Overclock.net banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Does Manually Setting the Infinity Fabric in the Bios Make a Difference?

I went into the Bios and manually set the Infinity Fabric to 1800MHz (half of my RAM's rated speed) from the Auto setting and benchmarked using Time Spy.

Time Spy Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, Stock CPU, OC GPU 2000MHz Core (1170mV & +50% PL):

As you can attest, there is an advantage to changing the Auto setting to half your rated RAM speed as in my case it increased my CPU score by 246 points with that change alone!

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Does Enabling PBO Advanced + OC 200MHz in Bios Make a Difference?

Once more using Time Spy to bench after enabling PBO Advanced + OC 200MHz along constants of Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, GPU OC 2000MHz Core (1170mV & +50% PL). In my case, CPU temps didn't really go up but neither did the CPU score.

To confirm I ran Cinebench R15 three time with PBO + OC and got 2098, 2091 and 2095. I went back into the Bios and reverted PBO to Auto and still got 2094, 2091 and 2094.

While PBO was still set to Auto, I booted up HWiNFO64 to see what the cores were doing. You can see that 6 out of the 8 cores hit 4.3+GHz and CPU hit 2102 in Cinebench 15 on this occasion.

While doing other things, I was closing all the opened windows and noticed that all the cores had hit 4.3+GHz.

AMD did not leave much performance on the table. The moral of the story, let the mobo do its thing.

I think the biggest gains will come from OC'ing the RAM.

Attachments

·
technologist
4,521 Posts
Nice scores.

As an aside, would you recommend The Outer Worlds? I'm somewhat interested in it, as my rig was always primarily to play single-player Western PC RPGs that are AAA quality... I didn't like The Witcher 3 (gameplay too simple, too much focus on graphics & story), since Cyberpunk is made by the same dev I'll probably hate it. I am not too big on the 'It's an RPG because it has loot and damage numbers and a skill tree' mentality, so I dislike Borderlands and Fallout 4, though I did thoroughly play and enjoy Skyrim for hundreds of hours...Everyone strongly disliked Dragon Age Inquisition, and I'm sure the followup in 2021 will be total crap because EA, and the writers for the first three games left. Of course I preferred DA:O to Inquisition, but Inquisition was way better than the abysmal Dragon Age 2. What I'm getting at is, I have this awesome rig, RPGs are my preferred genre, I originally built it for DA and Skyrim, and I've had little to nothing to play that way since about 2014 with DA:I. Is Outer Worlds worth it? Does it crash randomly/full of bugs? (Currently playing another title that's essentially unplayable because it quits to desktop with no error randomly, making it unplayable...) Thanks!

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Nice scores.

As an aside, would you recommend The Outer Worlds? I'm somewhat interested in it, as my rig was always primarily to play single-player Western PC RPGs that are AAA quality... I didn't like The Witcher 3 (gameplay too simple, too much focus on graphics & story), since Cyberpunk is made by the same dev I'll probably hate it. I am not too big on the 'It's an RPG because it has loot and damage numbers and a skill tree' mentality, so I dislike Borderlands and Fallout 4, though I did thoroughly play and enjoy Skyrim for hundreds of hours...Everyone strongly disliked Dragon Age Inquisition, and I'm sure the followup in 2021 will be total crap because EA, and the writers for the first three games left. Of course I preferred DA:O to Inquisition, but Inquisition was way better than the abysmal Dragon Age 2. What I'm getting at is, I have this awesome rig, RPGs are my preferred genre, I originally built it for DA and Skyrim, and I've had little to nothing to play that way since about 2014 with DA:I. Is Outer Worlds worth it? Does it crash randomly/full of bugs? (Currently playing another title that's essentially unplayable because it quits to desktop with no error randomly, making it unplayable...) Thanks!
I use The Outer Worlds to test stability and I haven't made it past the tutorial yet. Game does not crash and reviews noted that it was relatively bug free upon release. So any sort of bugs have most likely been squashed by now.

I asked my son in-law, who had finished the game, and he compared it to Fallout: New Vegas (same developer). Considering I recently finished playing Fallout 4, I'm not quite ready to take a full plunge into The Outer Worlds. What bums me out as well is that it's not really an open world game either. I remember playing Metro 2 to test stability of my The Hawaiian Heat Wave (in sig) and it was years later that I ended up finishing the game.

I say there is no game right now I want to play. If Metro Exodus fell into my lap then maybe I would play that one, otherwise I would give Cyberpunk 2077 a shot. The urban setting and the cyberpunk theme will make it a much different game than the Witcher of which I greatly enjoyed 1, 2 and 3.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
RAM OC

As a refresher, I have the G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 16-19-19-39 CAS Latency 16 1.35V.

I downloaded DRAM Calculator for Ryzen v.1.6.2, Thaiphoon Burner 16.1.1.0 build 1116 Cumulative and MemTest86 v.8.3 in preparation for some RAM overclocking.

After entering the vital information from the Thaiphoon Burner into the DRAM Calculator I got the following recommendations.

RAM Calculator - Calculate Safe:

RAM Calculator - Calculate Fast:

The DRAM Calculator for Ryzen Thread here.

Today, I booted into my Asus Tuf x570 Bios and entered the info for the "Calculate Safe" numbers.

While the mobo had more settings, if they were not on the list I left them on Auto. However, in some instances for example when it came to the tRCDWR setting my mobo would not allow 20 (as suggested by the calculator) and the highest it would go was 19, so whenever I encountered this dilemma, I just left those ones on Auto as well.

Also full disclosure, I kept DOCP and did not dial in recommended volts since Steve from Hardware Unboxed just left both of these things alone (other then DRAM Voltage).

I saved the new Bios config and the boot sequence hung on the RAM check. Since a $200 mobo does not come with a Start or a CMOS Reset button these days, I unplugged the PSU, removed the CMOS battery, powered down the power button and waited for a minute. Once I reinstalled the CMOS battery and powered the mobo, it did it's thing and got me back into Bios. I put everything back to stock, enabled DOCP and Infinity Fabric at 1800MHz.

I asked for help from the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen thread and will update should the need arise.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
3700X Stock, 5700 XT Stock and RAM DOCP:

3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2000MHz Core (1170mV & +50% PL) and RAM DOCP:

Like I said before, AMD did not leave much performance on the table.

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
AD SSD Benchmark of my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD in the Hawaiian Heat Wave (in sig):

AD SSD Benchmark of my Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD:

Nice!

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
So after a lot of fuss, this is where I've landed.

1. CPU: Manually setting the Infinity Fabric to 1800MHz (half my rated RAM speed) from Auto.

2. RAM: Manually setting DOCP Profile from Auto

3. a) GPU: MSI Afterburner Profile 1 - Core 1605MHz, MEM 1750MHz (1000mV & +0% PL)
---b) GPU: MSI Afterburner Profile 2 - Core 2000MHz, MEM 1750MHz (1170mV & +50% PL)
---c) GPU: MSI Afterburner Profile 3 - Core 2125MHz, MEM 1750MHz (1200mV & +50% PL)

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Neon Noir Ray Tracing Benchmark

1600x1200
Ray Tracing Ultra
Windowed

Attachments

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,762 Posts
Nice scores.

i'd wait for #2 unless you're just an absolute 3D fallout fan boy? idk man, I didn't finish it. be prepared for an instanced hub world setup, with very little exploration.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
After some convincing from fellow OCN'ers I decided to OC the GPU further.

I tried 2150MHz on the GPU Core with 1170mV & +50% PL and Superposition crashed sometime during the bench.

Superposition 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2150MHz Core (1200mV & +50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

The 2150MHz on the GPU Core in comparison to just 2000MHz increased my Superposition 1080p Extreme Score by over 300 points as the card now was actually boosting over 2000MHz!

I will be adding a third profile in MSI Afterburner.

Attachments

·
1689 Federalist
11,745 Posts
Seems like you still have some voltage left to push through that card? Still fairly low, has it not helped you?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Seems like you still have some voltage left to push through that card? Still fairly low, has it not helped you?
What max volts can this card safely handle? I only tried 1.2v as max.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Ok now that I know what I'm doing with this Benchmark.

1440p
Ray Tracing Ultra
Fullscreen

Neon Noir 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2150MHz Core (1200mV & +50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

Note that the GPU Core hit 2104MHz!

·
1689 Federalist
11,745 Posts

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
How brave are you :devil::devil::devil:
Brave enough to try after I had a driver crash benching Time Spy at Core 2150MHz but MSI Afterburner would not allow me to go over 1.2v (even after enabling "Extend official overclocking limits" in settings) and I'm not really interested in the MorePowerTool mod.

So I decided to lower the Core by 25MHz and things worked out and I was finally able to break the 10000 Score barrier!

Run 1 - Time Spy 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2125MHz Core (1200mV & +50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

Run 2 - Time Spy 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2125MHz Core (1200mV & +50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

Card never hit 100C on the TJunction and everything else stayed relatively cool.

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Bench Like a Pro

After properly setting up MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics Server you can quickly and precisely monitor your OC progress and maintain a helpful record.

This will also prove useful when gaming.

MSI AB Profile 1 - Heaven 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 1605MHz Core (1000mV & + 0% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

02-01-2020, 15:47:14 heaven.exe benchmark completed, 16674 frames rendered in 254.797 s
Average framerate : 65.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 45.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 113.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 48.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 6.4 FPS

MSI AB Profile 2 - Heaven 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2000MHz Core (1170mV & + 50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

02-01-2020, 16:24:02 heaven.exe benchmark completed, 19480 frames rendered in 255.719 s
Average framerate : 76.1 FPS
Minimum framerate : 52.7 FPS
Maximum framerate : 132.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 56.2 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 16.0 FPS

MSI AB Profile 3 - Heaven 3700X Infinity Fabric 1800MHz, 5700 XT 2125MHz Core (1200mV & + 50% PL) and RAM (DOCP):

02-01-2020, 16:36:42 heaven.exe benchmark completed, 19968 frames rendered in 253.437 s
Average framerate : 78.7 FPS
Minimum framerate : 54.8 FPS
Maximum framerate : 138.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 58.1 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 15.8 FPS

Following All 3 MSI AB Profile Runs:

For a great tutorial use this:

Attachments

·
Amiga 500
3,701 Posts
Came out great , kudos .. thanks for the Hawaii gpu comparisons also :thumb:

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
I added a 1080p 40" wireless TV to the setup!

The TV will allow me to watch Netflix, serf You Tube or watch TV while playing games.

I opted not to tether a second monitor to the Fast n' Furious PC since that may cause issues especially with the 5700 XT as AMD keeps working on the drivers. I also tested with my previous system (The Hawaiian Heat Wave in sig) and dual monitors will drop your fps in games (up to 10fps).

For a while now I was using my previous system to surf while playing games but that caused extra noise and having two computers on also used more electricity.

The TV is mounted on a ceiling wall mount. The mount allows a 360 degree rotation of the TV should I want to lay on the couch and an easy lift and carry of the TV anywhere in and out of the house.

I primarily got the TV to enjoy the month long 2020 FIFA World Cup out on the deck with a glass of scotch and a cigar in hand!

Attachments

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

MSI RX 5700 XT (reference):

Initially, the card showed some signs of instability which I chalked up to the stand-in Thermaltake PSU while awaiting the Fractal Design Ion+ 860 Platinum. I did not engage much with the PC in the last year. Since it was build, I only played the intro to Borderlands 3, 3/4 of Metro Exodus and finished Syberia 3 which a potato can run. The real problems started with Cyberpunk 2077. The card would persistently artifact/crash and that behaviour migrated from Cyberpunk 2077 to Metro Exodus. I patched Cyberpunk 2077, verified the integrity of the game files (did not get a missing/corrupt file(s) notification), made sure Win 10 was up to date and upped my page file from Win 10 default of 4.8GB to 32GB. I underclocked and undervolted the card. Since CDPR recommends installation of Cyberpunk 2077 on an SSD, I followed by dedicated a fan blowing air on the Corsair Gen 4 M.2 drive as it's common knowledge that Gen 4 SSDs tend to get hot. I also dropped to PCIe Gen 3 and abstained from using MSI AB. No amount of troubleshooting attempt was successful to mitigate what turned out to be a defective card.

MSI provided RMA info right after my 1st e-mail. No fuss no muss. MSI will give you 20 days to ship the card at your own expense. They will pay for shipping back to you. No cross shipping. MSI also noted they will ship a refurbished product which I'm not to keen on.

PCIe Gen 4:

I also had another question being did Asus/AMD fix gaming/general stability issues with PCIe Auto/Gen 4? I was and still am using 1407 Bios. I had read on reddit that the AIBs had removed broken PCIe Gen 4 accessibility from their mobos with updated Bios'. It would be a pity to have adopted Gen 4 only to be forced to use Gen 3 for general stability.

I noticed three things when switching from PCIe Gen 4 to Gen 3. One, the switch did not seem to affect M.2 Gen 4 SSD Drive performance. Two, the CPU was boosting normally averaging 4300-4350 and boosting to 4400 MHz. Three, the temps on the GPU die and the hotspot dropped by more than 10C.

I went to Asus directly with the question. Asus responded with "The removal of PCIE gen 4 was applied to X470 chipset motherboards for some bios and not the X570-plue which is customer's model. Rest assured that the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS has PCIE Gen 4 with Ryzen 3700X with latest bios" and "To answer your question about the stability of your computer when using PCI-E gen 4, as long as your BIOS is updated the Gen 4 card will work properly with the motherboard."

81 - 100 of 102 Posts