[Build Log] Fast n' Cheap:
I finally cracked and I went for an all new build.
Here is what I obtained for a 1440p, 144Hz Gaming Computer:
01. RYZEN 7 3700X - Canada Computers $409.00 (redeemed The Outer Worlds with the CPU) (3 year warranty)
02. Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans - newegg.ca $99.95 (6 year warranty)
03. ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AMD AM4 X570 ATX - Canada Computers $189.00 (3 year warranty)
04. G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 16-19-19-39 CAS Latency 16 1.35V - newegg.ca $183.99 (lifetime)
05. MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT - Canada Computers $458.88 (redeemed Borderlands 3 with the GPU) (3 year warranty)
06. Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD - Amazon.ca $184.87 (5 year warranty)
07. Seagate BarraCuda ST3000DM008 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD - newegg.ca $101.99 (2 year warranty)
08. Veddha GriderCase alpha V1 Water Cooling Motherboard Test Bench Open Air Frame - Amazon.ca $106.14 (1 year warranty)
09. Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 80 PLUS Platinum Certified 860W Full Modular Compact ATX Power Supply with UltraFlex Cables - PC Canada $175.99 (10 year warranty)
10. Redragon K589 SHRAPNEL RGB Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Amazon.ca $51.99 (2 year warranty with registration or if purchased directly from Redragon)
11. Logitech G502 Hero High Performance Gaming Mouse (Firmware v.127.1.7) - Amazon.ca $75.06 (1 year warranty)
12. PulseLabz Challenger Gaming Chair - PulseLabz $274.99 (10 year warranty)
Grand Total (Taxes + Shipping - Rebate): $2632.30
The mouse and chair broke recently, so I had to replace them. I was also tired of squinting at the weak mono red leds on the Logitech G15 keyboard. If you don't need any of those then the total cost including the $20 rebate on the GPU would have been $1949.82. If I would have reused my EVGA G2 PSU the total would have been $1875.24. Now if I would have completely pillaged my current PC and also reused the HDD, Case and Cooler (probably would have needed an AM4 bracket) the grand total would have been $1521.87. I had a budget of ~$1500 in mind but the Black Friday sales kept coming and once you start you can't stop!
The Optical Drive will be an LG 16X SATA Blu-Ray Internal Rewriter with 3D Playback and M-DISC Support Optical Drive BH16NS40 that I received as a replacement from LG for a defective one and has been sitting in a drawer. I will also use two of the excess Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM I have kicking around.
I plan on doing a lot of experimenting, sort of what I did with "The Hawaiian Heat Wave" (in sig), so stay tuned. Refer to posts #13 and #28 for ideas on what's to come from this build log.
Let me know what you think and leave a comment!
01. How can I tell if my RAM is compatible with my Motherboard? (page 03 - post #021
02. Register your computer hardware. (page 03 - post #024
03. PulseLabz Challenger gaming chair assembly. (page 03 - post #25)
04. Join relevant clubs for your build. (page 04 - post #32)
05. Steps to take after installing Windows 10. (page 4 - post #40)
06. What tools should I use to help me test the stability of my overclocks for CPU, GPU and RAM. (page 5 - post #42)
07. How well does my last PC "The Hawaiian Heat Wave" - 4770K @ 4.5GHz and 2 x R9 290 OC'd in CFX compare with my new PC "Fast n' Furious" - 3700X and 5700 XT Stock? (page 5 - post #43)
08. DX11 vs. DX12 in Borderlands 3. (page 5 - post #47)
09. Does Win 10 Game Mode enhance FPS? (page 5 - post #48)
10. Hardware Unboxed Borderlands 3 tweaks for improved performance with hardly any loss to visual fidelity. (page 5 - post #49)
11. Review of the Veddha GriderCase alpha V1. (page 7 - post #67)
12. RX 5700 XT Core 2000MHz OC vs. 1755MHz Stock. (page 7 - post #69)
13. Review of the Fractal Design Ion+ 860P. (page 8 - post #71)
14. Culminating results for GPU OC. (page 8 - post #80)
15. Does manually setting the Infinity Fabric in the Bios make a difference? (page 9 - post #81)
16. Does Enabling PBO Advancced + OC 200MHz in Bios Make a Difference? (page 9 - post #82)
17. RAM OC. (page 9 - post #85)
18. SSD speed comparisons between a good SATA SSD and a Gen 4 M.2 SSD. (page 9 - post #87)
19. Neon Noir Ray Tracing Benchmark. (page 9 - post #89) (page 10 - post #94)
20. Cumulative combined OC results. (page 9 - post #88)
21. How to Bench like a Pro. (page 10 - post #97)