Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to those that nominated me for the July Mod of the Month.

Introduction:
This is my second case mod, and I am doing it to make my sons jealous
devil-smiley-019.gif
and to challenge myself. It is a full 'balls out' mod from my perspective and I've tried to put together an absolutely premium system without getting into the tier of diminishing returns or being completely upside-down on the price to performance ratio. I normally buy somewhere around 3-4 items down from the latest, greatest. This time around I'm shooting more for a 2nd 'best'. An example, I am using the i7 3770K rather than the Extreme Series. I'm also using dual GTX 670 FTW in SLI rather than a GXT 690. In both of these examples, the price/performance ratio is just too out of whack for me to consider the top end products.

This will be my first use of custom loop water cooling. I plan to do a custom water droplet paint job on the sides in red and black... rather blood-like... hence the project name of Bloody Awesome. This will be carried through the red and black colors throughout. I will do some level of modification of the sheet metal, custom window and likely some metal fabrication. I tend to be a perfectionist. I just need to ensure I stay patient with this build so I don't overrun my learning curve.
wink.gif
I have done some basic sleeving and am pretty good at cable management, but I will be sleeving everything and it must be perfect... just because.

I expect this build to take me about 4-8 weeks longer than I expected
wink.gif
, depending upon how much free time I get and clearing out some space in my garage. I have a decent system already, so no major rush there.

I'M FINISHED!!!

Latest Updates:

7/18/2014 - I'm back at Quakecon with the box. Over the past couple of weeks I reworked the water loop to use Monsoon blood red acrylic lines and pro fittings. I love the look!

14499725248_24897945d0_z.jpgIMG_2111
by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

7/31/2013 - I have to thank Performance PCs for expediting my order for a serial version of the GPU bridge. It arrived this morning and I installed it. I also added a couple of drops of black and about 6 drops of blue to the loop.. the coolant is now really blood-red.
devil-smiley-019.gif

7/28 - Man.. what a weekend. I can't believe I am done. I covered the fronts of the hard drives with vinyl and installed the array. I also painted the SSD and installed the BD and SSD in the upper cage. I made a custom power cable for the array and another one for the upper cage with the BD, SSD and fan controller. I used Anderson PowerPole connectors for the fan controller because I have them... and they look cleaner than Molex for a two-pin connection. I covered the power supply with vinyl and then installed the water pump using using velcro. Oh.. and I sleeved all of these friggin cables as I was making them. That is the most time consuming part of this whole build. I have around 250 hours of cable making and sleeving on this project. Seriously. I installed all of the fittings, tubes (boiled them so they would stretch over the fittings.. since I am using 3/8 duralene over 1/2 fittings). I let the pump run for about 12 hours once I filled everything up with my Mayhem X1. No leaks! I gave the sides a final wet sand with 1500 grit and buffed the panels out. I installed the window in the side and reinstalled the latches. I mounted the fan junction blocks on the back side of the motherboard tray and made cables to link them to the controller. I linked four light bars together with custom cables and sleving.. and wired to the fan controller. Then.. final assembly. Everything went together well... and get this. Everything worked the first time! Time for a beer!!!

Oh.. and update OCN.

Index:
First Picture Set (unboxed parts)
5 1/4" Drive cage mod
Front cutout and filler plate
Front filler plate - take 2
Front fascia sanding and paint work
Top Fan Housing
Top Fan Housing 2
Case frame re-assembled
GPU water block install, Side window cutting and painting
Power Supply Cabling and Sleeving
Installing Top Radiator and Front Panel Connections
Routing acrylic for side window
Hard drive stuff
Water Loop / FINAL ASSEMBLY!!!
Last set of pictures - system pr0n

Current State 07/28/2013):

9386367103_ca5445bb85_c.jpg
052 by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
9389133712_c0330cd50b_c.jpg
056 by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
9386359083_64dfab5a1e_c.jpg
058 by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
9410355549_2ce80a2ffd_c.jpg
GPUs, CPU and RAM by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
9413120962_c54da87278_c.jpg
Left-front 3/4 by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
9410355255_2098f43660_c.jpg
Back of tray by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

What is left to do:
[*] Buff side panels
[*] Install acrylic in window
[*] Cut fan cables, re-crimp ends, sleeve x8
[*] Make cable for fan controller to distribution block & sleeve x2
[*] Sleeve front panel connection cables (including USB3)
[*] Install front panel and route
[*] Install fan controller
[*] Install radiators and fans (and connect)
[*] Install bottom drive cage and HDDs
[*] Mount SSD on back side of tray
[*] Sleeve SATA cables
[*] Mount pump
[*] Install CPU waterblock
[*] Form water lines
[*] Pressure test system
[*] Cover I/O connections on motherboard
[*] Cover label on power supply
[*] Final dusting and tidy
[*] Take final pictures and call it done
[*] Drink moar beer
biggrin.gif

Older Updates:
7/21 - I made custom power cables for the hard drive array. I also decided that I would be using velcro to mount the SSD to the bottom of the BD drive, so I need to fill the drive cage up. Oh well, I guess I *have* to order another 1 TB drive. I also did some mocking up of the water pump etc and determined that I can't mount the reservoir where I planned, and the reservoir tube is too big for mounting on top of the power supply. I ordered a shorter version. I also ordered a bunch of BitsPower rotary fittings to make the tube runs a bit easier. I was planning on heat molding my tubes, but this will work out better.
7/14 - I made a pattern out of MDF this weekend to allow me to route half of the thickness of the cast acrylic window. This will allow me to create a mounting lip 1/8 of an inch thick and have 1/8 of an inch protrude through the opening. With the VHB tape holding it in place, the window should end up flush on the outside and have a nice glow around the edges once the lights are installed. I also wet sanded the side panels with 1000 grit and gave them a final coat of clear. They will have two weeks to cure before a final wet sand and buffing. I also finished up the fans this weekend. I didn't like the labels, so I used a shot glass as a pattern to cut out some auto vinyl. The material is a black brushed aluminum finish and will go nicely with the case.
7/9 - ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! I just saw TechDaddy at the grocery store.. and he asked me if I was taking the machine to QuakeCon. "It is just over three weeks away". $#!T!!! It can't be. That would mean it has been almost a year since I started this build and I know that can't be... oh. Crap. Well, I know what I will be doing for the next few weekends. *sigh*
6/10 - No.. I have not worked on the computer at all in over 5 months. Work has been crazy and I just have not had a chance... by the time I get home I don't feel like working on it.. and I just want to veg on the weekend. I did manage to make a couple of more cables this evening. It felt good to get back into the groove.
1/6 - I picked up two more fans from MicroCenter.. and made sure they were red. I also worked on making the cables behind the motherboard tray tidy. But who is going to see that? You will in the pictures I post when it's done.
biggrin.gif

1/5 - Well, I slept with my jeans on, three shirts, two blankets, etc... I slept until 10:00AM. But, the fever is gone and I am feeling better. My wife is amazed at how I do that. For me it seems better to cook whatever bug is bothering me out of my system. ;-)
I took some pictures and started working on the fans. I figured out the lengths of each fan lead. Each radiator setup will go to a 4:1 junction block, and like everything else, I want the cables to be just the right length. I marked the locations of each fan on some temporary labels made of duct tape. I then decided I should probably test each of the fans just to make sure I didn't end up with a factory defect.. and I am glad that I did. Two of the eight fans were friggin GREEN. ***?!? They were packaged as red. Well, better to find it now than after the cables were done and everythign was installed I suppose.
1/4 - I figured out the wires I got crossed last night by using my multi-meter and jumpering the PSU so it would turn on. All is good now. I also finished the sleeving on the main power cable and knocked out the CPU power cable(s) as well. Counting last night, that is 12 hours of cable work. My eyes are crossed, my fingers burned and cut... and I'm not feeling well. I have a fever. I think I will go sweat it out in bed... at 8:00PM... sheezzz
1/4 - OK, I am pissed. I had hoped to complete this thing before the end of the year... but life got in the way. It seems that our household has dealt with every illness possible in the past month. Hopefully we are all on the mend. I decided to work on the power supply cable tonight. I spent about 3 hours making an extension cable for the 24-pin cable. I did this because I realized that the Seasonic has multiple splices and twists which are not conducive to a nice clean linear pattern. So.. the transitions will be made between the extension and the main cable. This will also allow me to and up with the length I want on the back side of the motherboard tray.
I started working on the main power cable as well. I made it about 2/3 of the way through and started making mistakes. I will have to get my multi-meter out and verify where what ended up. I am going to go get some sleep before I make more mistakes. I think five hours working on cables is enough.
12/4 - I finished the PCI-E cables. I had enough time after watching The Voice to knock the second set out. ;-) ps.. I'm pissed that Amanda Brown went home.
12/2 - I have been dreading this. Building my own cables and sleeving them. It sounds simple. It is very time consuming... and I have never done it. Well, I have now. First off, big thanks to Lutr0 for his guides and videos and to Nils at MDPC for his product and tools. You both made it much easier! One gotcha that I am not thrilled with, but will accept... EVGA power connectors are facing each other. In other words, they force a twist. Also, my power supply connectors are kind of inverted as well. I can't make a perfectly straight cable, and even if I did, it would be twisted when installed anyway. So, I had to get a little creative with my accent colors, etc. All in all, it turned out pretty well.
11/25 - I have put probably 6 coats of clear on the panels and have wet sanded. I had to touch up a couple of spots that I sanded through, but nobody will be able to tell.
wink.gif
I think I will do a couple more coats and wet sand once more before I buff it out.
11/18 - Candy apple red is done. Wow.. it looks sweet! Very happy.
11/17 - OK.. now the fun begins. I pulled the effect off pretty well using rattle cans! I used a heavy coat of silver paint on top of the black... and used dry cleaning bags as my texture. If it were any warmer (around 80) it would not have worked. The rattle can paint evaporates dry very fast. Now I need to wait a day and put the candy apple red on.
11/11 - I finished sanding the panels and put a coat of gloss black on them. This will be the base coat for the red marble finish.
smile.gif

11/10 - I finished cutting the window out. This involved using a hole saw for the corners and reinforced cutoff wheel in the Dremel for the straights. I also used a flat file and sanding drums to finish it out.
11/4 - I have been putting off the side window. Well, that is only partially true. I actually ordered one from a good seller on eBay. I got a .25 inch thick cast acrylic piece cut specifically to use some channel molding from Grainger. Yes, I have a 50' box of molding that I'm not going to use. It is a good product. It is designed to use with the thickness material I am using and is professional looking, etc. Oh.. and it was expensive. However, it doesn't work well with tight radius corners and it is quite large. I think the big black strip would be ugly. So... I ordered another window and started cutting tonight. I'm going to extend the factory window across to make it symmetric. Lots of cutting and grinding.
10/18 - I decided to break the system down. No more [email protected] for a while. This allowed me to install the EK water blocks on the GPUs. The worst part of this was the friggin thermal transfer tape. Getting the backing off of that crap was a complete pain. I also had to buy some expensive screws to be able to install the water block AND use the backer plate I got from EVGA. I spent around $16 on tiny screws. *sigh* But.. it looks great.
10/1 - I spent the weekend two weeks ago in Arkansas with my son and didn't get to work on the case at all. This past weekend I volunteered at a charity event on Saturday and again, didn't get much time to work on the case. I did at least manage to get the front insert riveted into place on the front panel and shot it with a couple of coats of gloss black.
Today my daughter has the flu and has been throwing up most of the day. *yuck* But, between caring for her and answering emails at work, I did manage to reassemble the main frame of the case. It looks like something again!
biggrin.gif

9/23 - I had other things come up and couldn't work on the system for a couple of weeks. I finally painted the top panel with some Hammered Finish in black. I was not happy with it. So... I sanded it all off. I then tried satin black, and wasn't happy with it either. Rinse and repeat. So... finally, I found some black textured paint that really matches the factory finish well. So.. there was two weeks spent painting, sanding, painting, sanding, etc. *sigh*... but at least it ended up like I wanted.
8/26 - I made a template to cut out the fan grill on the top panel of the corsair case. I also took all of the rivets out, so the only thing left intact on the original case is the motherboard tray, back and bottom panels. It doesn't look like much sitting there by itself. LOL I made the template out of a Diet Dr. Pepper 24-pack wrapper that was laying around in the garage. Make use of what is available!
After disassembling the case further, I taped the template in place and marked the opening using a fine sharpie. I then followed these lines with masking tape to protect the paint and to give me a visible guide line. I used a Dremel reinforced cut-off disc (ok, it took 3) to cut out the opening. I then used the drum sander on the Dremel to round the corners. The housing was then attached using black silicone and allowed to cure for a day.
I then filled the imperfections on the housing with bondo, primed and painted. The inside got a coat of gloss black. The outside received coats of hammered black finish. It will have to sit for several days before I am ready to move it or take pictures. I want to make sure it is cured fully.
8/24 - The past three days have been consumed with making the top fan housing. I built it out of 16ga steel sheet metal. This is about as thin as I can possibly weld with my stick arc welder. I did all of the cutting, but in the interest of time, I did go to a local sheet metal company to have them do the bends for me. I had bought enough angle iron to make my own jigs, but I would have spend an entire day building them, just to use them once. In the end, the guy only wanted $5, but I paid him more because it saved me several hours.
smile.gif
Drilling fan holes with a hole saw in 16ga steel takes a while. I had to throw my drill in the fridge a couple of times to cool it off. ;-)
8/19 - I spent some time perfecting my belt sanding technique. Not too fast, not too slow. Too fast and there is too much heat, which results in barbs on the surface of the aluminum. I can't exactly smooth them down with sandpaper because I would loose the brushed metal sheen. Next up I also figured out the right timing on primer, chrome paint and candy apple red top coats. The results are pretty nice. I also really like the candy apple red over the brushed aluminum. It looks nice, but the sheen isn't really picked up well with the camera. That's it for a couple of days. I will be taking a few days vacation later this week and hope to make some serious progress.
8/18 - *sigh* ... I just spent the first 4 hours today remaking the front panel. I cut the fan holes too big the first time. At least the panel came out better overall than the first time.. and I re-learned the measure twice, cut once principle.
smile.gif

8/14 - I started on the front panel. I cut a section of 22 gauge sheet metal to serve as the filler panel/mounting panel for the front radiator and fans. I also cut out the existing panel to be much taller and to remove the restrictive grill.
8/12 - I have received all of the parts needed to build and have attacked! The 5 1/4" drive cage is the first item to undergo the knife (or angle grinder
wink.gif
) See the index below for a direct link to the latest post.
8/3 - I've received most of the major parts and have started taking pictures of all of the goodies. I uploaded new pics and updated the index below.
7/28 - After reading through MANY messages and threads here on plasticizer problems, clouding, etc. I decided to go with Durelene tubing and just ordered 25ft from Sidewinder. I also have spent a lot of time reading tutorials and opinions on sleeving and decided to go with MDPC-X. I'll be ordering a black kit and some small red for accent. I'm loving the wealth of info here at OCN!

Parts List:
1 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D CC650DW-1 (Received)
1 - SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 SS-1050XM (Received)
1 - Intel i7 3770k BX80637I73770K (Received)
1 - Asus ROG Maximus V Gene (Received)
2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR (Received)
1 - CorsairVengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R (Received)
3 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (Received)
1 - Plextor M3 Pro Series 2.5" 256GB SATA PX-256M3P (Received)
1 - LG BDXL Quad-Layer Blu-Ray Burner WH14NS40 (Received)
2 - EK GTX Nickel CSQ GPU Waterblock EK-FC680 (Received)
1 - EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel CSQ (Received)
1 - EK Supremacy Nickel CPU Waterblock (Received)
1 - Koolance Reservoir Base COV-RP450 (Received)
1 - REX X2 80mm Reservoir Tube (Received)
1 - Swiftech Pump MCP655-B (Received)
2 - Black Ice Extreme II Dual 120mm Radiator (Received)
1 - Lamptron Fan Controller FC-FC9B (Received)
9 - Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm Red LED Fans (Received)
1 - Windows 7 Ultimate (Received)
1 - Samsung SynchMaster 244T (Received)
1 - Samsung SynchMaster 205BW (Received)
1 - Coolermaster Storm Trigger Keyboard SGK-6000-GKCM1 (Received)
25 - Durelene PVC tubing 3/8in. ID 5/8in. OD by Saint-Gobain (Received)
1 - MDPC starter cable sleeve / heat shrink tubing set (Received)
1 - MDPC small red sleeving and red heat shrink (Received)
50 - MDPC black dome head rivets (Received)
6 - Danger Den straight 1/2" barb fittings, chrome (Received)
6 - Bitspower swivel 1/2" barb fittings in chrome (mix of 45 degree and 90 degree)
1 - Danger Den fill port
1 - Mayhems X1 UV Red dye - 1L premix (Received)
1 - Mayhems 10ml Red dye concentrate (Received)
2 - Rustoleum Black (Received)
1 - Rustoleum Chrome (Received)
3 - Candy Red (Received)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I ordered my sleeving today from MDPC-X. What a strange experience. If I didn't know what to expect up front, I would have been nervous. I'm not used to a site that is open for an hour or so at a time.
biggrin.gif

I ended up going with the black kit and then a 10m supply of small red and red heat shrink. The outside of the case is still being planned out, but the inside will be mostly black with red accents. In keeping with that, the main power lead will be done like: (Forgive the ASCII representation
rolleyes.gif
)

||||||||||||
||||||||||||
||||||||||||
||||||||||||
||||||||||||

And the Video Power:

||||
||||
||||
||||
||||
Order Items

Product = MDPC Sleeve-Kit
Quantity = 1
SKU = SL-K1-BK
Price = 36,47 €

Product = Sleeve SMALL - RED
Quantity = 1
SKU = SL-S-RE
Price = 8,00 €

Product = Heatshrink SMALL - RED
Quantity = 1
SKU = HS-S-RE
Price = 2,69 €

Product = Rivet Dome Head - BLACK
Quantity = 1
SKU = RI-ST-BK
Price = 5,00 €

I will start taking pictures of the pile of supplies later in the week once my last NewEgg order and the FrozenPC orders arrive.

Cheers!
-n3f

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures after unboxing a bunch of stuff. Enjoy the hardware pr0n.
biggrin.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708156316/
Asus ROG Maximus V Gene by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708156602/
Asus ROG Maximus V Gene by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708153704/
Corsair Vengeance RAM by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708160632/
Plextor SSD Drive by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708153408/
Plextor SSD Drive by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708154116/
Tubing by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708154626/
LG BDXL Quad-Layer Blu-Ray Burner by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708155112/
Intel i7 3770k by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708155540/
Intel i7 3770k back by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708156004/
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708156846/
Lamptron Fan Controller by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708157200/
Lamptron Fan Controller back by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708157696/
EVGA GeForce GTX670 backplate by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708158188/
Reservoir and Pump by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708158468/
EK Supremacy Nickel CPU Block by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708158782/
EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr
(This is still in the plastic because I might replace it with the clear plexi version if they have it ready in two weeks as they claim)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708159194/
Black Ice Radiator by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708159504/
EK GTX Nickel CSQ GPU Block by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/satterwhitec/7708159934/
EK GTX Nickel CSQ GPU Block back by Satterwhite.C, on Flickr

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Andre View Post

It really makes me jealous when I see these build logs. I already know that your build is going to be awesome. I need to finish school so I can do a liquid cooled project. I will be following this.
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence. Don't worry, there's no way I could have done something like this a few years back both due to time and money. Keep your priorities correct and the good stuff will come to you.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Looking forward to the build. I also have sli'ed 670's in a C650D.
A few common thoughts on the case - change the fans (you already did, Good!) and consider cutting out the mesh in the front (pointless restriction).

Enjoy!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan o' water View Post

Looking forward to the build. I also have sli'ed 670's in a C650D.
A few common thoughts on the case - change the fans (you already did, Good!) and consider cutting out the mesh in the front (pointless restriction).
Enjoy!
thumb.gif
Thanks for the ideas/pointers. I checked out your build and have to say that it is well executed.
smile.gif
Did you make the fan panel for the top of your case?

Yeah, the front mesh will be cut out.. and the bottom will be enlarged with the PSU mounted to pull in from the bottom. I should have gotten the 800, but don't like monster cases. With some improvements, this case will be fine.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3farious View Post

Thanks for the ideas/pointers. I checked out your build and have to say that it is well executed.
smile.gif
Did you make the fan panel for the top of your case?
Yeah, the front mesh will be cut out.. and the bottom will be enlarged with the PSU mounted to pull in from the bottom. I should have gotten the 800, but don't like monster cases. With some improvements, this case will be fine.
smile.gif
Thanks. I did make it. I also made the false front with the grill and dust filter. I need to update the isometric shot. That shot predates the CoolerMaster Megaflow.
I had originally wanted to mount fans on the bottom and close off the front, but the case just wasn't big enough.
It is a good size, just have to plan carefully. I am working out the kinks in a custom reservoir design. We'll see..

·
Registered
963 Posts
Those images are gorgious, I can't wait to see more!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bear View Post

Those images are gorgious, I can't wait to see more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAroundTheBrim View Post

+1 on the photos! Can't wait to see some more.
Thanks guys! I'm just learning about full manual with the camera and think I just about have it figured out. I'll post some more this afternoon, but need to do some work outside this morning before it gets too hot.
mad.gif
I still need to shoot the PSU, video cards and the case itself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This build is getting better and better! Definitely looking forward to the final result!

May I suggest you post a link to this thread in the Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower thread; I am sure those guys would be very interested in your build!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

This build is getting better and better! Definitely looking forward to the final result!
May I suggest you post a link to this thread in the Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower thread; I am sure those guys would be very interested in your build!
Thanks Sevada88! I actually browsed through that entire thread before I started building. That took a while. ;-)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
May I ask one thing, why did you go for the 3770k instead of the 3570k? The reason why I am asking is because I am going for a similar build, Gene V, 1x GTX 670 and Ivy Bridge, though I am having a hard time deciding which would be better, the 3570k or the 3770k.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

May I ask one thing, why did you go for the 3770k instead of the 3570k? The reason why I am asking is because I am going for a similar build, Gene V, 1x GTX 670 and Ivy Bridge, though I am having a hard time deciding which would be better, the 3570k or the 3770k.
It really came down to the multi-threading and additional cache. I may give folding a try, and figured the extra threads would help. I also got it on sale when it was only $25 more than the 3570k. I will likely end up de-lidding and using better thermal compound, lapping the lid/water block etc. since the 3770k seems to be notoriously worse from a thermal standpoint. It was also part of my build criteria. I went as high as I could without going to the 'stupid' level of the 9xx Extreme i7. ;-)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.