Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] CPU Ferrari -Phobya Xtreme 400mm Rad inside a Haf-X

36K views 137 replies 27 participants last post by  halcyon-twin 
#1 ·
I hacked up my Haf-X and installed a new Phobya Xtreme 400 Rad. It should look sweet after I paint my case.

DSC_2212.jpg

DSC_2003.jpg

***Updated parts list***
Pump swiftech 35x
Rad Phobya xtreme 400mm in push pull
Primochill tube
Bitspower compression fittings 1/2 x 3/4
Res Phobya balancer 250 gold
Swiftech pump heatsink
Swiftech APOGEE HD Gold Plated Limited Edition Water Block 24k gold
Scythe kaze master pro
2 phobya silent G 18 fans
2 coolermaster 200mm fans
80mm fan for pump heatsink
Bitspower 45s
Silver killcoil
PT Nuke phn
Bitspower temp guage
Distilled water

DSC_1885.jpg

DSC_1874.jpg

DSC_1875.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
I have yet to see a picture of anyone with this Rad setup like this yet. IMO it looks cool with such a low profile. The Rad fits perfect into the upper part of the Haf-X with minimal interference. The only down side of doing this is I lose my top bay on the case but no big deal.

#7 ·
I used a jigsaw to cut 2 circles in the top of the case for more airflow. I don't have a before hand picture shot but the opening is a small rectangle. It seemed kinda odd because 30% of a 200mm fan is blocked off by the case. I had to let the Rad breath so it got chopped. Poor design by Cooler Master IMO.

#12 ·
I have a question, since I am a total NOOB to water cooling..... If my Rad is the highest point in my loop then how the heck do I fill my loop completely? Will I need to Tee off with a fill hose that is able to move higher then the Rad? Sounds like a dumb question but I don't under stand how people have Rads high in the case while using front Res with fill ports. Wouldn't the water push out the fill port if you open it and the loop goes higher then your res?

#14 ·
The res must be above the pump and before it as well. In a CPU/GPU setup the most simple way to run your loop would be like this.

RES - PUMP - RAD - CPU - GPU - RES

Radiator placement is optional in the loop but considering the location of your ports on the radiator I would follow the loop order. Just my
2cents.gif

#21 ·
I would like to have 4 of the 200mm fans setup in a push pull on the Rad how ever I am not sure this will fit. Then there is the 230mm fan in the front of the case. So 5 total fans. I like the idea of using Cooler Master Silents because I can turn on and off the LEDs by using the button on the front panel of the case. I have also read that these are loud and suck lol so.... ya.

Dimension (W / H / D) 200 x 200 x 30 mm
Speed (R.P.M.) 700 RPM
Air Flow (CFM) 110 CFM
Air pressure (mmH2O) 0.595 mm H2O
Noise 19 dBA
Bearing Type Sleeve Bearing
Fan Life Expectancy 30,000 Hours
Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Current (Ampere) 0.16 A (Max 0.28 A)
Power Consumption 3.36 W
Weight 266 g
Connector 3 Pin
3 to 4 pin Adapter 1 pcs
LED Color Red

#22 ·
You can probably do one side push pull, not the side with the drive bays.Or without cutting the majority of the cage at least. If you took and cut 31mm of the top drive cage out you could add the other fan, and then it looks like you could do push pull on both sides.

Looking at how much you actually did cut you should be able to mount doing Push first then the top bracket to the case should go back on. Not really sure how it all holds together but you should try mounting the Rad with Fans in Push first and check fitment. Then depending on how the top fans assemble on the case you could then add the top to finish.

Also just an idea you should get some 1/8th inch window weatherstrip for the radiator so when its on the case it isn't leaking air around the edges.

All of the Rad fans and the one in front of the case will work off the controller. At only 6 watts a channel I would try and get your hands on at least a 30 watt per channel controller that way you can split one channel across the rest of the fans in the case and leave the other channels per each fan. Or get a 2 Channel fan controller and wire the Radiator Fans on one Channel. And the Rest on another.

Each 200mm fan is rated at 3.36w each.

#24 ·
I put it all back together to test fit a push pull setup and now I see a problem. The Rad sits a tad offset due to the Mobo tray. The fans on the top are about 1/4 inch off to the side of the rad. However if I use the weather stripping like you suggested this should fix the problem right up! Thank you sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.