Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, heres is my N00b Build, this is the first time i've ever built a water cooled pc:D

Case: Corsair Carbide Air540

I did alot of research before deciding on a design / fittings / tube size etc (ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH) my biggest issue was radiator size.

I already owned most of my computer components before deciding to water cool

CPU: Intel 3930k
Ram: 32GB ram 4X 8gb dominator Corsair memory (not sure on speed its been ages since i looked)
Mainboard: Intel DX79SI - Alright board and only reason i purchased it was because i got it for $120 OEM board
Graphics Card : Gigabyte GTX Titan

I finally decided on what radiator thanks to the help of onereactor on his Build log
http://www.overclock.net/t/1414092/build-log-3-loop-corsair-carbide-air-540-monster-the-tcell/70

I decided on the following componets
I have left prices attached so everyone can get a rough estimation for later builds

1 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm $99.00

1 Phobya 4Pin Molex to 6x 3Pin Fan Splitter PCB $6.00

1 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm $65.00

1 Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g) $9.00

1 Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir for PMP-450/S Pumps Rev.2.0 $155.00

2 Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump $198.00

1 XSPC Razor GTX Titan / 780 Waterblock $125.00

1 XSPC Razor GTX Titan / 780 / 770 Backplate $35.00

1 XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock for Intel $59.00

5 Phobya G-Silent 12 1500rpm Red LED 120mm Fan $60.00

3 PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing Black 7/16ID 5/8OD $27.00

13 XSPC G1/4 Black Chrome 7/16 Compression Fitting $58.50

3 XSPC G1/4 45 Degree Rotary Fitting Black Chrome $15.00

5 XSPC G1/4 90 Degree Rotary Fitting Black Chrome $45.00

1 PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Clear Additive 15ml $16.00

2 Koolance QD3 Female Quick Disconnect G1/4 No-spill Coupling $32.00

2 Koolance QD3 Male Quick Disconnect G1/4 No-spill Coupling $32.00

2 Bitspower T-Block Matte Black $24.00

1 Phobya Flexible Thread Funnel G1/4 Black $7.50

1 Koolance Pressure Valve VLV-VL002K $6.50

2 Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Low-Profile Stop Fitting $10.00

2 XSPC LCD Temperature Display Red V2 + G1/4 Inline Sensor $30.00

My first recommendation to anyone building a water cooling pc (ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FITTINS BEFORE STARTING) luckly i was like an excited school kid and looked at all my stuff before the build as i had 1 of 13 compression fittings stuffed.
mad.gif

I started off by putt in the fittings i was going to use into the radiator and mount the Rads and fans

When i had finished i decided that i didn't like the way the air would move in the case and decided it would be better to exhaust the top instead of intake, also i may need to mount washers unde the nice Alpha Cool radiator screws (see copper screws)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a bit of an issue, the fitting would hit hard up against the ps2 ports on the test mounted mainboard (old crappy 1366 socket board) thankfully the board i was using doesnt have that issue but it means later down the track ill need to rethink my loop.

Mounting the radiator / pumps (hard an interesting time filling it / removing air pockets was hard took over 1 hour.

I had a problem getting quick disconnects with compression fittings that would fit my hose size 7/16 so i decided to get the G1/4 to get around this issue

XSPC Water block instructions state (remove the 20 screws from titan graphics card) while i counted 20, some cards actually have 22 screws, 2 of them are near the dvi / DP / Hdmi ports !!! the cover should come off easily with no pulling !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mounting the XSPC Raystorm block

Had an issue with the length of the front panel wires, they dont reach the plugs on the mainboard / Neither do the USB 3 plugs, looks like ill have to make an extension

powered up system with components turned on after hour and half trying to get all the air out of the system.

Side Panel on

water temp sensors attached (Room ambient temps in darwin suck 35degrees !!! need aircon), i will have to cut a nice place for them into the side panel (FYI i live in a place that has typical day of 32degrees (90 Degrees F) so water temps are alot higher then most places)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean straight instead of the way I have them ?

Unfortunately the 2nd hard disk bay gets in the way you can only put Half height disks in it
frown.gif

·
Registered
633 Posts
Corsair is apparently sending out free front panel extensions for the Air 540. Mine should be here tomorrow or early next week...I'll let you know the size difference, if you want.
smile.gif

~Ibrahim~

• Rep+
Reactions: Kornyj

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great, have just go this case myself so definitely keeping up with this thread.

Any ideas on where to put the temp gauges, i was considering above the drive bays on mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by upahill View Post

Looks great, have just go this case myself so definitely keeping up with this thread.

Any ideas on where to put the temp gauges, i was considering above the drive bays on mine.
friend of mine has a lazer cutter was going to get him to cut some nice machined holes in the side panel but i worry that it will take the paint off .

so i may have to dremel it myself
frown.gif

Right side panel, or i could cut it into the window on the left side of the case
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornyj View Post

Do you mean straight instead of the way I have them ?

Unfortunately the 2nd hard disk bay gets in the way you can only put Half height disks in it
frown.gif
Sorry wasn't so clear..
O meant the top rad, is it possible to have the barbs towards the front of the case as to oppose to the way you have it the pictures.
Or will the end tank interfere with the 360 radiator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts