Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EVODOT SM8

I feel like I have out grown the 600T. Great case, one of my favorites to work with but I just don't have the room for the series of addtions I want to add to my build. I have since orderd the SM8 which for those who know me I have been thinking about it for sometime. The wife agreed to this as a early X-mas gift. I was drawn to the SM8 for the modular style and the fact that I could use this case for the years to come. I have gone with the basic model as it will fit my needs for the time being. I have a ton of upgrades planned after I move into this case but these will have to be done in steps. To start I will only be cooling the cpu then moving to the gpu/gpu's and the motherboard for fun. Looking at the other build logs for this case I am excited and ready to get started. Just ordered most of the parts tonight and we'll see when everything gets here.

Current Build
IMG_1607.JPG

Upgrades
-SM8
-480 UT60
-GT AP-15 8x
-Starting with just cpu loop
-Some sleeving and Custom Fan Cables.

Parts Check list
[*] 3930k
[*] Rampage IV Extreme
[*] 16GB Samsung 30nm
[*] GTX 680 SC 2gb
[*] 3/8 x 5/8 Fittings
[*] EK Supreme Block Copper
[*] Koolance Bay Res Pump
[*] 90 Rotary Fitting 3x
[*] SM8 -on order
[*] 480 UT60 -on order
[*] 3/8 x 5/8 UV LRT Red Primochill -on order
[*] 8x GT Ap-15 - on order
[*] Sleeving - still trying to pick a brand and style. Suggestions welcome
[*]TITAN - block in just waiting on mounting.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some Goodies that I picked up this weekend.

Pictures are ok I have a DSLR (Cannon T3) but I don't really know how to use it yet or edit photos. Will get lightroom and some type of white backdrop for the future.

Click on pictures to make them larger.

I7 3930k

Fan Controller 30W per channel 6 Channel. Should be able to split the 480 into 4 and 4 on two channels

I think I can use just the fan power connector instead of using the 4 pin modex not sure if anyone knows let me know

Helper for fan wiring. I find it hard to hold everything still when I sodder so I picked this up at Microcenter.

Current Orders

SM8

Performance PCS

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Working on painting the fan controller white right now. Rushed the first time and mistakenly filled some of the holes

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to keep the white. One of the original reasons I went with the 600T SE. Yeah I am reading through the guides right now. Might try and buy some sleeving tomorrow while at the office. I never seem to catch Nil's when he is open.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When he opens today ill pick out some goodies at the office. Wish he had a starter kit will all his tools

Just added 3x bitpowers 90 degree rotary fittings just in case to make sure I have one from the bay res to the rad and from the rad to the block. I was drawing out how tight the bend would be and I didn't want to risk it. Plus will look nice and clean.

Also if anyone can recommend some type of filter so I can flush my new rad and gear?

-edit

Figured I would try this http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_346_203_479&products_id=34904&zenid=4a958f38d1758e92a9dc642c60ea29a1

anyone else use this before?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Never seen that fitting before, the mesh weave doesn't look to be all that small. First time flush I did it the old fashioned way - funnel some distilled water and maybe 10% distilled vinegar into the rad and shake vigorously side to side and up n down for several minutes, then drain. Repeat several times - I didn't fill the rad, just poured maybe a quart or maybe half that - and drain. You'll get some crud or flux or crap bits out of there.

The 2nd time, I did this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9TwhwVlllo

I bought the $20 GE filter housing - it comes with 2 filters; the 2 1/2" barbs, 10 feet of 7/16" hose, plus a $20 pond pump, and that 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Total cost was $60 plus a little.

I've used it on 3 rads since, and the only problem I had was I cut the tubing holes in the bucket a bit low. Not rocket science, but you have to think about it, this vid shows, but doesn't tell you how it all goes together. Basics are the pump feeds the rad which feeds the filter which returns to the bucket.

Some people are able to hook their rad upto the faucet - just make sure you rinse the rad with distilled water afterwards.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I never did anything fancy to flush any of my radiators. Just heated up some vinegar and water and shook it up real good, dumped, repeated, then flushed with lots of tap water then distilled to finish it off.
Never had anything clog up, except some trash from a D5 pump top that evidently had some milling/drilling pieces left over from manufacturing.
Glad you got your case.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did just end up going with this. Im going to do the shake up test first then run the setup outside the loop with this right before the pump should catch anything

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCModderMike View Post

So you went ahead and got the case, very cool. Fun will really start when that comes in, looking forward to it.
Yeah I convinced the wife to give it to me as a early xmas gift.

Spoke with Jim should be shipping on Thursday and all my WC stuff will be here later this week.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have some updates tomorrow night. Looks like the first performance-pcs order will be here tomorrow and the second on Friday.

Currently working on painting my fan controller

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finished painting and putting my fan controller back together. This is really my first time playing with this DSLR so bare with me if the pictures don't look to spectacular. Anyone with more experience please feel free to chime with some tips.

Before

After

Playing with Settings -Didn't turn out as well as it looked on the 3" screen lol

If anyone has any suggestions for how to make these pictures turn out a little nicer please let me know. I was also thinking that something like this might be a smart investment however looking for something little cheaper.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post

I finished painting and putting my fan controller back together. This is really my first time playing with this DSLR so bare with me if the pictures don't look to spectacular. Anyone with more experience please feel free to chime with some tips.
Before
After
Playing with Settings -Didn't turn out as well as it looked on the 3" screen lol
If anyone has any suggestions for how to make these pictures turn out a little nicer please let me know. I was also thinking that something like this might be a smart investment however looking for something little cheaper.
Beautiful.
thumb.gif
Keep it coming. If I was my uncle, I would give you tips, but I'm not the one with $5000 in camera equipment.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Since FedEx dropped the ball yesterday my performance-pcs order showed up to. Here is a quicker teaser, Bad picture with iphone... just walked in the door.

More to come

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ran into a problem yesterday. I have now tried to get the pictures to look halfway decent. Working on a lightbox today and picking up some lighting we'll see what happeneds. Might just buy a lightbox and be done with it. Any have there photography box setup they can share?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at all the local shops this morning I couldn't find a photography light box anywhere so I decided to make one after getting a PM from a member.

Nothing special but here it is.

Items used to make
  • Old box
  • box cutter
  • Ruler
  • Tissue Paper
  • White Paper ( I recommend just going to the craft shop and getting poster board however the shop wasn't open when I was driving around)
  • Tape
  • Decent bright white lighting (I didn't have any either just used lamps from the basement)

Test pictures with Free light box. I found all the materials to make laying around the house.
Bitspower 90 degree Fittings - Going to be using from Res/pump to Top rad.

These are great looking Fittings however my light doesn't look as bright as it should. Need to adjust some settings - still very new at this.

Fan controller picture done in light box...doesn't really fit in there though.

Misc Items

Suggestion welcome. It seems like I am getting some yellowish tint off of the paint on the wall or These bulbs just might be daytime light instead of bright white. I will probably just invest in a nice little 36" x 36" box so I can fit the whole case in there. None of these are edited.

More pictures to come just fiddling with the lighting

·
Registered
284 Posts
The light box looks perfect
thumb.gif
and buying one wont make any difference

your white balance is off

try a dark background maybe dark sheet/cloth
sometimes I put black sheet over the camera and lightbox to stop wall colour from bouncing back

did you turn off all overhead lighting?mixing different light sources mess things up
room should be black
use only the light from the side lights

are you using a tripod and the self timer?
try iso 100
it does make a huge difference

what camera do you have?'

nice shot of the fittings
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 451 Posts