Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi OCers,

I've been a passive reader for several years now and believe it or not, only recently registered to contribute as my current hangout (a dutch version of overclock.net) is becoming less active for the more hardcore cooling and modding.
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm going to try to post some updates on my current project that has been going for a while.

Currently I'm still running a [email protected] on EK liquid parts and it's still going strong, however my motherboard is becoming more and more unstable and once I buy parts, I know I don't have the patience to complete a project so I purchased my case in advance.

I've chosen for a PC-09 from Lian-Li as seen in the 'Compensator 2.0 video' by Linustechtips as I thought it was an amazing looking case with lot's of space.

I chose the red version as I always had black cases in the past.

First things first, what's the hardware?

Hardware List
  • Threadripper 1950X
  • Asus Zenith Extreme
  • 2 x Asus 1080ti Strix OC
  • Memory not chosen yet, still looking for 8 x 8 Gb
  • Corsair AX1200i PSU
  • 2 x Samsung 960 1Tb EVO M2

For the cooling, I'm sticking to EK as I've always been very pleased with their products although I'm actually a bit sceptical on their Supremacy for the TR4 socket. We'll see what happens. This might be swapped in the near future for another brand or their upcomiong monoblock. The case is supposed to hold 2 radiators however the hard disk bracket in the back holds 2 120mm fans so I've taken use of that to modify the bracket so it can hold another 240mm rad. Everything will be controlled and monitored by an Aquaero 6 LT.

Cooling List
  • 2 x EK Elite DCC Res/Pump 140 (one upgraded with 250 tube)
  • 2 x EK Full Cover 1080 Ti Strix with black backplate
  • EK FC Terminal parallel
  • EK Supremacy TR4 Black
  • EK XE360 Radiator
  • EK XE240 Radiator
  • EK SE360 Radiator (I could fit a PE360, which I also have but it would ruin the look and I still have plenty of cooling capacity so should be fine)
  • About 9450358 different EK fittings
    biggrin.gif
  • 2 Fill/Draint ports
  • 12 X Corsair ML120 fans
  • Aquaero 6 LT
  • Ton of sensors for the Aquaero including flow and several temp sensors

I have some pictures in terrible quality but I will provide better quality pics the moment I start the 'actual' build which will be somewhere next week.

I've installed the XE360 vertically and the SE360 on top. I've chosen to use red LED ML120 fans. I think the illumination will look nice, specially with the tempered glass. I was in dubio about chosing perhaps the white LED fans, however with the red accents of the PC-O9 case, I think it is the right choice to go for red.

Obviously I will be using all red hard tube fittings. This is also my first hard tube build so I'm curious how this is going to turn out.

The pump in the front is easy to mount with the pre-drilled holes however the cables are very colourfull and would not look great inside the visible part of the case.

I decided to give sleeving a go and I know it was going to cause headaches as I have ZERO experience with this and this isn't the kind of work I'm cut out for. (Know your weaknesses
    tongue.gif
    )

Bought some tools like a pin remover and started the fiddling.

And then sleeve goes round and there we go. An average result for the first sleeve.

The only issue I'm having is where the cables come out of the pump enclosure.
    There's 4 cables horizontally and cable 1 and 4 need to be in the same sleeve, not allowing me to shrink the sleeve exactly against the pump which is too bad. Tips are welcome here?
    However this shouldn't be visible at all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoytekBE View Post

The only issue I'm having is where the cables come out of the pump enclosure.
There's 4 cables horizontally and cable 1 and 4 need to be in the same sleeve, not allowing me to shrink the sleeve exactly against the pump which is too bad. Tips are welcome here?
However this shouldn't be visible at all.
Should be an exciting build! I would use one piece of heat shrink over both sets of sleeved cables assuming you are sleeving both sets of two. Should sandwich them together no problem. Looking forward to more pics
thumb.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aquaero 6 LT

I really liked the idea of a fully independant and programmable FAN controller.
As I don't have any drive bays and I don't really care about a display, I purchased the LT version. Same functionality but without the display.

Then I found out that you have a cooling backplate and an optional 'waterblock'
biggrin.gif

I know it is completely useless to do so as it won't get that hot with only 12 PWM fans, however we're in a 'because I can' mood so click, click in the webstore and the package was on its way.
biggrin.gif

The color of the backplate also matched the build so it was a no brainer.

Full assembled and it looks pretty good I must say.
thumb.gif

Next step, add (red, offcourse) fittings!

And testing on my current setup with a simple setup. Just figuring out how the Aquasuite works and what it can do.
The software is a bit trial and error for me as I find the documentation to be very scarse, however fiddling is fun so it's only a matter of time before I get my own template configured the way I want it.

Would be nice if I could include the readouts on my desktop with something like rainmeter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More is better...

Since I'm overhauling my rig and building something completely new, it was time to switch my current monitors.

I purchased an Asus PG279Q and since they only had one in stock I had to wait to pick up the other two.
It is finally time to retire my old DVI IIYAMA monitors as they don't even have display port or HDMI and let's just say the colors weren't as good as they used to be hehe.

The trade-off will be that I used 3 monitors with 1 widescreen on top and now I'll only have 3 monitors but it'll do. Guess I'll have to put netflix on another monitor instead of the top one.

Same thing goes for GPU's... more is better... well, atleast better looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is one good build.

Can I ask you if the Zenith fits in the PC-O9 with the fans and radiator installed on the motherboard side, so the SATA ports are usable.

I am preparing a similar build for my LAN party WoW weekends, so I am researching 4/5x Vega 64, TH 1950X, Zenith/Aourus, Lian li pc-o9, 128GB DDR4, EKWB custom cooling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremator View Post

That is one good build.

Can I ask you if the Zenith fits in the PC-O9 with the fans and radiator installed on the motherboard side, so the SATA ports are usable.

I am preparing a similar build for my LAN party WoW weekends, so I am researching 4/5x Vega 64, TH 1950X, Zenith/Aourus, Lian li pc-o9, 128GB DDR4, EKWB custom cooling.
It fits alright!

More info below here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's been a while since I've posted an update.

Been really busy the last couple of weeks but once again made some progress!

Waterblocks arrived!

So I finally received the Supremacy EVO TR4, some additional fittings and full GPU blocks for my 1080ti Strix cards.

Although it looks really good, I'm a bit concerned when comparing them to other water blocks. It is true that the 'cold plate' is the size of the heatspreader of the 1950X, however the block on top doesn't cover it completely so I don't think this is going to be the best delivering block out there which is a shame. I've been a HUGE EK fan but I think they dropped the ball on this one.

Next week the full zenith monoblock is coming out so I might purchase that one instead. Still considering the Heatkiller block aswell as it looks way more purpose built for Threadripper. I think EK just rushed to have a TR4 block out ASAP and I think that will cost them some fan credits, including mine.

Let's wait and see how they did on the monoblock.

First things first, talked to the girlfriend, apologized in advance for all the mess I would be making and we were off.
biggrin.gif

Fill Port

I don't have much pictures of the assembly but this is pretty straight forward. I have a dual pump setup, one in the visible front of the case and one in the back part.

Since it looked pretty handy, I decided to install a fill port, directly connected to the top of the bigger reservoir in the back of the case and connect it using soft tubing.

The EK fill port is painted in the exact same type of black 'sanded' kinda color so it looks like it was there by design.

Radiator mounting

The top and 'vertical' radiator are quite easy to mount as they have pre-drilled holes for them.
I did swap the top radiator, which initially was a PE360 for the slim edition, the SE360 because I didn't want the fans hanging over the motherboard for esthetic purposes.

I should have enough heat dissipation already and since I was already planning to install a thirth radiator, it seemed unnecessairy aswel.

Since I'm storing most of my work related data on a 8-drive NAS and I don't really need any optical drives, I decided to use the 3,5 bracket, which is equipped for two 120mm fans as the radiator mount. I would only need to do some minor modifications to make this happen.

I'm going to use 3 m2 drives on the Zenith board so there was no need for the cage anyway since I won't be running optical drives.

Time to get the powertools out. (keep in mind, I'm very clumsy with powertools so it's always exciting for me to handle one of them
tongue.gif
)

First thing I did was saw of 'the cage' and then sanded down the edges so I could fit the radiator properly.

Since I had a lot of room where the cage used to be, I decided to make that a push/pull configuration on an EK XE240 radiator, as they're pretty restrictive with the bigger depth.

Mounted it and then I noticed when fitting the powersupply the bottom of the radiator was a bit too low, so drilled 4 extra holes for the thumbscrews on the back, just a bit higher so the radiator could be mounted with minimal clearance over the power supply and voila, it is done.

Getting the loop from the front to the back

I spent a lot of time thinking what the cleanest way would be to connect the front with the back as there is a lot of tubing going on.
Just running the tubes through the 3 big cable management area's wasn't an option as the Zenith bord is too big anyway and it covers up these holes.

Then I figured, why not drill and place fittings below the motherboard, so I got busy.

There are 2 small plates that can be removed and that have a big passthrough hole behind it, so it was just a matter of alligning the fittings properly and I could drill holes without drilling in the case directly, which was perfect.

Installed hard tube fittings in the front and voila, it looks and fits perfect!
thumb.gif

I still need to figure out which angles I'm going to use on the back side and these are just fitted for showing purposes but you get the point.

It will depend on the final order of the loop how I'm going to connect it exactly.

Mounting the Aquaero

Since I was in a 'why the hell not' mood and mounted a waterblock on the Aquaero, I needed to pick a a decent spot on where to put it inside the case that is was accessable without forcing the loop to make any weird turns or making it extra tricky for installing/maintenance of the tubing.

My first idea was to make some kind of bracket and mount it on the vertical radiator using the fan screw holes in the radiator.

This was a temp fit without bracket but I didn't really like the placement so I decided on hard mounting it to the case drilling holes in the motherbord mounting tray. Since the motherboard would be installed over the screws on the front you would never even notice it when looking at the case.

Perfect spot!

Got to drilling et voilà!

After that it was just a matter of installing the motherboard and see if everything was looking ok.

Installing LED strips and giving it a quick testrun to see how it looks

So I was too excited to see how it would look so I installed the motherboard and the LED strips.

The Lian-Li PC-O9 is an amazing looking case and comes delivered with 3 RGB LED strips but you need to choose a static color if you're using the included RGB controller. For me that's fine, as I would be using the controller just for the sole purpose of illuminating the case with a static light in a color of my choice.

It works very simple and does it well. 3 Rotary knobs, one for green, one for red and one for blue.
Turn untill you get the desired color and done.

The cool thing is, the RGB controller is powered using a sata connector! You guys might not think that's cool but I personally was impressed and thought that it was a great idea by Lian-Li. Specially cause it is right next to the PSU mounting area.

Installed the PSU and used a jumper that I had laying around to see what it would look like.

Got cables?

And then the moment of turning on the PSU.

I also powered up some of the fans to see what the combination of the LED strips and the fans would look like.

What's next:
  • Cable management
  • Completing first part of the tubing
  • Installing CPU and GPU blocks
So far I'm super pleased the way it is turning out.

I'll try to get more updates soon!

Sorry for the crappy english and terrible pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleox64 View Post

How thick of a radiator can you fit at th bottom before hitting the motherboard?
It doesn't really have a mounting spot for a radiator on the bottom, however if you drill holes you could mount one. I would go any thicker than 45mm or you will have it standin' in front of the mobo.
I can measure when I get home
smile.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts

I'm going to be installing the 5.25" drive bays at the bottom as I did with my corsair air 540, plus some heat sinks on top. 60-70mm of clearance would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts