Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My name is Alex and this is my first post on the forum. I'm a student from Gold Coast, Australia who loves PC building and gaming
smile.gif

I would like to introduce you to the Vault Boy, a Fallout inspired build

Table of content

First Post
Case Modding Process
Components Overview
Components Update
Painting Rads Update 1
Painting Rads Update 2
Painting Rads Update 3 and Overview
Motherboard Arrival and Testing
Painting SSD and EK Monarch RAM Modules
EK Monarch RAM Modules Installation
Pump Top Arrival
Pump and Res Config
Painted Pumps and Test Fit
Cables Sneak Peek
EK R9-290 Water Block
R9 290 Water Block and Back Plate Installed
Motherboard covers
Bitspower Fittings
IceModz Cables, Small Photo-shoot
Vinyl Stickers
Motherboard Tray Cover, Custom EK-Supremacy EVO, Vinyl Stickers Applied
Acrylic Tubes Bending
Tubing Done, Loop Filled, Small Problem Found
Strength Vault Boy Bobblehead, Photo-shoot
Completion
Final Shots

Over the past 2 months or so I have been working on my first mod project on this itx Bitfenix Prodigy over on the LTT forum and I decided to share it with you guys as well
biggrin.gif
. I know the Prodigy has been out for a while now and there have been plenty really nice looking builds in it but I always wanted to build in one and never had the chance until now. The case mod is pretty much complete, I would post a link to my thread in the LTT forum though I'm not sure if it's allowed.

Firstly I'm gonna let you guys know the purpose of this build as I already have another pretty functional one lol. I'm gonna be using this in my bedroom as a HTPC and for console like gaming, meaning mostly games that you can play with a controller. So pretty much HTPC / Steam Box. However once it's done I will be using it as my main rig while I revamp the other one with some modifications to the case, haven't really decided what exactly yet. Also another reason I started this was because I just wanted to do some case modding for the first time and I gotta tell you it has been a joy working on this. I went with a Fallout theme and mostly with the vault boy because Fallout 3 is my all time favorite game and also I just wanted something different. Most mods for this case have been inspired by Singularity Computers.

Now, what has started as just a case modding project has turned into an actual build sooner than I thought it would.

Anyways enough about that, here are the SPECS:

Case - Modded Bitfenix Prodigy
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU - Intel i5 3570K
GPU - Asus R9 290
RAM - 2 x 4GB G.Skill Rip-Jaws 1600Mhz
SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB
PSU - Silverstone Strider 550W Gold ST55F-G

Radiators - Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 280mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper XT45 240mm
Fans - 2 x Cougar CFD 120mm Blue LED fans, 2 x Cougar CFD 140mm Blue LED fans
Pumps - Dual DDC Pumps with Watercool Heatkiller Dual DDC Pump Top
Reservoir - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic
Fittings - Various Bitspower Enhance Black Sparkle Fittings + Extensions
Tubing - EK 12mm Hardline / Rigid Tubing
CPU Block - EK-Supremacy EVO Clean CSQ Nickel Plexi - Painted Blue
GPU Block - EK-FC R9-290 Nickel Plexi
RAM Block - EK-RAM Monarch X2 Nickel Plexi, EK-RAM Monarch Modules
Coolant - Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow

Cables - IceModz Paracord Individually Sleeved Custom Length Cables Blue & Yellow

Lighting - 3 x White 5.5" DarkSide Connect LED strips from DazMode

- Mods -
Blue and yellow custom painting: entire case,various grills, original Bitfenix case badge, SSD, radiators, EK Monarch RAM modules, EK Supremacy EVO
Fitted 280mm radiator in the top with the Koolance shroud.
Fully custom 10mm clear acrylic front panel with 240mm radiator fitted.
Acrylic floor mod
Dual DDC pumps mounted to the floor
Custom case feet
PSU side covers
Repositioned power/reser switch to the back
Fully custom 2mm clear acrylic side panels
Some 3M carbon fiber vinyl applied to various parts
Aluminum cover for motherboard rear I/O
Lit up acrylic motherboard tray
Custom Vault-Tec vinyl stickers

Other - Strength Vault Boy Bobblehead from Bethesda

I already have some of the components and some are on their way, I will feature everything as I start building.

Let me know what you guys think.

Here it is:

And some shots with the blue LED fans on

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Makes me want to play some of the Fallout games again... Fallout 2 is still a favorite for me
smile.gif
How many times I accidentally shot the poor little flower boys when raiders were passing through. But in my defense, why is a little kid selling flowers when raiders are coming through?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Subbed
biggrin.gif
I kinda want this
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergon View Post

Very putiful!
Much want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18741 View Post

Very nice work on the front panel!
Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

Makes me want to play some of the Fallout games again... Fallout 2 is still a favorite for me
smile.gif
How many times I accidentally shot the poor little flower boys when raiders were passing through. But in my defense, why is a little kid selling flowers when raiders are coming through?
tongue.gif
I never had the chance to play the first two games, only 3 and new vegas. Maybe I'm too young haha
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccRicers View Post

Blue Prodigy FTW. There don't seem to be enough of the blue cases being shown off (I know it's custom painted though). If I didn't have a white Prodigy already, blue would have been my second color choice.
Yea I think blue is pretty cool for a case, specially a smaller one like the prodigy, I just wanted to have something different. This was the black version, I would of went for the factory blue one but I got this pretty cheap second hand and I also wanted to have a go at painting. Plus colored prodigys, other than black and white are only colored on the outside I think, inside is just black

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doginpants12 View Post

Where did you get the custom fan grills from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccRicers View Post

It looks to be this fan grill, just painted blue and yellow. Looking up "biohazard fan grill" online also turns up many like these, from different brands.
Hi. Yup it's something like that, I got it from Performance PCs though $4.99
tongue.gif
here. And then just painted yellow. I would have got some of the nicer MNPCTech radiation ones but I couldn't really afford to spend that much money just for some grills

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
Sub'd
biggrin.gif

I love Fallout , and the modding you've done with the prodigy so far is awesome:thumb:
A real life bonafide mini-nuke:thumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m90 View Post

Subbed
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post

Sub'd
biggrin.gif

I love Fallout , and the modding you've done with the prodigy so far is awesome:thumb:
A real life bonafide mini-nuke:thumb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Smurphy View Post

A fallout inspired build?! I'm so subbed to this
biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot guys
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE

Hey guys,

I decided to upload some pictures of the actual modding process on here as well and a quick overview of some of the components so far
redface.gif

Here we go:

The case as I got into it

Cutting the front with a rotary tool

I originally wanted to use this for the front panel, around the acrylic

The two DDC pumps that I purchased for $50
biggrin.gif

280mm Koolance Shroud

Bitspower 150 reservoir

This was the first parts arrival, pretty much what's in the case at the moment

280mm vs 240mm rads

Love the look of these Cougar fans

Cutting out the top, used a jig saw for this as well as the rotary tool

Small mistake there but it can't be seen due to the Koolance shroud mounted on top
tongue.gif

Power/Reset switch relocated

Koolance shroud and top rad test fit

Cutting out the front panel acrylic, used jig saw for this

Sanding and filing the cut

This is the mock up I used for the cut

Mounting the case feet, also you can see the cut I did for the end tank of the front rad

Test fit

Side panel test fit, this was 3mm thick, however I ended up using 2mm thick

Took the entire case apart

Acrylic floor test fit

Test fitted the PSU side covers

Mounted the power/reset switch

That was pretty much it for the mods, next up painting

Used some sanding paper for prep and the just Rustoleum Spray Paint. Really good spray paint by the way
redface.gif

Once the painting had dried up nicely after about a week, I reassembled the case. Used M4 allen key bolts where I could and rivets where needed, mostly in spots where they won't be seen.

Grills painted

And installed

This is what I had originally planed for the top but just didn't like the look of those dust filters in yellow. I wanted the fans to be seen. This was also the reason why I went top intake and front exhaust

Another test fit of the front panel acrylic, now with the protective cover off

Also test fitter the rad here

This was the back-up top dust filter that I got, but it ended up being too big. However it does stay in there pretty nicely and it's easy to take out and clean. I will see how the dust build up is in the case when it's done. If it's pretty bad than I'm gonna use this

That's about it guys, afterwards it just looked as you've seen it in the first post.

Hope you've enjoyed my fast tracked little journey of doing this mod.

Also thank you everyone for the kind words and for liking my build so far. I have more ideas of how I can take the mods further but need more components to test fit.

Right now I am waiting for more components to arrive, I'll keep you guys posted as I go along with this build
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really like the look of the top! The rad extension looks kinda cool together with the handles of the prodigy...

PS: when you finished this project, how about you send me that green buddy in the back? I would pay for shipping
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergon View Post

I really like the look of the top! The rad extension looks kinda cool together with the handles of the prodigy...

PS: when you finished this project, how about you send me that green buddy in the back? I would pay for shipping
biggrin.gif
Thanks hahaha nope I will be working on that one next, when this one is finished

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwrath View Post

Nice build how did you paint it? did you use primer at all?
Hi. Thanks for liking it. No I didn't use any primer, just a quick surface prep with some sanding paper and the I used Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint , deep blue for the case and sun yellow for the grills. It a pretty good spray paint, sticks really good and it didn't take many coats to get a good finish
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciobanulx View Post

Hi. Thanks for liking it. No I didn't use any primer, just a quick surface prep with some sanding paper and the I used Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint , deep blue for the case and sun yellow for the grills. It a pretty good spray paint, sticks really good and it didn't take many coats to get a good finish
biggrin.gif
I am picking up the 350D (finally picked it after getting a quote of Parvum 2.0 for $500 -_-) with the Aluminum air brush I guess I need to sand it ? I am not 100% sure how to address this

1 - 20 of 241 Posts