Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Intro:
Welcome to my Build Log for my watercooled Bitfenix Prodigy, nicknamed "Blue Jay!"
This build has been a long time coming. I loved the Prodigy ever since it came out, but didn't have the funds, time, or excuse to buy one and design a build around it. I still don't have those things, but I got fed up with waiting
biggrin.gif
. This build will be used for two purposes: Gaming and Photo Editing. The second being the main reason for picking this specific motherboard as it will be a *gasp* Hackintosh. Please excuse my language, but Adobe CS5 runs significantly better in OS X vs Windows in my experience.

Parts:
Main Components:
Motherboard: GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU: 3570k
Memory: 2 x 8GB XMS3
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 2GB
OSX Boot Drive: SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB
Windows Boot Drive: Crucial M500 120GB
Windows Storage Drive: WD Black Series 750GB
PSU: SilverStone Strider ST60F-PS 600W with PP05-E Flat Flexible Short Cable Set
Cooling:
Reservoir: Swiftech Micro Res Rev. 2
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X White
Pump Cooling: Swiftech MCP35x Heatsink
Front Radiator: Magicool 180mm Rad
Front Radiator Fan: SilverStone AP182 Fan
Rear Radiator: Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120mm
Rear Radiator Fan: TBD
Top Fans: SilverStone AP123
CPU Block: Switfech Apogee XT
VGA Block: EK FC680-GTX+ Nickel
Masterkleer 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Clear tubing
Mayhems Pastel Blue Berry coolant
Plans
Fan Controller
Custom Windowed Side Panel

Table of Contents
(2/21/14) First Test Fit: Motherboard, Storage, Front Rad, PSU in place
(2/22/14) Second Test Fit: Added Res and Pump
(3/05/14) Major Update: It boots! House cleaning, GPU disassembled, rads and fans fitted.
(3/08/14) Leak Test: Forget this, I'm getting compression fittings.
(3/12/14) EK Block Polished: Parts came in. Got the GPU block polished.
(3/17/14) Leak Test: Loop assembled with new parts. Leak test commenced.
(3/18/14) Leaks were a thing: New/old fan re-wired. Drain port gets it's first test
rolleyes.gif

(5/06/14) Res mounted with fill port: Loop itself is declared finished.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Minor Updates:
2/22/14 Thread created
2/23/14 Added Poll about fittings and posted about coolant.
2/24/14 Posted about water blocks.
3/05/14 Updated the parts list and Table of Contents to reflect changes and new posts
5/06/14 Updated the parts list and Table of Contents to reflect changes and new posts

Current Status: See Post Here

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First Test Fit:
2/21/2014
Got some new parts to throw in there!

I noticed one of the pins on the socket got bent (I don't have a cover for it).
A pocket knife and a gentle hand got it bent back in to place.

Tested cabling with two extra 2.5" drives I had laying around (one isn't even SATA) because my SSD's are still in my main rig right now.
I really like the short cables from SilverStone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second Test Fit:
02/22/2014 Update
Got my pump today so I tried to figure out where I was going to put it (and the res). The cable from the front/side panel were more obtrusive than I was expecting so it looks like I'm going to have to move the pump to the other side of the case. This was also needed because the heatsync + rad + HDD + AP182 are too wide to fit in line with each other. This should still work out fine.

It's definitely a weird way to mount and place the res, but it works I guess... Something I noticed was how high the USB3.0 cables came up off the header. I hope I'll have enough clearance for the rear 120 rad. If not I might try to throw my 240 up top, but I won't be able to test those out until I disassemble my main rig which I'm not going to do for another week when I'm on Spring Break.

Amazon Payments finally went through, so I should have my CPU sometime next week! AP182 is also on its way.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to figure out what fittings to use. I currently have some barbs that came with my various rads and blocks, but I'm open to change. I'm looking to use 3/8"ID clear tubing with Mayhems Pastel Blue Berry coolant.

Photo taken from Homeronte's post in the Mayhem's users club.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,605 Posts
Hey its looking like a good plan so far. I voted for white fittings but they tend to run very expensive, expect $10-$15 per piece (ouch). I personally used XSPC fittings cause of their price and quality, but another option would be to buy used fittings from the OCN marketplace. To be honest, you could just make due with whatever you have and replace the fittings when you have the funds later on, that's what I did when I first started water cooling in a TJ07. I didn't get matching fittings until over a year later and even then, I still had a few mismatching angle adapters.

The fittings aren't as important as the blocks and coolant since you barely see the fittings (compressions obviously look better), but it really depends on your taste and (mostly) your budget.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exciting update with regards to parts going in!
CPU has shipped and should be here in a day or two. Same for the 180mm fan up front.
Tubing, barbs, and a t-block should be here by the end of the week.

And if everything goes well...
drum.gif

I should be picking up one of these:

and one of these:

This build just keeps getting sexier
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post

Hey its looking like a good plan so far. I voted for white fittings but they tend to run very expensive, expect $10-$15 per piece (ouch). I personally used XSPC fittings cause of their price and quality, but another option would be to buy used fittings from the OCN marketplace. To be honest, you could just make due with whatever you have and replace the fittings when you have the funds later on, that's what I did when I first started water cooling in a TJ07. I didn't get matching fittings until over a year later and even then, I still had a few mismatching angle adapters.

The fittings aren't as important as the blocks and coolant since you barely see the fittings (compressions obviously look better), but it really depends on your taste and (mostly) your budget.
Thanks for the advice! It was more of just a curiosity thing with what people think would look better. I found some barbs on the marketplace and am going to use those until I better figure out what kind of angle fittings would make things more convenient.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,605 Posts
That's gonna be a sexy block. Do you plan to polish it to remove the frosting on the plexi?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't know people did that! That would be cool, but involves effort haha. Do you have a link to someone who's done it?

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drool.gif

Thanks for that link. Definitely worth my time!

Small update:
The AP182 and 3570k showed up today.
Popped that sucker in and thankfully everything booted up just fine.
Installing the forbidden OS now
ninja.gif

Probably 80% operational and running on air right now.

Anyone know what size radiator screws are and where I can get some?

Pics to come this weekend.

EDIT: The AP182 moves a stupid amount of air. I'm talking substantial breeze felt at 10 feet away when it's on full blast. It's honestly a little scary.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,605 Posts
Beat me to it, but yes it looks amazing especially when you run colored fluid through the plexi!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp, all the blocks showed up this weekend. I'm about to disassemble my main rig to steal a radiator from it and clean it out (it's pretty gross and idk why).
Pics of the mayhem to follow.
Also pics of the Mayhems
thumb.gif

I've decided to wait to polish the EK block as an excuse to replace the fittings later and because Nashville got hit by an ice storm and I couldn't get out and get supplies today and I'm too impatient to wait.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good news everyone!
(and a long overdue, nice and long, update)

I should now have everything I need to get this up and running*
I'm writing this post from my laptop, so I apologize for the images not being all pretty and post-processed.

Things I've done since the last update:
1)Gotten Blue Jay up and running on air just fine and booting into Mavericks.
Successfully POSTing

Sexy stock cooler
tongue.gif

Test fitting the GPU

Starting to get a little cramped
2) Brought in a table for project space and assembled all the components.
DIS FAN THO

New watercooling bits
biggrin.gif

A closer look

Looks like it should all fit in there...
The old rig (in desperate need of cleaning) from which I am stealing a rad.

3) Drained the old rig:
This is why push-only is bad, mmkay? (can't reach between fan and rad to clean)

The ol' GTX 275 with a universal block

Empty bucket

Might have over-tightened a little
tongue.gif
I was a nervous my first time.

Bucket after. Gross!
Draining setup

4) Made a trip to the hardware store for a screwdriver for the GTX680.
Everything was great up until this point

Paste removed

This was the smallest they had in the store! *grumbles*
Finally off!

4a) Also picked up some machine screws for the rads
1.5" length 6/32nds machine screws fit just right! (The AP182 is 32mm thick)

The Black Ice GTX Xtreme took M4 metric screws. 30mm works just barely for mounting through the case. I may use 35mm and some silicone washers though.

Speaking of which, 3/8ths length (shortest they had) were too long to mount the radiator directly to the case, but two silicone washers fixes that right up and reduces vibrations.

5) Got all the rads and fans test-fitted

So that's it for now. Not pictured is the one fan on the back of the case. I moved it there so I could have two up top.
Let me know what y'all think about the four fans as intake vs. exhaust and if you can think of a better place for the res.

Next on the docket: Cleaning the disgusting old loop and these barbs I bought used and seem to have dye on them.

*...except I'm missing a fitting or two to make the T-Line for draining and a drain valve
There's always something
rolleyes.gif

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,605 Posts
Is the rear fan exhaust? I would have chosen the front and rear as intakes (since those are rads) and the top as exhaust. This also lets you remove the fine mesh inside the metal mesh of the stock filter on the top to remove excessive fan noise.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post

Is the rear fan exhaust? I would have chosen the front and rear as intakes (since those are rads) and the top as exhaust. This also lets you remove the fine mesh inside the metal mesh of the stock filter on the top to remove excessive fan noise.
It was. That's a better idea though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Teaser/Update
Leak testing. Found a couple. Fixed. More to come.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.