Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started water cooling in May of 2010, since that time I saw many pictures of what proper water cooled rigs should look like [thanks to OCN and XS!]. My current rig is hideous to look and late last summer I went on a quest to start my own "dream" build which I plan to detail here.

The case. I fell in love with the Lian Li V1000 from the start, it had everything I was looking for in a case - brushed aluminum, reverse ATX, curved lines, no plastic and I really like the hole pattern design.

Here's what I have so far:
P1010313.jpg

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's powdercoated matte black. Sorry for all the dust, that will be gone before it's done.
redface.gif

I'd like to cover the midplate, should I go with acrylic or modder's mesh? Or leave it as is?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think you're right, should match the exterior.

Here's my pumps for the external loop, these are going outside with the radiators I already have [dual GTX360's]:
P1010315.jpg

Idiotic? Yes. Overkill? Definitely. But you must admit they are awesome!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my radiators externally (ie. outside in the backyard) on purpose. A) I get better temperatures, especially at night and the winter. B) My room stays cooler. C) I currently have 6 Delta VHE's which are running at 100%. I cannot imagine having them running inside my room.

As for the pumps. I have over 70 foot of tubing between the radiators and my PC, add elbows, QDC, etc. What I learned from my current watercooled system is that my flow is too low; that's why I invested heavily in pumps this time around.

·
Case ***der
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You sound like my grandma. This case is already full of holes, what's a few more lol.
It is pretty impressive that you were able to slam all that gear in there. But I don't generally like radiator grills. They ruin the clean lines uf the case.
tongue.gif

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

It is pretty impressive that you were able to slam all that gear in there. But I don't generally like radiator grills. They ruin the clean lines uf the case.
tongue.gif
I haven't taken any finished pics, but it looks stock. The rad grill blends in with the mesh panel front, Phobya Hex matches well with mesh holes. Hell, the whole front is mesh panel now. I replaced the 5.25 blanks with Lian Li mesh and mounted the rheobus thru that. It looks factory. This is my version of Heatkiller Hole Edition. It's dense and meaty, gives you something to grab onto.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some updates. Finally got around to finishing that midplate, decided on perforated aluminum.

Here it is after being cut, drilled, sanded and anodized:
P1010324.jpg

P1010325.jpg

Also managed to sleeve the dual D5's and have them powered by a single 4-pin ATX connector:
P1010326.jpg

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the mounting plate nickel-plated to match the rest of the nickel-plate components.

As usual, I hit a roadblock trying to install the pumps. Ordered some fittings to resolve the issue, should be here next week.
smile.gif

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice Build! ........ dame I'm jelly of your perforated aluminium and dremal skills.................... can't buy perforated aluminium in au in such large sizes
frown.gif

Also had a Question does the xspc pump to take M4 or M3 screws?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4514kaiser View Post

Nice Build! ........ dame I'm jelly of your perforated aluminium and dremal skills.................... can't buy perforated aluminium in au in such large sizes
frown.gif

Also had a Question does the xspc pump to take M4 or M3 screws?
Thanks. But I have to say the small cuts on the aluminum were done with a ban saw.
tongue.gif

Sorry, I never had an XSPC pump. But I did find the manual for it that might help: http://www.xs-pc.com/manual/d5bayres.pdf

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry meant your 3 x ddc XSPC Acrylic pump top missed the 'P'!

Unfortunately XSPC seems to have no manual I've checked there website a few times, seeing your custom extra long screws I assumed you knew the size
redface.gif

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IIRC, they were 60mm M4 and the short ones were 25mm M4.

Only reason I have it raised is because it is outside; so I wanted to prevent rainwater from seeping into the PCB.
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.