Welcome to Gesetzlos, which is German for Lawless. Why did I name it that? Not really sure, a lot of things in this build where made under the influence of alcohol and thusly I do not really remember. I believe it had something to do with my recent acquiring of Lederhosen and the fact I named my other build Unruhig. Either way welcome to this build log. Join me in the joys of making an awesome server and hopefully we both learn something on the way.
- The purpose of this build is primarily to build a server for [email protected]
- The second purpose of this build is to have a server. I am pretty shallow and I have recently concluded that having things is nice, especially when you have more things than someone else. Every party I go to I can make reference to my dual E5-2680s, how I probably have quadruple the number of cores as their laptop, and how I have many, many, many virtual machines running all on one device. At the end of the night, it will also be an easy way to get people back to my place. Simply mentioning the "Awesomeness" of my "beautiful 25U server rack with 4U case" will send them charging into my largely dented, and barely running, four door Accord. I am convinced this is how one wins over the women.
- The third reason is the aforementioned virtual machines. I am currently in an internship at Parallel's. I am consistently thinking to myself "I have no idea what I am doing so I am just going to push buttons and hope this works". On a daily basis I am having to play around with products such as System Center Configuration Manager. Never heard of it? Neither had I. Turns out It sucks yet CIO's think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Playing around and setting up things such as Active Directory at home will be loads of fun for the full family. I am pretty sure I can also turn this into sometype of wooing device. Active Directory is pretty hot and sexy right?
I like low electricity bills and comparable AMD servers are huge power sucks.
Also Intel is more expensive so its kind of like a who do you think I am? Some type of poor person? Pssssh. I should mention this project was done on a college budget so I am broke. Its all about the image though right?
- Processor: 2x Intel E5-2680s QB79[
- Mobo:Supermicro X9DR3-F
- Case/Chassis: ARK IPC
- PSU: Seasonic 850-X
- Memory: 4x G. Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4gb
- Coolers: NH-U9DXi4
- Harddrive: *Temp* old 80gb laptop drive
- Server Rack: Tripp Lite SR4POST25 25U Rack
- Switch: Either TP-LINK TL-SG3210 or D-Link DGS-1024D
I will fill this out soon.
While I know the first phase might not be the most exciting, I hope you will follow along. Feel free to comment as I go and ask any questions you might have. I hope to make interesting build log. I will continue to make posts through the software installation as I feel like this might benefit some people. Finally, I will try to update this as much as I can.
Update one: Mobo in case
Update]http:///t/1430722/build-log-gesetzlos-a-dual-e5-2680-server-build/0_50#post_20930336]Update Two: Misfitting coolers and Proccesors[/URL]