Overclock.net banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

SpyderMS, this is almost exactly the build I'm looking to build! Thank you for all posts.

I wonder if you believe it is possible to run the 7750 without cutting up the side of the chassi. If I understand your testing correctly, you reached risky GPU temperatures while running benchmark software. Did the GPU run tio hot while gaming aswell?
I'd like to be able to play Diablo 3 decently, but it's always nice to avoid modifying the chassi.

Again, thanks for a great thread!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzno View Post

Hi!

SpyderMS, this is almost exactly the build I'm looking to build! Thank you for all posts.

I wonder if you believe it is possible to run the 7750 without cutting up the side of the chassi. If I understand your testing correctly, you reached risky GPU temperatures while running benchmark software. Did the GPU run tio hot while gaming aswell?
I'd like to be able to play Diablo 3 decently, but it's always nice to avoid modifying the chassi.

Again, thanks for a great thread!
Possible, yes, but as you mentioned, the heat would get pretty high. on occasion. I think I was more worried about the sound of the fan really... which was incredibly loud and of high pitch due to the small size of the fan. The card itself will drop it's performance automatically once it gets hot enough, in order to not push the card past it's operating temperature limit, so just keep that in mind... you might be sacrificing performance, as well as having a very loud card, just to keep from cutting a hole. I think once I get around to adding some u-channel modling around the sides of the hole, as well as a better looking shroud, it will actually look pretty decent. I'm saving up for a trip to Europe in March, so those plans are temporarily on hold. Unfortunately I haven't tried Diablo 3 on this setup, or looked into how well it runs on anything similar, so I'm not sure I can comment on how well it would run; but as of now, I have been running quite a few games with everything maxed at 1080p without much issue (I don't mind playing with average FPS in the low 30's or high 20's though either)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMS View Post

Possible, yes, but as you mentioned, the heat would get pretty high. on occasion. I think I was more worried about the sound of the fan really... which was incredibly loud and of high pitch due to the small size of the fan. The card itself will drop it's performance automatically once it gets hot enough, in order to not push the card past it's operating temperature limit, so just keep that in mind... you might be sacrificing performance, as well as having a very loud card, just to keep from cutting a hole. I think once I get around to adding some u-channel modling around the sides of the hole, as well as a better looking shroud, it will actually look pretty decent. I'm saving up for a trip to Europe in March, so those plans are temporarily on hold. Unfortunately I haven't tried Diablo 3 on this setup, or looked into how well it runs on anything similar, so I'm not sure I can comment on how well it would run; but as of now, I have been running quite a few games with everything maxed at 1080p without much issue (I don't mind playing with average FPS in the low 30's or high 20's though either)
Alright, I guess a hole in the side is the way forward then if I want to use a graphics card. Just have to come up with some creative design =)
I probably don't want to stress the components more than necessary anyway. I'm looking for a build that is stable over time.

Is your system still running below 120W? I'm hoping to use the Nano150 PSU adapter, and it maxes out on 150W.
If I add TDPs of the components (MB, Processor, Graphics card, SSD etc.) I end up pretty close to 150W...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzno View Post

Is your system still running below 120W? I'm hoping to use the Nano150 PSU adapter, and it maxes out on 150W.
If I add TDPs of the components (MB, Processor, Graphics card, SSD etc.) I end up pretty close to 150W...
When gaming it has never gone over 100w, usually around the high 90's at most, dropping to the mid 70's when not being stressed as much (but still gaming... mid 30's at idle). I hit 141w once when running both Prime95 on all four cores, as well as MSI Kombustor; but in real life scenarios you would probably never see that, so 150w would probably work no problem, but keep in mind the PSU is not 100% efficient, so I'm not certain it would provide the full 150w. Also, if you are using exactly the same components, the totals add up to well over 150w. TDP of the i5-3570k is 77w, TDP of the Radeon 7750 is 75w (some places it is mentioned as 55w, but I believe this is only when Power Control is set to -20%, I'm not certain....). But again, even stressing components 100%, I have never seen over 141w. Anandtech also recently did a review of the FC10 using an i3-3225 and a passive 7750. Obviously there is a 20w difference between the i3-3225 and the i5-3570k, but keeping that in mind, their system never went beyond 75w or so with Prime95 and Furmark at full load.

Also a word of warning, cyberspyder bought his PSU from Streacom/PerfectHomeTheater, and had major problems with it, as seen in his post here. I ordered my PSU from mini-box.com, prior to seeing the post about the Nano150, just because i was looking for more power. Even if you ended up having similar issues though, a replacement power brick would not be difficult, nor expensive to obtain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Spyder, just a quick tip:
I'm about to buy FC8 Evo, but I need Asus p8z77-i deluxe as motherboard (for hackintosh). Now, as you can easily check, that motherboard has a particular cpu placement, and has a particular DIGI+VRAM sort of "vertical piece".
That said, I'm asking you: in your opinion, do the heatpipes allow some particular bends? Do you think I'll be able to fit this mobo in FC8?
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomoleopardo View Post

Hi Spyder, just a quick tip:
I'm about to buy FC8 Evo, but I need Asus p8z77-i deluxe as motherboard (for hackintosh). Now, as you can easily check, that motherboard has a particular cpu placement, and has a particular DIGI+VRAM sort of "vertical piece".
That said, I'm asking you: in your opinion, do the heatpipes allow some particular bends? Do you think I'll be able to fit this mobo in FC8?
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
I think the VRM board is just a bit too high for this particular case. You can see in xbmcfan's post his pipes barely clear his PicoPSU, which I think might be a little shorter than the VRM board on the ASUS. Because the CPU socket on the ASUS is closer to the wall of the case, you would have to make some pretty extreme bends as well. That doesn't mean it is impossible to use this case with bent pipes... but it would be quite an expensive risk to take, and I would recommend you use some type of pipe bending tool, such as this one on Amazon. If you bend the pipes using pliers or something else, you risk damaging the inside of the pipe. I used pliers for mine, but I only made very, very minor bends.

The FC9 and FC10 have higher mounts that can be used in conjunction with a riser. Anandtech actually did this using the exact board you are looking to use. Even then it looks to have barely cleared the VRM board (although the pipes for the FC9/10 have much less of an angle on them than the FC8 pipes). This is obviously a much more expensive solution... although it would allow the use of a dual-slot passive videocard (as Anandtech did).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I missed anandtech review, and you gave me a piece of very useful information! I have to think about it seriously.
Anyway I'll post results as soon as I can get to a working solution.
Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

·
CYRUS + KEF + LG OLED....
1,423 Posts
Why would you use that Asus board for a 55W CPU when numerous cheaper options are available ?

dunx

·
8.2 liters
5,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002dunx View Post

Why would you use that Asus board for a 55W CPU when numerous cheaper options are available ?
If you're talking about the Anandtech review, they wanted that motherboard for the HTPC features. Ian Cutress had the board anyway for the mITX round-up review. His reason for not using a K chip are pretty poor. It seemed to be based on a review of the Origin Chronos by Dustin Sklavos who saw temps of 93C on an overclocked i5-3570K. This leads him (Ian) to conclude: "While one of the features of the Z77 platform over H77 is overclocking, this is a little at odds with the mITX premise. Small form factor scenarios do not often react well with heat, especially paired with inadequate cooling or large heat producing GPUs." I think the word noob applies here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002dunx View Post

dunx
Long story! i'm looking for displayport (or minidisplayport) onboard, but my machine has to be an hackintosh and don't want/need discrete graphic card. Zotac z77 itx was my primary choice, take a look here if you want, it turned out they claim to have a mini displayPort fully functional on that board, but IT'S NOT TRUE! Pluggin my 27 inches Apple Cinema Display (the non-thunderbolt one) gave me zero results! Since asus p8z77i deluxe is a great mobo, and it's greatly supported in hackintosh community I decided to give it a shot.
Now, that machine I built is running with a low profile nVidia quadro NVS 295 in a Streacom fc7 evo case, and I will use in my studio with a 1080p Samsung via hdmi and it's fine by me, but my new rig has to be completely silent and no need of gpu. So here I am!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome build. Interesting SFF builds are always fun to read/watch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
System keeps around 37-40C idle, and up to 60-62C when running Guild Wars 2 at medium settings.
The pipe bender used wasn't right for the diameter of the pipes, so they did get flattened a bit.
Do get one that fits the heatpipe diameter exactly for better results.

Using:
Streacom FC8B EVO
ST-FC8B EVO

Streacom NANO150 PSU Adapter
ST-NANO150

Streacom SC30 USB3.0 Internal Cable
ST-SC30

Streacom ST-OB2 DVD±RW/Blu-Ray Reader
ST-OB2

Intel® SSD 520 Series 120GB 2.5"
SSDSC2CW120A310

ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD, Socket-1155
P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD

Intel® Core i7-3770S Processor - Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 8MB, 65W, HD4000, Boxed w/fan
BX80637I73770S

Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB - 2400MHz 2x8GB KIT CL11 HyperX Beast
KHX24C11T3K2/16X

Noctua NT-H1

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

001.JPG 127k .JPG file

002.JPG 91k .JPG file

003.JPG 91k .JPG file

004.JPG 108k .JPG file

005.JPG 82k .JPG file

006.JPG 82k .JPG file

007.JPG 75k .JPG file

008.JPG 75k .JPG file

009.JPG 63k .JPG file

010.JPG 121k .JPG file

011.JPG 114k .JPG file

012.JPG 75k .JPG file

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoInc View Post

Using:
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD, Socket-1155
WOW, that is a hell of a job with those pipes. I was scared just to bend mine even slightly (though was doing it without a pipe bender). That definitely takes some balls. Nice first post
tongue.gif

Can I ask; why would you choose this board for this case. I'm assuming you could see that there would be a problem with the daughterboard?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing that vertigo!

I have a similar spec but in a silverstone sg05 which is a noisy rattletrap trashcan.

Ordering the Streacom today!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi spyderms
i'm italian
sorry for my english . I want to buy this case streacom f1c or f7c for my mini pc with i3-3225 mobo gigabyte and i think for hd 7750 but i have fear for temperature.....
if ia not put hd 7750 i think that is best f1c....what do you advise me?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragok View Post

hi spyderms
i'm italian
sorry for my english . I want to buy this case streacom f1c or f7c for my mini pc with i3-3225 mobo gigabyte and i think for hd 7750 but i have fear for temperature.....
if ia not put hd 7750 i think that is best f1c....what do you advise me?
I sent this in reply to your PM as well, but I'm also including it here in case anyone else who is interested comes across it.

You would need the F7C in order to fit an HD 7750. It is the same case as my FC8, but without the heat pipes. I also see that the FC7 EVO has ventilation built into the side where your graphics card will be. With that in mind, and the fact that you will also be able to have a case fan on the opposite side near the back, and the CPU fan creating air movement inside the case, you will have a much better cooling situation than I did in my FC8 EVO. I think it will work out great.

If you do decide to go without the 7750, then the F1C will be a great case as well. If you play games though, then I highly recommend getting the F7C and the Radeon 7750. There is quite a bit of graphics power in the 7750 and I don't think you will have any problems with it in the F7C. Good luck
smile.gif

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragok View Post

thank you...the fan of card coincides with the lateral hole?
It does not, unfortunately... but honestly I would go for it anyways. In the worst case scenario, you could build a shroud inside the case that would help direct air from the ventilation area to the fan itself. Even without the shroud though, the card will work no problem, it just might get somewhat loud during heavy gaming. You shouldn't hear it at all when watching movies or just browsing the internet though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

You can see my graphics card here. The positioning of the fan is basically exactly in the center of the case. Keeping that in mind, this is a close representation of where the fan is in relation to the hole in the FC7 EVO case. Keep in mind this is not exact... only an estimate.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts