1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updates
Post 4 - Apr 4 2013 - Initial Box
Post 23 - Apr 10 2013 - Hail!
Post 28 - Apr 11 2013 - NZXT Tempest 210 (Temp Case)
Post 33 - Apr 11 2013 - Lutro0 Sleeving supplies
Post 57 - Apr 19 2013 - 3dMark 2011 Solo 7970, Xfire & 1ghz
Post 59 - Apr 21 2013 - Xfire!
Post 63 - Apr 24 2013 - Mountain Mods H2Go Unboxing & Special OCN Treat
thumb.gif

Post 79 - May 4 2013 - Sleeving sucks!

January 2013 Ultimate Rig
What a great forum! I remember for the 2012 drawing, spending a week or more piecing together everything I would ever want, then being mildly disappointed when I was one of the thousands not picked lol. Everyone enters just about every contest on OCN hoping for the best. When I entered the 2013 Ultimate Rig contest expecting it to be a one time drawing, I thought the odds were going to be insane by the time of the drawing. I told myself, "You can only win if you enter", spent some more time and gathered up what I thought would be a great upgrade to my i5 2500k system.

Two weeks later, I nearly forgot about the contest. I made a comment in the BOINC forums about hoping to win, not knowing I had won hours earlier, it sparked my mind and went to look at the thread. Holy I won! I think I did laps around the house and even intentionally woke up my sleeping gf to take a breather and figure out what just happened! lol

That shock turned into disappointment/anxiety after having several troubles trying to get the ball rolling. Once the issues were resolved, the parts were ordered and on their way! What a relief
biggrin.gif

Thank you Admin! Thank you Chipp! Thank you Enterprise! Thank you all of OCN! Best of luck to everyone else for the rest of the year
thumb.gif

Anyway, here are the goods.

[please note that this build will go on over the next several weeks as parts become available]

Initial Parts List
  • Case - MountainMods H2Go w/ special treat
  • Power - Seasonic Gold x850
  • CPU - Intel i7 3930k
  • Mobo - Asus Rampage IV Gene
  • Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 16gb
  • GPUs - 2x Diamond 7970
  • SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
Water Cooling Plan
Being so indecisive is a pain when putting together new builds. This rig will be water cooled with Heatkiller blocks. I'm just not yet certain if I will cannibalize my i5 rig, my BOINCER or both.
Here is what I'm thinking so far
  • CPU - Heatkiller 3.0 Copper (from i5 rig)
  • GPUs - Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0
  • Connector - Heatkiller GPU-X² Dual Link (from i5 rig)
  • Rads - 2x XSPC EX240 (maybe from BOINCer)
  • Pump - Swiftech 355
  • Tubing - Primoflex Red or Clear w/ Mayhem Aurora, undecided
  • Reservoir - 150 or 250ml horizontally mounted tube
  • Fittings - Bitspower Black Compressions 3/8 x 5/8 or Monsoon Black or Red

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Placed an order for a Heatkiller 2011 conversion kit and a temporary heatsink fan to use on the CPU. The case is on order and getting a custom piece made. Also waiting for 7970 Heatkiller blocks to get back in stock at FrozenCPU, Performance-pcs or Sidewinder! I'd rather not spend the $30 of fees to order from Aquatuning
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pics!

My first Asus board. Rampage IV Gene
thumb.gif

01-Rampage.jpg

02-Rampage.jpg

Stepping up with the big boys. i7 3930k! This may be replaced in a few months when the Ivy-E is released.
03-3930k.jpg

04-3930k.jpg

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb. I hope this is as fast as the reviews say
biggrin.gif

05-840Pro.jpg

16gb G.Skill 1866 memories
thumb.gif

06-G.Skill.jpg

Xfire Diamond 7970. Should be a decent upgrade over the SLI 570s
07-7970.jpg

Seasonic X-850. Having second thoughts. Thankfully they did update their cabling from when I ordered the Platinum 860. They still have a stupid double wire or two on the 24-pin and will make sleeving a pain. Might return/resel for a Corsair AX850.
08-x850.jpg

·
Registered
702 Posts
That first bundle of goodies, the excitement of opening them, then seeing you have everything there.. Just you know, the blocks and such you actually need before you can power it on and use it.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, congratulations again Angrybutcher, may the best 3930k / 7970 build win
thumb.gif

(A little jealous of the motherboard still, but what can I do, UK pricing is so lovely at times
redface.gif
)

/subbed/

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah I know but I find it a bit short. I have the same set up with 2 bumps draw a constant 1050W, I have a Seasonic 1250W btw.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What is the full setup of your rig, because 1050W constant draw on your PSU sounds excessively high.
Would also be helpful and would save you a lot of time if you filled out your rig information here and linked it to your signature too ^^;
Rigbuilder; http://www.overclock.net/lists/component/manage/type/RIG

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is work in progress. Updated my rig, I have few lights and couple HHDs, 1 bumps, and 12 corsair fans, and an audio card.

Edit: By all mean I know Seasonic 850W is very good PSU, and quite capable of handling 2x 7970. I think it wont give you enough overhead that's all.
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We'll see how the 850 runs. I'm fully able to run three 5870's on a Seasonic Platinum 860, though the CPU is mostly idle. I do have power monitoring on my UPS, so if I creep up near 900 Watts from the wall at any given time, then I know the 850 is "not enough". Most of the time I'm just gaming. When I crunch for BOINC, I typically only do so on the GPUs. The upcoming BOINC Pentathlon will stress test the entire rig though
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
I don't like MM cases, but this should be an interesting build! Subbed
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer the clean lines of the CaseLabs cases, but they really don't have anything that compares to the H2Go or the UFO. Their M5 looks great, but still a bit big for an mATX case imo and also doesn't easily support dual 240mm radiators.

I originally was going to go with the UFO but then the number or radiators and fans I would put in that thing shy'd me away lol.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts

·
Overclocker
1,743 Posts
You should have more than enough power plus headroom with overclocking. It's a high quality (GOLD) PSU and I'm sure it can pull more than it's rated.

Anyway, congrats Angrybutcher. Looks like an Epic build.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 112 Posts