Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building Log

New member here . Thought I would show my new Haf XB Build.

Computer Specs:
Case: Coolermaster Haf XB
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV GENE
CPU: Intel 3960X
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4x4GB)
Video Card: 2x Asus Geforce GTX690 4GB PCIe (Quad SLI)
Power Supply: Corsair 860i
Hard Drives: 2x Samsung 840 Pro (Raid 0)

Liquid Cooling:
Reservoir/ Pump: Koolance RP-1250
Radiators: Black Ice GT Stealth 120 & 240
Fans: 3x Noctua NF-F12
CPU Block: Koolance CPU-380i
Video Card Block: 2x Koolance VID-NX690

I will post pics real soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

AppleMark




AppleMark
AppleMark



I'll take some more photo's soon. I have a 360 Radiator out of case I have things attached too right now until I get my 240 and 120 in the mail.

I have never mod'd a case before and I have done a hack job. So I would like some advise if possible on how to do better cut outs on thicker chassis parts.. as you see the motherboard tray is steel. I tried using a plasma cutter, then switched to a grinder. I have a second mother tray I could mod and replace once I figure out a better technique.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to move 2nd 690 card up to the 16x slot following seg//fault's advice. I thought I would save myself 5minutes and not drain the liquid out of the sli adapter. Used blue shop paper towels between both 690's and unscrewed it. I ended up leaking more liquid then I thought. It basically drained down between the water block and the 690 and went under the pch heatsink on the gene mobo. I didn't realize.. Turned it back on and nothing happened... Spent 30min thinking I had a loose cable until I realized I had a puddle on my mobo... Aaaah!!!

I pulled it all out... Cleaned the mobo and under the heatsink. No cigar...

Bought a new rampage iv gene today...,

pulled the block of the 690. Had coolant res on it.. Cleaned it using que tips and rubbing alcohol..

Put it all back together and thank god I only lost the mobo ... Dual 690's are working!!!!!!

I'll post some pictures of the coolant res on the mobo and 690..

Also should have my 240 and 120 radiator today.. All pumped to get this in the case..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,766 Posts
That's quite a thermal load you are going to be putting on those dual and single rad...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post

That's quite a thermal load you are going to be putting on those dual and single rad...
It indeed is and I don't really see why as you have the highest quality blocks for both gpu and cpu why cut back on radiator.
Or is it a space issue.
Anyway the higher the delta the better the dissipation of a rad, and however this can run 1000W with a 20 degrees Celsius delta I don't see why one would do it.(not that I don't overload my rads but you see my point if there is room for them why would you)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

It indeed is and I don't really see why as you have the highest quality blocks for both gpu and cpu why cut back on radiator.
Or is it a space issue.
Anyway the higher the delta the better the dissipation of a rad, and however this can run 1000W with a 20 degrees Celsius delta I don't see why one would do it.(not that I don't overload my rads but you see my point if there is room for them why would you)
help me understand.. are you saying i should have more radiators or better quality rads?

on the haf xb case there is room for 2x120mm on the front/ 1x120mm on the upper level back, and 2x80mm on the lower level back
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper101 View Post

help me understand.. are you saying i should have more radiators or better quality rads?

on the haf xb case there is room for 2x120mm on the front/ 1x120mm on the upper level back, and 2x80mm on the lower level back
I'm not saying either as it will run withing specs with those rads but it won't run extremely cool.
If you want it too run extremely cool I advise to take the thickest rads avaiable made from copper so that'd be 1 240mm one one 120mm one and a 160mm one.

To emphasize what I said earlier let's say the ambient temp is 20 degrees celsius constant.

Your coolant will be 30 degrees or it will be 50 degrees.

Once the 30 degrees coolant goes trough a rad the rad will absorb and dissipate some heat.
That same rad will however dissipate more heat with the 50 degrees coolant as the difference with the room temperature is greater. (however all components will run hotter the loop is able to dissipate more)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

I'm not saying either as it will run withing specs with those rads but it won't run extremely cool.
If you want it too run extremely cool I advise to take the thickest rads avaiable made from copper so that'd be 1 240mm one one 120mm one and a 160mm one.

To emphasize what I said earlier let's say the ambient temp is 20 degrees celsius constant.

Your coolant will be 30 degrees or it will be 50 degrees.

Once the 30 degrees coolant goes trough a rad the rad will absorb and dissipate some heat.
That same rad will however dissipate more heat with the 50 degrees coolant as the difference with the room temperature is greater. (however all components will run hotter the loop is able to dissipate more)
Thanks. I see what your saying.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top