Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years now I have had a PC running in my 800D. It has been through 3 motherboards, 3 CPUs, a couple power supplies and a few different variations on the same color scheme.

I had a few issues with some parts and ended up switching to the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard while waiting for some RMAs to complete. At this point I was somewhat stuck on the theme I had envisioned so I went ahead with my first water cooled system.

Then I had some tubing issues and changed over from Primochill Advanced LRT to their Acrylic line of tubing.

Now after Doing a fully themed mITX build (click here for build log) I have caught the mod bug and have decided it is time to make my 800D what I truly envisioned doing when I first set out to do a water cooled system. Something unique and well executed. So far I have modified the front panel and done some cable sleeving. I will be making some custom panels out of acrylic and plan to get rid of a few of the mods I originally performed on the case for my last build. This will require making a custom metal shroud and riveting it to the bottom of the case to remove a hole I made for some fans. There is also the issue of a Koolance radiator shroud and if I will be keeping it as part of the build or not. It helps with having fans in push/pull but also adds height to the top of the case..

So for now a small preview of the cable sleeving I have done.

\

I will be reserving the first couple posts for component lists and final pictures when the build is complete. I plan to take as many pictures as possible during the build process. Sadly this is a build that will take a bit. I have a couple video cards and a water block or 2 to sell then I can get my new video cards for the rig. The new panels will happen as I get more acrylic and get a new saw so I can make cleaner/more accurate cuts. In the end I will most likely have to send a few panels off to be custom laser cut, but we will cross that path when I get there. I plan for all my main hardware to be Asus and more than likely all of my water cooling gear will be EK other than my pumps. Had horrible experience with attempting to RMA an EK pump so I will stick with my swiftech pump and then grab a second for either a dual loop or just for the added headroom. When I added my Motherboard waterblock in the previous loop my flow rate dropped a ton(based on movement of fluid in reservoir). I am still unsure of radiator selection. I currently have 2 XSPC RX series rads and love the performance they give but I am thinking of trying something from EK for this build.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PC Components

Case: Corsair 800D (owned)

Powersupply: OCZ ZX1250 (owned)

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z (owned)

CPU: AMD FX-8320 (owned)

Video Cards: 2x ASUS R9 290 DCII (need to purchase 1 card still)

MEMORY/RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 (owned)

SSD: 1x Crucial M4 120GB SATA3(boot drive) and 1x Samsung 250GB 840 Series(main game drive) (owned)

HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB and 1x Western Digital 3TB Blue Series for Media Library (owned)

Optional DVD Burner: Samsung SH-223L or Lite-ON iHAS-324B (owned)

Fans: Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition fans for 360mm Radiators. Corsair SP120 Performance Edition Fans for 120mm Radiator(if used) and either 2x Corsair AF140 Fans or Corsair AF140LED Fans in white for lower intake and rear exhaust

Water Cooling Components

CPU Waterblock: EK Supremacy Universal CPU Waterblock

Video Card Waterblock: EK R9 290X DCII CSQ Waterblocks

Memory Block: EK Monarch Series

Radiators: 2x EK Coolstream PE 360mm

Pumps: 2x Swiftech MCP35x with EK DDC CSQ Tops(1 owned, 1 need to purchase)

Fittings: Misc Bitspower angled fittings and either Bitspower acrylic compatible fittings or monsoons new hardline series fittings.

Fan Control and Lighting

Fan Controller: Corsair Link Commander with Cooling Node (owned) and Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter

Lighting: Either Corsair Link Commander and Lighting Node or custom RGB LED stips for accent to certain areas. Also considering making or buying a light box for the midplate.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Subbed
thumb.gif

That's pretty much the same colour scheme i will be going for with my next build actually, shame about the CVF/Z only being Red/Black though
redface.gif

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Subbed
thumb.gif

That's pretty much the same colour scheme i will be going for with my next build actually, shame about the CVF/Z only being Red/Black though
redface.gif
Red and black is pretty much the only choices with any ROG motherboard. There is a little bit of silver/grey in this board on the heatsink on the lower part of the board so I justified that as the reason to add some grey to the sleeving
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntfly02 View Post

Red and black is pretty much the only choices with any ROG motherboard. There is a little bit of silver/grey in this board on the heatsink on the lower part of the board so I justified that as the reason to add some grey to the sleeving
smile.gif
It looks good though
thumb.gif

I'll be interested to see what Mobo makers do with the next chipset (still a couple of years away), Hopefully we get some fully-loaded Mobo's with some good colour schemes
smile.gif

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntfly02 View Post

smile.gif
It looks good though
thumb.gif

I'll be interested to see what Mobo makers do with the next chipset (still a couple of years away), Hopefully we get some fully-loaded Mobo's with some good colour schemes
smile.gif
ASUS will stay with the Red and black themes for the ROG series for the time being for everything I have heard. Their most recent line of non-ROG boards all seem to be the gold theme which is nice cause it give you many accent colors to go with I think. MSI has also recently moved toward red themed parts with the Gaming Series. White needs to be added as a main color in my opinion. That opens things up for every color theme possible, especially If they use the PCB for accent colors. I may swap up my sleeving a little bit once I order more but I will be staying with the same colors. Maybe a different order though. Less symmetrical maybe.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a little work done Sunday on patching a previous mod I had done and I also started to get some component placement mocked up. Here is also a few shots of the new window cutout for the main side panel. So far my plan is to mount the first 360mm rad in the front and have 3 circular cutouts for the fans to intake from.

Here's a shot of what I previously did for the top of the case so that I could get my pull fan cables through into the case. Now I am having to figure out a new shroud or leave a set of fans and the koolance radiator shroud on the top of the case. Though it shouldn't be too hard to get an acrylic panel up top with some cutouts for fan grills.

Final update for today. Wrapped the PSU in some 3M Di-Noc Black Carbon Fiber and then some basic wire routing and placement of my Corsair Link components and I ordered the first of my 2 Video cards. Decided on ASUS R9 290 DirectCUII OCs

I almost forgot I have an email into coldzero to see about getting a custom motherboard tray and mid-plate.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the first of 2 video cards in the other day. Its almost a shame to watercool these ASUS cards. They look sexy enough on their own
thumb.gif

I also had a few cable combs left over from Lutro0 and installed them on some of my power cables. I love these little things. Makes a cable flow just perfectly. Please ignore the blue and temporary CPU cooling
redface.gif

·
Optics Fiend
4,861 Posts
Subbed keep us updated on that 360mm front mod. I'm interested to see how it turns out, my have to change my plans i had for putting a 360 & 240mm in the bottom of my 800D.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post

Subbed keep us updated on that 360mm front mod. I'm interested to see how it turns out, my have to change my plans i had for putting a 360 & 240mm in the bottom of my 800D.
Here is what I was thinking of doing with a peice of acrylic just behind the front panel. There is a small lip that I can mount he acrylic into.

Then I though about doing it on the outside of the front panel, but I would have to figure out the cutout for the front panel connectors and the power/reset buttons. However, now I am thinking about just putting a piece or a couple pieces of smoked acrylic behind the front panel and when lights are turned on you will be able to see through it to the front of the rads. there is a TON of space between the front panel and the actual front of the case, and there is a LARGE hole at the bottom of the panel which should be more than enough air for the fans to pull from.

My Idea for if I do the 3 circle though is so that it comes out somewhat like my little italy build is. With the ring around the fan having light shine through it and not the rest of the panels.

Sort of like this but with 3 fans

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do have a small update. I've started making some custom power cables. So far I have only done 2 SATA power cables. One has 3 right angle connectors on it and for the time being only has just 1 standard style SATA connector. I plan to splice 2 connectors in line to power my fan splitters

Took me forever to find a place in town that had 18 gauge wire suited for this. 100ft for $10. Cheaper than anything I found online. The red white and green wire is left over from my little italy build. Tons of green wire left...but its the perfect size so I'll use it for cables that will be sleeved in black or not seen.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is what I'm thinking of using for mounting the Radiator to the mid plate in the case. If I have to get two of them and work one into the top of the case I will, but between tubing and a brace I hope to make for the front of the radiator I think it should be enough.

If I get a different radiator it may not work to mount it and I will have to come up with another option. I am thinking that I will just get 1 new radiator though and run just the GPUs off the thick rad in the front. I am a little worried about not having enough rad for the 2 R9 290s but I had super low temps in this rig before. Almost radiator overkill and from what I remember its 120mm per waterblock with an extra for that added cooling so it will be 120mm x 1.5 per block for my GPUs and then I will be getting another rad for up top. Maybe an EK Coolstream or an XSPC AX360. I really like the design and build quality of that line of rads. I am thinking about painting my rads though so that may alter my choice depending on what color I decide to paint them. Thinking a dark almost pewter grey OR white. White in my opinion will stand out too much and not really go with the rest of the build. A dark gray will accent things and only stand out slightly.

Something I still haven't fully unveiled for this build is the theme. It is sort of ROG colors since the motherboard has the colors, but I am gearing it more towards a certain game franchise. I am however still working on the design of the front panel skin. I am going to have something done by a company that does vehicle wrapping. There isn't a ton of space on the lower area but it should be enough for a logo with a background image. While I'm talking about vinyl I am most likely going to get either a matte black or really dark gray contact paper to replace the carbon fiber wrapped stuff I have already done. Carbon fiber doesn't really fit with the rest of the theme.

I feel somewhat stuck on this build right now, I need to get my second GPU then start getting some waterblocks. Until then I cannot really move forward on anything more than a few mods. For now I need to start getting my acrylic panels, and then I can start on some of the more custom things I want to do. Have 2 Rad/fan shrouds to make and figure out the front panel. 2 options, 1 somewhat simple but may turn out to look really cool. The other, without a laser cutter or CNC somewhat hard to get perfect with a hand drill or my drill press. I will at least attempt the hard version first. See how it turns out then decide how to Want to proceed. I may in the end do a hybrid of both so all that can really be seen is the tinted glow of the rings in front of each fan. I somewhat have high hopes for this build. I just hope I can pull most of the mods off myself without having to send anything out to a shop to be done.

I have however ordered more sleeving to get that part of the build finished. Though I forgot to order male atx pins so I can make an extension. Which reminds me I need to ask Lutro0 about wire lengths for getting that perfect rainbow look. I also ordered a few parts for the loop. Got my second res, a new tube for the old res, 2 anti vibration mounts for the DDC pumps and an plate EK sells for mounting a DDC pump to. I am only using the plate as a template for the mounting holes for the antivibration mounts.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a box in the mail today.

Installed the antivibration mount on my first pump, also got my second res and the replacement tube for my first res. I have to say it looks soooooo much better than my old tube. That thing was munged up with burnt on UV particles. Anyone that sees this if you use mayhems UV pastel coolants be aware of having your lighting to close to your tubing or it will literally cook the UV particles. I will be starting to mod the lower plate for both mounts soon and in the next few weeks I should get the radiator mount ordered.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpPrism View Post

I'd like to see what you can do with this one stuntfly.
wave2.gif
Glad you found this thread WarpPrism. I have big plans for this build as well. Hope it gets as much interest as little italy got.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got more sleeving in the mail today. More black, gray, white and red for single wires/fan cables and then some red for sata cables and black for the front panel connectors.

I also decided to finish my split sata wire. I should have maybe split it a second time since I know I will be needing a second swiftech 8 way splitter. If I have to I may just make another wire to power only the second PWM splitter.

Final update for today is just everything all sleeved and connected. I think only 2 cables right now is not fully sleeved. My molex cable and like 2 of the 8 wires on the second 8pin CPU power connector. I will do those later, especially since the molex cable will be custom made.

I have a slight question though for anyone following the build. Other than making things possibly harder to bleed, any issues putting the fittings at the bottom of the case instead of the top like this? You may also see the layout I have planned for the pumps. Going to be a dual loop system. I just have to figure out how complicated I can make it and still run the new Aurora coolant.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwrath View Post

sub'd - i am going to keep my hot swap bay LOL
Other than HDD space I never used them. I've always had at most 4 HDD and 2-3 DVD drives. I am using the DVD drives less and less, so I will route 1 extra SATA power connector and data cable to my lower bay and hook up a DVD drive when I need to use one. The main reason for removing the hot swap bays was to remove the DVD trays as well as mount the 360mm rad in front.

On another note, I have somewhat scrapped my original idea for my front panel logo. Which is what the overall theme of the build was going to represent(combined with ROG). What I had planned is just going to cost to much to have made and I will go with just ROG. More of my plans to be unveiled soon hopefully.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts