Overclock.net banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
you're right ... but why make that hole so wrong in the case?

you think that if i put this vga in the case is ok or i must do a hole so you have done?

if i use the itek diamond7?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to make a Haswell build using the FC8 Evo case.

It appears that the following motherboards are incompatible due to the CPU socket being in the top half of the board:

ASRock Z87E-ITX
ASUS Z87-ITX
EVGA Z87 Stinger

However I have found two boards where the CPU is located in the bottom half of the board:

Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi
MSI Z87I

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me take a look at the layout of these two motherboards and confirm whether they would likely be compatible? I am particularly interested in the Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi as it is already in stock locally.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragok View Post

you're right ... but why make that hole so wrong in the case?

you think that if i put this vga in the case is ok or i must do a hole so you have done?

if i use the itek diamond7?
The hole is probably for an 80mm fan, similar to the one in the opposite corner/side. It would help provide front-to-back airflow in the case.

I absolutely think the card will be fine in the case. Even when I didn't have my hole drilled, the card had no problems. It would get hot, sure... but more importantly it was loud. If it was only getting hot, and not so loud, I probably would've been fine with not drilling the hole.

The Itek Diamond 7 case looks pretty good, and it's VGA cooling solution is considerably more ideal. You could probably even fit a two-slot card in there, which means you would have a larger range of choices to choose room, possibly even a passive card like this one from HIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meph365 View Post

I am looking to make a Haswell build using the FC8 Evo case.

It appears that the following motherboards are incompatible due to the CPU socket being in the top half of the board:

ASRock Z87E-ITX
ASUS Z87-ITX
EVGA Z87 Stinger

However I have found two boards where the CPU is located in the bottom half of the board:

Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi
MSI Z87I

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me take a look at the layout of these two motherboards and confirm whether they would likely be compatible? I am particularly interested in the Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi as it is already in stock locally.
I mocked up an image to show you how the Gigabyte might look in this case. It appears like it would work very well.. possibly a better fit than my ASRock Z77E-ITX even. The only thing I 'might be concerned about is the placement of the 24-pin power connector. If the pico-PSU is too high to where it touches the heatpipes, you might need to get an extension cable to move it out of the way.

You are correct in thinking that the other boards would not work because of socket placement. The heatpipes are simply too long to support the socket so close to the wall like that. I suppose some creative (and extremely careful) bending of the pipes might allow them to work, but you would have to really want one of those boards... and/or really want passive cooling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMS View Post

The hole is probably for an 80mm fan, similar to the one in the opposite corner/side. It would help provide front-to-back airflow in the case.

I absolutely think the card will be fine in the case. Even when I didn't have my hole drilled, the card had no problems. It would get hot, sure... but more importantly it was loud. If it was only getting hot, and not so loud, I probably would've been fine with not drilling the hole.

The Itek Diamond 7 case looks pretty good, and it's VGA cooling solution is considerably more ideal. You could probably even fit a two-slot card in there, which means you would have a larger range of choices to choose room, possibly even a passive card like this one from HIS.
I mocked up an image to show you how the Gigabyte might look in this case. It appears like it would work very well.. possibly a better fit than my ASRock Z77E-ITX even. The only thing I 'might be concerned about is the placement of the 24-pin power connector. If the pico-PSU is too high to where it touches the heatpipes, you might need to get an extension cable to move it out of the way.

You are correct in thinking that the other boards would not work because of socket placement. The heatpipes are simply too long to support the socket so close to the wall like that. I suppose some creative (and extremely careful) bending of the pipes might allow them to work, but you would have to really want one of those boards... and/or really want passive cooling.
diamond is better than f7c?

http://www.xtremehardware.com/recensioni/case-e-modding/itek-diamond-5-e-7-mini-itx-di-lusso-201210267732/?start=4

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Quote:
I can't speak from experience, but it is obvious to me that it has more room for the cooler, an better ventilation. Whether or not it as the build quality of the Streacom/Wesena cases, or the feature set, I have no idea. I think you are wanting me to give you concrete answers, but since your situation is not identical to mine, it would be impossible for me to do so. Unfortunately there is always some measure of risk when building your own computers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

I can't speak from experience, but it is obvious to me that it has more room for the cooler, an better ventilation. Whether or not it as the build quality of the Streacom/Wesena cases, or the feature set, I have no idea. I think you are wanting me to give you concrete answers, but since your situation is not identical to mine, it would be impossible for me to do so. Unfortunately there is always some measure of risk when building your own computers.
the diamond have more space?

in this image i can see that the diamond is porr space respect f7c?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Quote:

the diamond have more space?

in this image i can see that the diamond is porr space respect f7c?
Going by dimensions, the F7C is a larger case

Streacom F7C: 240 x 250 x 100mm (W x D x H)
Diamond 7: 245 x 165 x 95mm (W x D x H)

The Diamond is a little wider though, which is why there is room for a two slot VGA card, but it is not quite as deep. That shouldn't be an issue though, it has plenty of room for all components.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all. The diamond7 is large 23, 5 cm not 16, 5.
Someone told me that the f7c that is way batter in costructive quality.
But i've never seen them live, the diamond with his holes is cooler, the f7c seems to have spaces better organized.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Quote:

Thanks for all. The diamond7 is large 23, 5 cm not 16, 5.
Someone told me that the f7c that is way batter in costructive quality.
But i've never seen them live, the diamond with his holes is cooler, the f7c seems to have spaces better organized.
I think you missed the first part of the measurement I put on there, which was 245mm. I pulled the dimensions directly from the link you gave me.

The build quality of the Streacom cases is definitely top notch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

I think you missed the first part of the measurement I put on there, which was 245mm. I pulled the dimensions directly from the link you gave me.

The build quality of the Streacom cases is definitely top notch.
yes http://www.ncube.it/

the correct misure is 95mm(H)x236mm(D)x245mm(W)

is more or less as f7c.... you waht prefer f7c or diamond7 for quality and space and cooler?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi SpyderMS

I am digging up this thread as I am currently working on the same configuration - VERY interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how you made the blowhole for your HD 7750 gpu fan. Did you use a dremel, a hole saw or else? I've never modded a case and I don't want to mess with my case
wink.gif

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Howdy, I actually had a friend do it for me. He had a drill press, so it was fairly easy. You could probably use a Dremel as well, especially if you have the Rotary Tool Workstation for it to keep it steady. If I could do it over again though, I would have marked the correct spot for where the fan would be better. I just used some general measurements to get a rough idea where the center was; and it was very close, but ideally you would want the fan shroud to cover the fan perfectly, and maybe want the hole itself 1/4" or so larger than the diameter of the fan on the card to have some wiggle/breathing room.

Also, I ended up taking off the heatpipes entirely, and sticking with the stock cooler. The heatpipes continually caused the computer to crash, my assumption being that they were simply too close to the northbridge heatsink on my Asrock Z77-ITX. If you're not going with the same board though, you may not have the same issues; but in the end, I paid a premium for a case that I can't use the defining feature of. I will likely be moving everything into a Lone Industries L2 case in November, when my preorder will be available.

An additional note, the GeForce GTX 750 and 750 TI are both roughly double the performance of the Radeon 7750, and use about the same amount of energy. It would be wise to consider waiting for a single slot version of that card if you are planning to use this for gaming. You might be able to modify one of the existing Low Profile 750's for use in a single slot case. The Galaxy GTX 750 TI takes up a single slot, but has a dual slot cooler. This would be the easiest to modify since you could just replace it with your own cooler, or modify the existing one, if that's even necessary. There is some room between the case wall and the low profile Sapphire Radeon 7750, so perhaps it might fit without modification, but I ended up buying the Gigabyte GTX 750 TI, which is dual slot, and would require extensive modification in order to fit. I'm currently using a 90 degree PCI-E Riser card to ghetto rig it in my case (top removed) until the L2 arrives. The difference in performance is phenomenal.

Old dusty Radeon 7750

Side-by-Side

PCI-E riser card

'Top' down view

View from the 'bottom' of the case
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfday View Post

Hi SpyderMS

I am digging up this thread as I am currently working on the same configuration - VERY interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how you made the blowhole for your HD 7750 gpu fan. Did you use a dremel, a hole saw or else? I've never modded a case and I don't want to mess with my case
wink.gif

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you so much for this very detailed feedback.
I will definitely have a look at the Dremel workstation - might fits my needs. I still don't know If I will go with your solution (blowhole + fan grill or duckt) or drill only some holes like a XBMC forum member did: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136350

I don't have any heatpipes issue as I am using a DH77DF Intel motherboard + Core i3 3225

I read the reviews of the GTX 750 and I must say that they are really impressive. The thing is that I am more a casual gamer than a hardcore one and I managed to get a refurbished 7750 for less than $50... Might reconsider when a true LP single slot gtx 750 will come out though
wink.gif

81 - 96 of 96 Posts