Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2v0g.jpg

Hey there OCN, I'm starting another project. My previous build, BlueShift, went relatively well, however I was limited on time to finish the project, so I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results. This time is different, I've got a backup computer set up and plenty of time to get it done.

Inspiration:
I've started liking clean looking builds without all the LEDs and UV reactive stuff, so don't expect many glowy bits here. I also really like the idea of having a full desktop, while still being able to display it on a small desk. That's why I named the build "Epitome", I going for both a miniature of sorts, and a "perfection" clean look. I won't lie either, Nikkop's Big Bro' log on Bit-tech was also a big inspiration.

Here's a general to-do list (I have to keep a few surprises though):

[X] Motherboard tray for Prodigy.
[X] Mount for HDD(s).
[X] Mounts for SLI GTX 770s.
[ ] Find/create PCI-E risers for graphics cards.
[X] Install motherboard tray and I/O slots in case.
[ ] Illuminated base panel under graphics cards.
[X] Cover up gaps/vents.
[ ] Modify front panel.
[ ] Set up tubing.
[ ] Sleeving.
[ ] Wire management.
[ ] Painting.
[ ] Do super awesome stuff.

4bl5.png

e474.png
Thanks to Bitspower for providing discounts on:
5x Silver Shining Compression Fittings For ID 1/2 OD 3/4
11x Silver Shining Dual Rotary Angle Compression Fittings For ID 1/2 OD 3/4
4x Silver Shining Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fittings For ID 1/2 OD 3/4
2x Silver Shining CaseTop Water-Fill SET
DIMM4 RAM Block
D5 MOD TOP V2

xw0.png
Thanks to DIY Modding for providing discounts on:
8x 3mm Blue BL08 Sleeve - 1m
13x 3mm White WH01 Sleeve - 1m
6x 3mm Grey GR08 Sleeve - 1m
2x 8mm Blue BL08 Sleeve - 1m
Crimp Tool - New Edition
Decrimp Tool - DIY Edition
2x 6mm Black Heatshrink
24 Pin ATX Set
2x Male VGA Connector
SATA Middle Housing
SATA End Housing
Fan/Led Housing Female 3P
Fan/Led Housing Male 3P
SATA Terminal Male
USB Terminal Female
Fan Terminal Male
Fan Terminal Female

[Reserved]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, here's what I've got going on:

First, an obligatory comparison between the Prodigy and my HAF 932.
f06j.jpg

The HAF was a great case, but it was almost too roomy for me. It's definitely going to be a challenge to fit everything into the Prodigy, but that's half the fun!

nafs.jpg

Mmmm, look at all those slots. Too bad I'm not building with some silly mini ITX motherboard :rock: Surprisingly, there wasn't too many rivets to drill to get everything out. Everything except the motherboard/psu tray were screwed in.

rqxd.jpg

That's more like it! I'm encouraged by how much room I still have left around the motherboard, should leave me enough room to put in all the fun stuff I'm hoping to cram in there. I'm re-using the motherboard from my previous computer since it matches my theme just fine and I don't have the money or sponsorship (yet, hopefully) to build from completely new parts.

My new graphics cards showed up! Maybe it's just because my last cards were dusty old 460s, but the 770 seems really well built. I got the ACX cooler version. I won't need the air cooler, but it was the same price, so I figured I could sell it or something.

o143.jpg

mcu1.jpg

I also tore apart the HAF 932 case to salvage the motherboard tray. I'll either be cutting this down to size, or buying a new motherboard tray to install my motherboard in the case vertically.

gm9e.jpg

That's all for now. Hope to get some new stuff ordered soon, until then I've got plenty of modding to do.

Also, I'm working on my photography skills as well, if you have any advice in that department I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraklis19871 View Post

you can watch my project log i am on atm .. its the same case and same idea but ill add watercooling and sli
smile.gif
Ill have to take a look at that then, not often that I see sli in a prodigy build

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make that 2!
biggrin.gif

I'll have more on what I'm doing there later, for now...

I got down to some actual modding today!
jsuy.jpg

After measuring, re-measuring, and then re-re-measuring, I finally got down to work.

vg8m.jpg

93ol.jpg

Several cracked and shattered discs and burnt fingers later, I realized my old dremel wasn't going to make it at that rate. I also realized I was wasting my time using the little dremel
aaevil.gif

yvlw.jpg

Air power ftw! It only took a few minutes to finish up the tray with this.

9m7n.jpg

After some (a lot of) filing, the motherboard tray slipped into the case nicely. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. Once I get it and the I/O slots bolted down and painted white, I think it's going to look great.

09s9.jpg

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post

....Wow.

Further proof that the Prodigy is too bloody big
tongue.gif

I like the idea of the motherboard orientated with the IO to the bottom. Should be interesting.

Subbed.
So big there is a micro atx version coming out sometime in the near future, it was shown off a computex
tongue.gif

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

i little advice. Cut a small piece from the mother board tray in the back side of the case so you will able to route cables from that way also.
That's definitely on my to-do list. I'm waiting to make sure I know for sure where everything is before I start cutting though.

I'm still waiting on a few things to come in before I can start a lot of the major stuff. However, I woke up Sunday morning and realized I had nowhere planned to put my HDD. Naturally, at 6:30 in the morning, I grabbed some scrap metal and fixed that.

It slipped my mind to take pictures of the actual bending process. There wasn't much to show, just me sweating and banging on metal.

Anyway, after I got it into shape, I taped it all up, checked the size, and started marking holes.
3iwf.jpg

jncn.jpg

Fits perfectly. One side to go.
0u94.jpg

0oje.jpg

I'll admit, I was surprised everything lined up as well as it did.

I also put a rubber strip on both sides of the HDD to try and keep it a little quieter.
jxup.jpg

Here is how the mount will fit inside the case, it juuust fits between the PSU and radiator. I'll be getting a double rad later, so the single is just a placeholder.
lzo5.jpg

The mount ended up as my test piece for painting. I'm still trying to decided if I want to paint the case a glossy white, or keep the off-white flat paint.
ydjp.jpg

xmlc.jpg

h6l.jpg

In my hurry to try out the paint, I forgot to drill holes for the second HDD :wallbash:

I'm going to put another coat of paint on it as it got a couple marks on it from drilling, but overall it turned out quite nice.
bg6q.jpg

Here it is installed in the case.
ld63.jpg

That's what I've got for now. Things should pick up once I'm able to check the positions of everything on the fun side of the motherboard.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got something in the mail today!

jlwv.jpg

Acrylic/Nickel waterblock for the GTX 770

6ze2.jpg

Also got in my free EVGA backplate.

zug7.jpg

I really love that EK made a proper clear acrylic block without those ugly crop circles. I can't wait to have another one of these things to go with it.

It wasn't without it's problems however. It turns out that the original screws for the backplate are smaller than the ones meant for the waterblock. The head on the bigger screws is also too big to fit into the backplate. I'll have to look around for longer screws, or ones with smaller heads.

I also got in a PCI-E extender. I figured that would make for boring pictures, so here is what I plan to do with it instead.

nt9n.jpg

Both to save space and to show off the waterblock, I'll be mounting 2 GTX 770s at a roughly 45 degree angle to the motherboard. This adjustment gives me the room I need to run a watercooled SLI setup in such a small case.

To mount them, I cut 4 slots out from the I/O in the HAF 932.

roj1.jpg

Here's an angled view of how it will look (With 770s instead of 460s of course).

xi8l.jpg

The main thing holding me back right now is getting the positions for the graphics cards confirmed. The PCI-E cable I have may not work either. It is slightly too large and not flexible enough to stuff into the space I need it to.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a small PCI-E extender that doesn't involve me soldering 300 contacts. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome View Post

Here's an angled view of how it will look (With 770s instead of 460s of course).

xi8l.jpg

The main thing holding me back right now is getting the positions for the graphics cards confirmed. The PCI-E cable I have may not work either. It is slightly too large and not flexible enough to stuff into the space I need it to.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a small PCI-E extender that doesn't involve me soldering 300 contacts. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Rotating it 45 degrees is incredibly original, as far as I know they only do fixed pci express slot adapters in 90 degrees. http://www.soarland.com/Flexible_Single_Slot_PCI-Express_16x_Riser_Card-product-250.html this one is flexible but that ribbon cable will need some hiding and something to keep it in position!

Good Luck with the project, I can't wait to see how this turns out! Subbed
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

I cant understand how is it possible to have a pcie extender cable that its not flexible. Mine is pretty flexible the only hard is to twist it. Ill post you later when ill get home from work some folding ideas so you can save some space. I had the same problem in my prodigy sooo it would be cool to trade some ideas
smile.gif
It is flexible, but the pcb on both ends of the ribbon take up too much room, along with having to stuff away all the ribbon cable. I'm wondering how feasible it would be to bend the pcb of the solid right angle extenders into the shape I need. Probably not possible since the pcb is double sided, but maybe I can find a site that can do a custom adapter like that.
Quote:

Btw just thought that if you go watercooling your sli set up the SLI bridge is gonna be a bit tricky with the 45 degree rotation
I'll see how things go, but I'll probably just use a ribbon connector. I might look at something fancy with a solid connector, but it probably won't be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my shipment from Bitspower today.

Shiny!

o8bx.jpg

Pump top, so I won't have to use the big XSPC res. Nice solid chunk of acryllic, I can't wait to get some fluid running in it.

x8fv.jpg

I already had an XSPC RAM block, but I wanted something a little brighter for this build.

cazk.jpg

I couldn't have all these nice clean components and then use a stock black pump, so I gave the MCP655 a nice coat of glossy white.

79tt.jpg

I have also sold a few things. Yay money. That means I can get my second graphics card and water block ordered
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 64 Posts