Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The answer to my title question is both. This case started off as a server build (closed door) before I swapped my server to the Anidees AI Crystal XL Pro Lite (for all the glorious 5.25 inch front support). After that ... I had the enthoo pro sitting downstairs looking at me. I guess I better build something into it.

First I contacted Phanteks to confirm that this and the glass side version are basically the same (with the exception of the glass). That was confirmed, so I ordered a glass side. I think there is also a little bit of RGB that the closed version doesn't have. I am ok with that because I don't use a lot of light in my builds.

Next, I wanted to incorporate a distro plate. What do you know! Phanteks has a distro plate for this case.

Where now?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Index

• 2021-07-12 - Distro Plate - initial mention, possible flow diagram
  • 2021-07-14 - Radiators - initial reveal(?) and results of quick test fitting :(
  • 2021-07-20 - Bottom Rad Install - happy with that install (so far)
  • 2021-07-21 - Pump Mount - initial discussion
  • 2021-07-22 - Reservoir - construction

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Phanteks D140 Distro-plate

I did post about this distro plate here at overclock and noted how some others have used it. My main question was ... is this for a parallel or sequential run. I think you can use it either way, but I wanted to know how Phanteks designed it to be used.

I prefer sequential ... but the distro plate was actually designed for parallel usage (see the manual).

It is installed in my Enthoo (install was super easy!) and here are my initial thoughts on flow ...

key
White - tube runs (the dashed tube run is on the back side of the case)
green - pump
red - reservoir
pink - cpu block
blue - gpu block

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said above, this case started life as a server ... so it needed lots of HDD space. As it ships, you can insert 6 HDDs but you can add more brackets. I picked up a stack of these brackets and built myself an HDD tower. Unfortunately, it was a little be wobble.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I solved that wobble issue ...

This involved installing a perspex sheet where the HDD holders are meant to go

I then purchased some appropriate length stand offs - in my case 30mm and attached them to select HDD cages

... drill hole, insert screw, attached the stack of HDD cages to the perspex sheet ...

This shot was a little hard to get ... it is inside the case, showing the standoff attached the perspex sheet.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, these last two posts are just a lead into the fact that I cut up the front of my Enthoo to gain access to these HDDs. It is no point having lots of HDDs in a server if you have to strip down the machine to replace a drive. I set up the three front 140mm fans so I could easily remove them ... cut off the tags that would hold any 120mm fan ... then I could slip the HDDs in and out.

Good for the server ... but now that I am building a desk top into this case, I can't have 120mm fans (or radiators) up front.

So ... I am forced to put a 140mm radiator up front.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Radiators

I am forced to put a 140mm radiator up front.
You might have worked out that I am going with x-flow radiators. The white tubing run in the diagram (sort of) gives it away. For reasons unknown to me, I had a think against x-flow radiators. Is that reasonable? Is that based on any sort of evidence? Time to hit up google ...

First off, JayzTwoCents. Hmm, entertaining, better than Linus Tech, but do I trust him?

Second up was DazMode, not as entertaining, a little difficult for me to understand ... but trustworthy (to me!).

So, the 420 I went with is the NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper X-Flow 420mm radiator from Alphacool. In for a nickel, in for a pound ... and the 360 down the bottom is a NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper X-Flow 360mm radiator also from Alphacool.

I just did a little test fit pushing the rads as far apart as the guide holes would allow ... BAH! Hmmm ... that is a no go.

I will have to play around with moving the bottom 360 radiator as far back as I can. I have about an inch to play with, but I will have to give up on all of the pre-drilled fan holes.

I have been thinking about the flow ... the initial play was to go into the front rad at the bottom, fill it from the bottom and then out the top and into the reservoir. I am now having second thoughts about pushing all of that water up hill. It will probably be fine once I have a complete loop (the water leaving the rad will help suck the water into the rad). I might run some flow experiments with filling from the bottom v filling from the top.

Other implications?
  • Yes ... that lovely drain port that Phantek put in the case is a non starter for me
  • I just can't connect to it easily with the two rads in the way
  • The bottom rad is easy enough to install, the rad holder slides in and out
  • he front rad is going to be a beast to install
  • I need to join the two rads via tubing (or fittings) ... and doing that while they are both in the case will be a nightmare

Thankfully, I think I can solve all of these as there is some room on the other side at the front. I will see if I can put in an anchor point attached to the bottom of the case and flex tube connect to both rads. Something to try.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankfully, I think I can solve all of these as there is some room on the other side at the front. I will see if I can put in an anchor point attached to the bottom of the case and flex tube connect to both rads. Something to try.
As it turns out, I decided to put the drain port at the back of the case. On the same side as the Enthoo drain port (front) where they have a panel that you can take out (this case allows two (2) motherboards).

So ... take the back panel off (screws are accessable from the rear of the case), fold out the drain extension, hook up hose, drain!

Here is the drain extension on one of the ports of the bottom 360mm radiator.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gaa ... that isn't going to work. There is a lip on the back that is too high ... the drain port swivel won't clear the lip.

Back to the draining port thinking board.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been thinking about the flow ... the initial play was to go into the front rad at the bottom, fill it from the bottom and then out the top and into the reservoir. I am now having second thoughts about pushing all of that water up hill. It will probably be fine once I have a complete loop (the water leaving the rad will help suck the water into the rad). I might run some flow experiments with filling from the bottom v filling from the top.
I have always said that someone learns more by trying something themselves than by being told. I just hooked up a simple loop with quick disconnects at the top and bottom of my front radiator.

I think that filling / bleeding the loop is much easier when filling from the bottom of the radiator, but the flow is awful.

Here is the (ghetto) loop set up.

You can see my res sitting on top of the pump system, it pumps up to the distro plate, through the CPU block (floating in air with the help of some zip ties) and then to the radiator. It either fills from the top or the bottom, with the other end of the radiator going to the res.

Flow when filling from the top was 5.? litres per minute.
Flow when filling from the bottom was 0.8 litres per minute.

I guess I will be filling the front radiator from the top.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bottom radiator repositioned ... I how have enough space to organize myself around the two radiators. Fans for both radiators should be here mid week, then I can organize the reservoir and plumbing from the front rad to the res.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dogs got me up at 1am last night (the buggers!) and I couldn't get back to sleep. What to do? Think about my computer build! What else?

I have a CaseLabs S5 with Pedestal (holder 2 x 360 rads) and I was always unhappy with the flow rate. The loop went into the top of a 360 rad, across the bottom of the pedestal to the other 360 and then out the top. Effectively, I was pushing the water up hill through the 2nd radiator. That might have been (one of) the causes of my poor flow rate. I might throw a ghetto loop around the pedestal and test its flow if I transition from the 1st to the 2nd 360 via a top port.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dogs got me up at 1am last night (the buggers!) and I couldn't get back to sleep. What to do? Think about my computer build! What else?

I have a CaseLabs S5 with Pedestal (holder 2 x 360 rads) and I was always unhappy with the flow rate. The loop went into the top of a 360 rad, across the bottom of the pedestal to the other 360 and then out the top. Effectively, I was pushing the water up hill through the 2nd radiator. That might have been (one of) the causes of my poor flow rate. I might throw a ghetto loop around the pedestal and test its flow if I transition from the 1st to the 2nd 360 via a top port.
Are you selling that S5?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you selling that S5?
I have posted 14 times replying to my initial post. No one replies ... and I ask myself ... is there anyone there.

Drop one sentence about a CaseLabs case ... and, bingo! A reply. :)

Answer: Uncertain. If re-routing the pedestal flow fixes the flow, then I am less likely to sell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have posted 14 times replying to my initial post. No one replies ... and I ask myself ... is there anyone there.

Drop one sentence about a CaseLabs case ... and, bingo! A reply. :)

Answer: Uncertain. If re-routing the pedestal flow fixes the flow, then I am less likely to sell.
Bahahah~ don't think like that bro. 🤣

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Bottom Radiators

I managed to move the bottom radiator back about 15mm ... the better part of half an inch. It only took a couple of well placed holes in the radiator support.

Here is a pic of the back of the case ... plenty of room to run a tube down to the radiator.

And the front ... where, the three fan cables are just the right length (ok, two (2) might be a little long) to reach my fan control location.

We'll have to see how that pans out when I put in the front Radiator.

Speaking of the front Radiator ... I really only want to install that guy once. I will have to hold it in place while I insert the screws through the case, the fan and into the radiator. That will be a pain. I also need to install the reservoir on the back of the front radiator ... so that will be even worse. And I need to run tubes from the bottom of the front rad up to the res. I might actually need some help from a friend (or trusted enemy) to get that all installed.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still to come ...
  • some black perspex, acrylic to hid my fan control area
  • parts for reservoir ... hopefully

1 - 20 of 26 Posts