I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Good news! It seemed that all my tech haunts had supply of the Fractal Design Ions today. So I went over to PC Canada and low and behold the ETA they gave me was spot on as they also now had stock of the Fractal Design Ions. I chatted with a representative and they informed me that my PSU shipped out this morning!!

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
PSU is finally here!

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
PC fully assembled:

After installing the new PSU, computer turned on without issues. It recognized the Blu-ray as well which was never connected to the test bench.

PC no longer crashes in game menus and in game. I took 3 steps to mitigate this prior to running my first game:

1. I connected both CPU power connectors on the Asus Tuf x570 mobo.
2. I manually set the clocks in MSI AB.
3. The new Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum rated PSU is capable where the older cheap Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU was not.

I'm thinking #3 was the culprit. Today was the last day I could return the card to Canada Computers and have them honor the 30 day return policy, otherwise I would have had to deal with MSI. Either way, I'm glad things worked out.

To answer one of my other questions, it does not matter what you set in MSI AB, I set my core to stock 1755 MHz, and the card boosted to 1938 MHz while benching BL3 twice and just sitting at game menus.

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
As it sits!

Attachments

·
1689 Federalist
11,710 Posts
For an open case I like that fact that it has a spot for the two fans. Would you recommend the case?

Edit## Just saw the price. Why is that case so expensive. Doesn't seem like there's much there.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Review of the Veddha GriderCase alpha V1

The case ships from China so expect an ETA of ~3 weeks.

There are 3 tiers for this case. I ordered the cheapest one ($106 CAD) that did not include the fans as I had my own.

The case is made from a light, sturdy aluminum chassis.

The manual is useful but crucial steps are omitted and you will be retracing some steps.

Expect some paint blemishes. In my case there were two scuffed areas of ~1cm x 2mm each - work around use a black permanent marker to go over those areas.

The package may include the wrong screws - work around would be to see what you have left and use those parts to make things work. As an example the included silver bracket screws were too small to thread into the brackets that slide within the frame of the open air case. I came up with a work around, however I believe in getting what you paid for and contacted the seller via Amazon and they responded by asking for a photo. The representative thanked me for the photo and relayed that he would contact the warehouse. That is the last I've heard.

The package is lacking and you will find yourself missing some screws - work around use screws that come with your fans and PSU.

The case I/O bracket fell short of being flush with the GPU I/O bracket - work around use two bolts/washers to erase the gap. I was aware of this issue as one owner's review on Amazon mentioned that design flaw. After this solution, the card will slot without any sagging.

The bottom aluminum pedestals may scratch the table. Using the plastic square plugs may help - work around would be not to move the case around, lift the case directly from the table and lightly sand the tip of the aluminum bars.

It sounds all bad but if you're tired of rectangular boxed cases and want to display your rig and have easy access when in need then you can't beat this setup. If you're not easily defeated, have some patience and a spark of imagination then I wholeheartedly recommend this case.

Link to where you can purchase the case here.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
I downloaded DRAM Calculator for Ryzen v.1.6.2, Thaiphoon Burner 16.1.1.0 build 1116 Cumulative and MemTest86 v.8.3 in preparation for some RAM overclocking.

After entering the vital information from the Thaiphoon Burner into the DRAM Calculator I get the following recommendations.

RAM Calculator - Calculate Safe:

RAM Calculator - Calculate Fast:

The DRAM Calculator for Ryzen Thread here.

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
GPU Core 2000MHz OC vs. 1755MHz Stock

I first ran Heaven in windowed mode at 720p to test the stability of a 2000MHz OC on the Core which would have given me a chance to adjust on the fly should I have encountered any problems. It ran fine.

I upped the resolution to 1440p and in Fullscreen I benched the 2000MHz OC on the Core:

I kept the 1440p resolution and the Fullscreen mode and benched the card at stock 1755MHz on the Core:

You will notice that the card maxed out at 1958MHz on the core during benching with an 8fps gain on average and a 2fps bump to the min fps.

I don't get it. All the horror stories you hear about the reference cards?! The card max temp reached 65C and the Thermal Junction hit a max of 83C. Memory and VRM temps were also great. It's like the card is saying "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Attachments

·
Hardware Princess
1,898 Posts
How do you like the Ion 860? Been considering it for my Z390 rig

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Review of the Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 80 PLUS Platinum Certified 860W Full Modular Compact ATX Power Supply with UltraFlex Cables

I fell in love with the Fractal Design Ion+ 860P at first sight - a real looker but past that they don't lie about the cables. They are like wet noodles in your hand so very easy to route and cable manage.

It's a smaller PSU so a room saver (as big as a 140mm fan) and fully modular.

It has a quiet mode switch. It's also quiet without the use of the switch.

Compatible with modern PC systems to satiate every power requirement that a mobo, CPU and GPU(s) may require.

Also solid on the rails. The best thing happened to me to prove that is when I was using a cheap stand-in PSU and the PC was unstable in game menus and in play but once I got the Ion all that went away!!

Also US prices on this PSU are crazy reasonable considering the 80+ Platinum quality you're getting.

From past experience, Fractal Design customer service is A1.

The PSU is highly rated as well: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-ion-platinum-660-and-860w-power-supplies-review,1.html

·
Hardware Princess
1,898 Posts
I fell in love at first sight - a real looker, but past that they don't lie about the cables. They are like wet noodles in your hand so very easy to route and cable manage.

It's a smaller PSU so a room saver (as big as a 140mm fan).

It has a quiet mode switch.

Also solid on the rails. The best thing happened to me to prove that is when I was using a cheap stand in PSU and the PC was unstable in game menus and in play, but once I got the Ion all that went away!!

Also US prices on this PSU are crazy considering the 80+ Platinum quality you're getting.

Highly rated as well: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/fractal-design-ion-platinum-660-and-860w-power-supplies-review,1.html
Seems like a deal for $130 or so. The easy bendy cables would be a plus to me, I'm used to the monster 12 gauge evga cables that are like a garden hose lol. My 1300g2 suffered an audible failure due to capacitor rupture

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Seems like a deal for $130 or so. The easy bendy cables would be a plus to me, I'm used to the monster 12 gauge evga cables that are like a garden hose lol. My 1300g2 suffered an audible failure due to capacitor rupture
Go for it, you won't regret it!

·
1689 Federalist
11,710 Posts
I don't get it. All the horror stories you hear about the reference cards?! The card max temp reached 65C and the Thermal Junction hit a max of 83C. Memory and VRM temps were also great. It's like the card is saying "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."
I agree, but don't think heaven is that demanding.

My temp are similar with stock voltage at 1800mhz (actual clock). But when I set it to 2000 and 1.2v things get pretty toasty. Like 80c and 95c.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

My temp are similar with stock voltage at 1800mhz (actual clock). But when I set it to 2000 and 1.2v things get pretty toasty. Like 80c and 95c.
What is stock voltage on this card? MSI AB automatically puts it at 1.200v.

·
1689 Federalist
11,710 Posts

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)

Well I tested out the 2000MHz OC at 1.2v and +50% PL and got the highest Time Spy score yet:

Since Time Spy is more demanding temps went up on the GPU from 65C to 68C and TJunction from 83C to 93C. Memory and VRM are still shilling:

Note that the Core hit a max of 1970MHz.

I don't think there is a need to push the card any higher than 2000MHz, however I will try to dial in the vcore to get the best temps possible after I also try to OC the Mem.

Attachments

·
1689 Federalist
11,710 Posts
I've personally settled on 1800 for my game clock for the reason you mentioned. Keeping temps down.

I don't notice a difference jumping up to 2000 other than way more heat.

I haven't messed with the vcore much to get it down. I probably should but I'm more of a quick and dirty OC guy.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
I've personally settled on 1800 for my game clock for the reason you mentioned. Keeping temps down.

I don't notice a difference jumping up to 2000 other than way more heat.

I haven't messed with the vcore much to get it down. I probably should but I'm more of a quick and dirty OC guy.
You kept your Mem Stock at 1750MHz? Mine won't do 1800MHz or 1775MHz for that matter. :mad:

The screen will start to black screen at 2 to 3 second intervals for a split second.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Culminating Results for GPU OC

I tried lowering the vcore from 1200 stock for my card to 1170 with success while benching with Time Spy. I kept an eye for flickering, artifacting and crashing and there was nothing like that. Nothing like the characteristics of a suicide run. The card was not throttling with 1200 vcore at 2000MHz Core so the score with 1170 vcore at 2000MHz Core remained the same:

Max core reached 1950MHz and on MEM 1774MHz. Weird since if I manually overclock the Mem to 1774MHz I get the aforementioned black screen at 2 to 3 second intervals for a split second. :headscrat

Note that the GPU temp went down 1C (margin of error) from 68C to 67C and 3C on TJunction from 93C to 90C.

Games don't push the card like that. I think I will keep 2000MHz on Core, 1750MHz on Mem at 1170 vcore and +50% PL.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 102 Posts