed to put a water block on one of my hd7950 as I just recently got the ek-fc link. It was out of stock in my country for months! Was often told that stocks are coming but never came. So, I ordered online.

Needed to remove stuff from my not so old rig.

Rebuilt the old rig with extra parts.

I was able to put all the rads int place.

The chipset block:

The VRM blocks:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Aero, I have been looking all over the web for someone with a similar setup to my own. I see that you are using E5-4650s in your Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board. Have you been able to successfully POST the board with those processors? I have tried E5-4650s and E5-4617s and I cannot get them to work with the board. I upgraded the bios chip with no success and was just curious if you were able to get them going in your rig. If so could you tell me what bios version and board revision you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome, that is really good to know. Thank you! There must be something else up with my board then. I know the processors work because I have used both pairs successfully in an Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 but it has both the 4650s and the 4617s listed on its cpu compatibility chart.

·
Fusion is Future
1,393 Posts
Dat mobo
thumb.gif

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good stuff!
thumbsupsmiley.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts