• Case: Silverstone FT04S-W
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7 TH
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k (Delidded) with Koolance 380i water block
  • GPU: Crossfire, 2 x AMD R9 280x with EK water block and backplate
  • PSU: SeaSonic X-1250 (SS-1250XM2) 1250W 80 PLUS GOLD
  • Optical Drive: Slot-loading drive in Silverstone FP58S Optical Cover Bay
  • SSD: 2 x 256 GB Toshiba Q Series Pro
  • HDD: 2 x 2 TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T
  • Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 180mm Dual, Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 180mm Dual, Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm
  • Reservoir Bay: Koolance RP-401X2 Rev 1.1
  • Pump: 2 x Swiftech MCP35X PWM
  • Tubes: 1/2'' ID, 3/4'' OD Primoflex Advanced LRT Crystal Clear
  • Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow and Orange (Mixed)
  • Fittings: Barrows

Following my Silverstone FT02 watercooling mod I decided to create a watercooling build out of the Silverstone FT04 case to see what the case is capable of.

I set out to create a build that would closely approximate, if not exceed, the radiator surface area of the triple 180mm radiator setup that I have in my FT02 case. While the air flow may not be as optimal, I settled on using a dual 180mm radiator for the front and a dual 140mm radiator for the bottom of the case. I also added a 120mm radiator in the back more for aesthetics, rather than for practicality. To fit in the radiators I had no choice but to disassemble the entire case and unrivet a few of the panels.

Since I sacrificed hard drive storage space at the bottom in order to add the 240mm radiator, I added a Silverstone caddy to hold four 2.5 in drives as well as an optical drive.

I also used a Koolance RP-401x2 to hold 2 MCP35X PWM pumps.

For reference, here are various pictures of measurements that I've made of the case when I was trying to determine which radiators I could fit in.

To attach the bottom radiator I cut out a portion of the bottom panel with a dremel and then attached a fan grill.

Due to the limited clearance in the case I was not able to simply drop in the dual 180mm radiator in the front. The 45mm thick radiator interfered with raised standoffs at the base, so it was necessary to cut a portion of those off. Also, to have the radiator lay flush with the front of the case a portion of a flange that interfered with the radiator was cut away and openings were made for the front fill ports.

Final Build

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Wow, I never thought i would see a nice FT04 build like that and i think most people didn't even notice the case when it came out so props X 2 on this one!.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen. Part of the reason I wanted to do this build is because I felt nobody truly gave the FT04 case much of a chance, probably, as I would guess, because it lies in the shadow of its predecessor, the FT02. Nevertheless, I found the case to be quite capable. If you can make do without too much internal storage space, 5.25 drive bays, and the 90 degree motherboard orientation, then you can get similar cooling capabilities as the FT02 while also gaining the ability to potentially fit a larger motherboard (SSI-EEB) and longer GPUs, all in a space efficient case that, not to mention, has much better cable management.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wow, yet another heavy hitter Silverstone build by Tekm...very nice!! I really like how you decided to use such a rarely watercooled (if ever?) case. The yellow looks clean in that build, great choice. Thanks for showing us that even the most esoteric cases can be modified to be watercooled! And again, +repped!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tekm, I hope you're still around, I have a couple of questions. I'm considering this case with just a front EKWB dual 180mm 35mm thick radiator that looks like it will just fit, maybe even without having to cut the standoffs at the bottom of the case like you did.

I don't have the case, so I'm going by your measurements--thanks for posting those btw.

In one picture, it shows 2 pieces of plastic sticking through from the front of the case below the bottom fan that I'm assuming must be the clips from the front filter? Did you have to do anything about those, or did you just leave the front filter off?

Also, do you see any obvious problems fitting this? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-we-360-dual#ow_alert_box

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotinusRedux View Post

Tekm, I hope you're still around, I have a couple of questions. I'm considering this case with just a front EKWB dual 180mm 35mm thick radiator that looks like it will just fit, maybe even without having to cut the standoffs at the bottom of the case like you did.

I don't have the case, so I'm going by your measurements--thanks for posting those btw.
Nice to hear that someone else is giving the FT04 a shot at water-cooling. The front radiator was definitely a tight fit for me but I agree that the EKWB radiator should be easier to fit in given the smaller depth and height.

Quote:

In one picture, it shows 2 pieces of plastic sticking through from the front of the case below the bottom fan that I'm assuming must be the clips from the front filter? Did you have to do anything about those, or did you just leave the front filter off?
Yes, I had to trim off the clips from the bottom of the front filter. I still use the filter and it fits securely with the two top clips locked in place.

Quote:

Also, do you see any obvious problems fitting this? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-we-360-dual#ow_alert_box

Thanks.
No, I think it looks good to me.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tekm, thanks for the response.

I've had an FT02 for years and have wanted to pair a radiator with Silverstone's AP182 fans, but I haven't really cared for the mods required to that case to do so. Area-wise, a dual 180mm rad = 4.5 120mm rads, so it's a much more efficient use of space and should be more than enough for single CPU and GPU, and the AP182's have plenty of static pressure.

The FT04 looks like a much better option for watercooling--I wonder why they didn't make the couple of very minor changes (like the plastic filter clips at the bottom) it would have taken to advertise the case as supporting a dual 180mm rad stock. The option of a triple 120mm rad they do advertise seems silly--the 180mm fans are the whole point of the case, at least as far as I'm concerned, if I wanted a triple 120mm I'd go with one of the hundreds of other cases that are built for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tekm, one more question.

I see you've done a watercooling mod of the FT02 as well--one of the cleanest I've seen with your "FTEKM02 x99 Edition".

Having done both the FT04 and FT02, which were you happier with when you were done? Are you still using one or both, or have you moved on to another case?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

The FT04 looks like a much better option for watercooling--I wonder why they didn't make the couple of very minor changes (like the plastic filter clips at the bottom) it would have taken to advertise the case as supporting a dual 180mm rad stock. The option of a triple 120mm rad they do advertise seems silly--the 180mm fans are the whole point of the case, at least as far as I'm concerned, if I wanted a triple 120mm I'd go with one of the hundreds of other cases that are built for that.
Yeah, I was surprised that no one really gave this case a shot at watercooling but I agree that Silverstone's poor advertising of its potential capabilities probably didn't help.

Quote:

Tekm, one more question.

I see you've done a watercooling mod of the FT02 as well--one of the cleanest I've seen with your "FTEKM02 x99 Edition".
Thanks! That was my first shot at rigid tubing!

Quote:

Having done both the FT04 and FT02, which were you happier with when you were done? Are you still using one or both, or have you moved on to another case?
Hmm, that's a tough one. Honestly I like each of the builds for different reasons and still actively use both. From an aesthetic and design perspective I think the edge might go the FT02 because I like the general idea of fitting one massive 540mm radiator to cover all cooling needs. The FT04, however, is nice for increased compactness especially since I don't need several 5.25 bays and additional HDD storage bays. I also think the FT04 is better at noise isolation and seems quieter than my FT02. I do prefer filling the loop in the FT02 over the FT04 as the radiator arrangement in the FT04 makes it a bit more difficult. I actually ended up adding a few more quick disconnects in the FT04 to make this process a bit easier.

If I could only live with one of my builds, though, I actually probably would choose my NCASE as it pretty much covers all my needs and is super compact. With much more efficient GPUs, I don't really need SLI/crossfire anymore or the cooling capabilities of my larger builds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts