Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first desktop--I've always been a laptop gamer, and the looming end of college has finally permitted me to make the switch as I'll no longer need a machine to lug to class to take notes on. I'm an avid WoW player, so that'll be its primary purpose, followed by listening to music, writing, and internet surfing, and a little streaming video. I'm going to be learning to animate as well--a friend has offered me Blender lessons in exchange for a bunch of work on her computer. Most parts were ordered Saturday, 9/29/12; a few others were ordered Tuesday, 10/2/12.

Processor: Intel i3770K--Arrived 10/3/12
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme3--Arrived 10/3/12
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600--Arrived 10/3/12
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB--Arrived 10/3/12
Video Card: EVGA NVidia GTX 670 2GB, FTW Edition
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG--Arrived 10/3/12
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker--Arrived 10/3/12
PSU; Seasonic MKII 620 Bronze--Arrived 10/3/12
Optical Drive: Samsung DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VH236H
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90--RMAed, Newegg sent me a K60...and then made me pay the $17 shipping to send it back after a week-and-a-half investigation wherein they required pictures of what I received to verify that my claim was valid. They've not yet told me whether they'll send me the right thing or refund my money--hoping to hear soon on that front...
Mouse: Razer Naga--Already owned and well-loved. Has a nasty tendency to collect every bit of dirt and **** on the sides--but fortunately barely even picks up lint on the bottom, unlike virtually every other mouse I've owned.
Headphones: Sony MCR-ND40--already owned, and kind of falling apart.
Speakers: ...none. My dog "sings along" if I listen to anything, even people talking, without headphones! And her voice is distinctly horrid; she needs a bucket to carry that tune in. So strictly headphones for me.
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (free through school), and either Linux Mint, OpenSUSE, or both! I prefer Linux Mint for personal use, but in school (IT major in Network Infrastructure, "minor" in sysadmin stuff) I've used SUSE Enterprise, as my college seems to be allergic to Red Hat. I've never tried a triple-boot system before, but now with the SSD and the HDD plus the Two Towers (the external drives, one black and one silver, 1TB each), I'm very tempted.

Overall colour theme is white with blue lighting--I fell in love with the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition, but it was unfortunately about $100 beyond budget. This case looks really good, but it's missing the blue lighting. So, my intent is to gradually mod it in via fan replacement and those nifty LED cords. There'll also hopefully be some cable sleeving going on.

Aims: A strictly air-cooled system that doesn't compete with the jets overhead for noise generation, doesn't attract every pet hair, comforter feather, and wandering bit of fluff, and that can't be knocked over by a cat escaping from dogs. Technical goals are to be able to raid in WoW while live-streaming--ideally with Ultra graphics in 25s, on a system that will last as-is for three years and that can be thereafter upgraded piecemeal.

Possible near-future additions:
--A second monitor
--Video capture card
--A DAC for music, keeping the existing sound card for gaming
--Better headphones--I really like the Ultrasone PROlogic 750 and the AKG K701. Christmas is coming!

Packaging for the processor which arrived today was uniquely hideous and wasteful. Pics of the arrived bits tomorrow!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DSC00106.jpg

The arrived components as of 10AM, 10/3/12. Includes my headphones and my Naga.

You see that tiny processor box? That thing shipped in a box that could have held four motherboards, and with very little packing material, just some wadded up paper. The other components came in one box of identical size, packed very tightly and with peanuts--Newegg clearly does better shipping than TigerDirect. The case came separately, shipped exactly as is with no external box. All components have been opened up and checked to make sure there's no physical damage and that they've sent me the right parts; unfortunately, I've already gotten one wrong piece with the keyboard.

Some people have reported colour issues with their Storm Strykers, with the whites not matching between the front and the side panels. I checked mine, however, and it matches perfectly! It's a gorgeous case, and absolutely huge, which is precisely what I wanted. However, I'm starting to be concerned about my being able to move the thing once it's finished, from the planned work area halfway across the house to its permanent location--in the box, it comes nearly to my waist! The handle should help, and I suppose I can use towels under the base and drag it if necessary.

More pics when more parts arrive--I'll do a full shot of all the components in their boxes together, and then for each part individually! I'm hoping to start the actual building process next Tuesday.

·
2 Easy
3,503 Posts
Very nice build and i really love that case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.