Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am going to be redoing my build moving from the standard PC-O11 to the ROG version of the case, the PC-O11WGX.
As I go I will be posting lots of pictures and comparing and contrasting the two cases.
I will be installing 3 X 360mm radiators and I will be watercooling the CPU and GPU. Is this overkill? Yes it is...!
biggrin.gif

Already I know that I will have to do some custom stuff to get all three radiators to fit within the case, but I want to be able to do that without any major case modifications.

I will be reusing my vertical GPU mount for this case. This will enable me to place my GPU vertically even though I have a radiator mounted on the bottom of the case. I have a short write up here:
Custom Vertical GPU mount Lian-Li PC-O11

I am going to be sticking with the EK ZMT tubing, because right now I don't think I'm ready to go for hard tubing. This is really only my second watercooling build, with my first being the standard PC-O11 case.

I don't think there is another case out there, that with very little modification, can fit 3, 360mm radiators, in such a small footprint. I think, with this case, there is very little wasted space.

Also, I want to thank @labjet, he helped me figure out some pieces in my build and was a good sounding board for ideas. Thanks a lot!

My component list remains largely the same:
Water Cooling:
-2 X EK Coolstream PE 360mm radiators
-1 X EK Coolstream SE 360mm radiator
-EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block
-EK 1080ti FE waterblock
-EK DDC pump with plexi top (May switch to D5 combo unit)
-EK Res X3 150 (May switch to D5 combo unit)
-EK fittings
-ZMT soft tubing
Case: Lian-Li PC-O11WGX ROG Edition
Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Maximus IX Code
CPU: 7700K Kaby Lake - (Delided & O/C 4.9GHz)
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600
GPU: 1080ti
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0"

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and please offer suggestions, as I am still learning.

Thanks everyone!
-Jsunn

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have mocked up my plan for the side panel, the radiator, and fans. One of the pieces that will have to be overcome, is how to fit a side radiator and a bottom radiator. In addition, how much do the front panel connectors interfere with the side radiator and fans.
The images below show a view from the back of the case looking through the front of the case, the Motherboard is on the right side of the image, and the PSU side is on the left.

I used a very high tech CAD program known as MS Paint to draw it out.
All of the distances and lengths are proportional.

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,
I think I'm going to go with the D5 pump reservoir combo unit from EK and sell my DDC and separate reservoir. I think it will be a lot cleaner at the end of the day, but I'll have to wait until I get the case and start to mock up some of the assemblies.
The parts are ordered and should start arriving on Monday.

I really wish I had the engineering drawings of the case for measurements, there is only so much planning you can do without actual measurements.

-J

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've also received the slim radiator for the top, my fan spacers for the side radiator so I am going to start mocking up the side assembly.
I think this is going to be a little tricky. I'll try to explain what I'm going to attempt as I go. But essentially, I need to make space for the front panel cables.

This is the biggest challenge to getting 3 360 rads in the case. This picture is from Lian Li and shows the space constraint.

My idea was to create a pass through for the cables while still being able to mount a radiator and fans on the back side of the mobo tray.

I'll need to cut into one of the spacers for the cables, but I think it should work. I got the spacers here:Feser Xtender 120mm Radiator Shroud

They are 31mm thick and should be the perfect thickness to get us past the front panel cables.

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And snag number 1...
The corsair fans are about 3mm thicker than a 25mm thick fan, they have rubber pads to help absorb vibrations, so this makes the spacers just a little too thick.

Edit: the little rubber pads are just stickers. I peeled the off and now the spacers should work. But it will be tight. I want to put a grill guard on them that I am getting custom made. I'll have to wait until it come before I will know if this will work.

I did have an old fan lying around, and I measured the thickness, and it looks like I can cannibalize some old fans to make 25mm spacers. This should to the trick...
We shall see.

-J

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheap fans turned into fan shrouds.

I also needed to cut out a path for the front panel cords.

I know I'll loose some efficiency with the holes on the shroud, but I think overall it will be negligible. If I really want, I can use some electric tape or something else to seal the shroud.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The front panel header just killed my plans for this case. Any way to bend those cables around a 60mm thick rad? Maybe even dremel the cable cover?

·
Force User
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunfighterAK View Post

The front panel header just killed my plans for this case. Any way to bend those cables around a 60mm thick rad? Maybe even dremel the cable cover?
I don't think so, the cables are pretty thick and non-flexible. I couldn't even get to bend them around a 25mm thick rad. The little block that they go into is a solid rubber block, you could try to dremel into it, but I'm not sure you'd really get any more clearance.

Looking at it closer, you might be able to shave some of the rubber block and get a better bend. I believe the whole cable assembly is replaceable, so if you cut it too close, you should be able to replace it.
-J

1 - 20 of 106 Posts