Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here is a continuance of my other build log ( http://www.overclock.net/t/1387344/yet-another-rog-build-log-custom-phantom-820-asus-mve-water-coooler-7950s-and-3770k/0_30 ).

Decided to ditch the Phantom 820 and redo my loop and go with a Mountain Mods case.

Here is my updated parts list. I've taken the time to link you to the product in case any of you decide that you want the same part that I have.

Case

Mountain Mods Extended Ascension

Components

ASUS Maximus V Extreme
Delidded Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.7Ghz
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz RAM 10-11-9-29 1.6v
MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 v276
MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 v277 with 7970 PCB
Sapphire Dual-X 7950
Dual 120Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD's 120Gb
OCZ Vertez 4 SSD 128Gb
OCZ ZT Series 750W
CORSAIR CX series CX500
Bitspower X-Station Mini Multi-PSU Active Module - Red

Cooling

Fujipoly Extreme 0.5mm Thermal Pads
Fujipoly Extreme 1.0mm thermal Pads
EK-RAM Monarch Module - Black (2pcs)
Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Block
Two Alphacool Nexxxos v2 Fullcover 7950 Water Blocks
Two Alphacool NexXxoS ATXP 7950 v2 Back Plates
Watercool HEATKILLER GPU-X³ 79X0
Alphacool Repack Dual Laing D5 Bay Reservoir
Dual MCP655's running series for GPU loop & a single MCP655 for the CPU loop
Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power 360mm Radiator in Push/Pull
Alphacool Nexxxos Monsta 240mm Radiator in Push
280mm Alphacool UT60 Radiator in Push/Pull
Monsoon 3/8 x 5/8 Chrome Compression Fittings
Monsoon 3/8 x 5/8 Red Chrome Compression Fittings
Bitspower Matt Black Y-Block Fitting With Triple G1/4" Ports
Bitspower 3/8 x 5/8 45 Degree Compressions
Bitspower 3/8 x 5/8 90 Degree Compression
10 Feet PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Elegant White
Liquid Utopia Additive

Fans

Two Prolimatech Aluminum Vortex Series 140mm x 25mm Fans - Red LED
Three Prolimatech Vortex 12 120mm x 25mm Fans - Red LED
$36 (Discontinued)
Three Scythe 3000RPM ULTRA KAZE 120mm x 38mm Fans
Two Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm x 25mm Fans
Two Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition 120mm x 25mm Fans

Fan Controllers

Phobya 4 Channel Fan Controller
Two NZXT Sentry 4 Channel Fan Controllers

Total Cost of Build To Date
$4,491

UPDATE 08/03/2013
Hey guys, time for the first update! What we have here is my new Swiftech MCR320 (Damn thing is 3/8 threads! AGH!!), a nice and thick EK Coolstream 140mm radiator, an Alphacool Dual Laing D5 Bay Reservoir, a Swiftech MCP655, a dead VPP655 that I got with the trade (anyone know anything about fixing pumps? It starts up, but seems to get "caught" on something and stop suddenly), and an NZXT Fan Controller. Running Dual Loops in the Fractal Design case. Now that's just DOWNRIGHT silly!!

UPDATE 08/05/2013
Hey guys here is a quick update showing the two 360mm radiators that I will be installing in the Mountain Mods case along with my other rads. The first is a Black Ice GTX 360mm. I'm probably going to put all 6 of my Ultra Kaze 38mm thick 3000RPM fans on this for push/pull config if there is enough space. That would be 130mm with both fans and the radiator!! The other 360mm radiator is an early production of the Swiftech MCR320. Notice the 3/8 threads. Still have to get some adapters for that. Hopefully they arrive by Thursday.

UPDATE 08/11/2013
Yea I actually took it apart and cut the paper clip so it is flush with the top of the ball. It's much quieter now. Here are some well deserved pics guys!

UPDATE REBUILD 12/09/2013
Hey guys, I know its been a while, but I've just been enjoying my rig and mining 24/7 while playing some crazy modded Skyrim and Crysis 3. So I looked at my loop the other day and noticed that there was algae along the inside of the tubing. I immediately shut the computer off, cleared the power, and ripped everything apart and started cleaning. Now with my computer apart I instinctively started thinking about upgrades. I opened the VPP655 that I fixed with the paperclip only to see lots and lots of rust. Turns out the paperclip rusted (although the pump was still working perfectly). How did I not think of that when I did it? So I jumped onto Performance-PCs and ordered a brand new MCP655 to replace it.
Also, since BTC has been so high I decided to sell 0.2BTC at $1150/BTC and gave it to my friend. In return I received a brand new MSI TFIII 7950 and an OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD along with a 7950 full cover that I traded him a while ago still vacuum sealed in the packaging. Well as it turns out this MSI TFIII 7950 was a v277 which is on the 7970 PCB with 6+8 pins. This means that the 7950 water block won't fit. I ordered that block originally in July but I decided to see if PPC would let me RMA it for store credit so I could buy the correct block. Even though I was way past the allowed time limit they made an exception for me since it was my birthday (I love you PPC!). Also, I decided to get rid of the Black Ice GTX 360mm and replace it with a 240mm Alphacool Monsta that I had lying around. I also took out the EK 140mm rad. Ordered myself all new tubing and Swiftech Lok-Seal GPU connectors.!
Lastly, I also got rid of all of those god awful barbs! I got a pack of Red Monsoon Compressions to mix in with my Chrome Monsoon Compressions and that made everything look a lot better. It was absolute hell trying to drain it so I took some time to think about it and have a very nice draining system now. I love these Alphacool rads because of all of the possible configurations and the drain port on the bottom of the rad. This is how my new design goes:

GPU Loop: Res>MCP655>MCP655 with temp sensor>Swiftech MCR320 360mm>Alphacool Nexxxos Monsta 240mm (with drain port coming out of the other side)>Alphacool 7950 block>Alphacool 7950 block>Alphacool 7970 block>Res
CPU Loop: Res>MCP655>Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 280mm radiator (with drain port on the bottom)> Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Block> Res

I'm also thinking of getting EK-FB ASUS Maximus V Extreme water block for my motherboard just because it looks awesome, but the next thing I'm buying is DEFINITELY a new PSU. I only have a 750w OCZ running two 7950's, the CPU, and the MOBO and with this third 7950 on board I'm going to be also using a Corsair 450w for the third 7950 and all of the peripherals and fan controllers. Don't want to run it like that for too long so in two weeks or so I will be buying a 1250w PSU. Just not sure which one yet.

Here is the package I got today from my best friends at PPC!

And here is my updated build in its current state. As you can see I'm trying to work with gravity this time with the way the water flows unlike before where there were a lot of areas where the water had to fight gravity: mostly how the 2nd MCP655 was above the reservoir. I have now placed it below the reservoir.

Going to paint the white bezel black since it sticks out like a sore thumb!

and here are my new drain system that I have incorporated in the build with one in the GPU loop and one in the CPU loop. Now draining shouldn't be so difficult.

UPDATE 12/10/2013
So I've decided to purchase two more Ripjaws X 2133Mhz RAM for a total of four and pry the heatsinks off with a screw driver and heat gun to fit these EK-RAM Monarch Modules on them.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38775
Then I will attach this EK-RAM Monarch X4 CSQ block on to water cool my RAM mostly for looks.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_294&products_id=34464
I am thinking about also purchasing the EK-FB ASUS M5E mobo block, but I've been trying to keep my loop strictly copper so I don't know what I'll do about that. I avoid nickel like the plague. Especially EK nickel. Wish they made a copper version. I believe MIPS made one for my MOBO, but sadly they aren't around anymore (R.I.P. MIPS!). Here is the EK MVE Block
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36111
I'm still deciding on a PSU and STILL don't have the money for one so I'll be using two for a little bit which won't look too pretty especially since the corsair CX500 isn't modular
mad.gif

All I have left to do for this stage of the rebuild is get my Alphacool 7970 waterblock for the 6+8 pin MSI TFIII 7950. Then I will be up and running again until I can afford the rest of the parts and then I will rip everything apart and rebuild once again. What are your guys' opinions on the EK MOBO block? Should I do it? Or not?

Update 12/11/2013
Hey guys, since I forgot to post pics of all the fun stuffs I got the other day..... here's pics of all the fun stuffs I got the other day!! Already had the two cards with water blocks on them. The MSI Twin Frozr III with 7970 PCB is the new one
thumb.gif

Update 12/12/2013
Here's some more pictures guys! Decided to do it in front of the Christmas tree to spread some Christmas love! Enjoy!

BTW to all those OCD people out there like myself I switch the red and chrome compressions on the Alphacool Monsta radiator to continue on with the pattern. No need to say anything! I already fixed it
thumb.gif

So I really didn't want to have to buy the Alphacool 7970 block to match my Alphacool 7950 blocks because the 7970 version of the block doesn't have active VRM cooling and that ruins the point of a fullcover block IMO. So I decided to go with the HEATKILLER 7970 block for the MSI TFIII 7950, but since it is made by a different company the threads between the HEATKILLER and Alphacool 7950 blocks won't line up. This makes it difficult to plumb the loop. tsm106 helped me come up with a great solution for this. Here is a diagram that I drew up to explain the process of connecting all three cards in the loop.

I am just waiting on the HEATKILLER block at the moment, but I have the other two GPU's ready to go!

Update 12/15/2013
Hey guys, here is some 7950 pron for you!

Update 12/16/2013
Hey guys I have another update for you today! PPC received my RMA today and gave me my store credit almost immediately! Love the guys over there!

Anyways, I was ORIGINALLY going to just purchase the block for my MSI TFIII with 7970 PCB, but we all know how that goes. This is how my card looked before I hit the checkout button
biggrin.gif

As you see there are some RAM module covers in that card. Decided to do a mod where I painstakingly peeled the heat-spreaders off of my G.Skill Ripjaws X to fit these EK heat-spreaders on. I did this for two reasons:
  • They look sexy
  • To prepare for a future RAM waterblock
It was a pain in the butt to get the heat-spreaders off, but with some time I got it done. Here are the pictures for your viewing pleasure!

Next update will be when I receive my stuff from Performance PC's (hopefully) on Friday
thumb.gif

Update 12/18/2013
Here is a cool picture of my three 7950s waiting for water blocks and my two G.Skill 2133Mhz RAM waiting for heat-spreaders
GPUs1.JPG
Looks like I found my new avatar!

I also changed the order of my loop since the bottom two cards are going to be in parallel I didn't want to have to run the tubing all the way from the bottom of the case to the top where the reservoir is. I also have decided that I'm going to run the top GPU in the CPU loop to make it cleaner. So here is the new order of the loop:

New GPU loop: Res > MCP655 > MCP655 > Alphacool Monsta 240mm> GPU > GPU > Swiftech MCR320 360mm > Res
Old GPU loop: Res > MCP655 >MCP655 > Swiftech MCR320 360mm > Alphacool Monsta 240mm > GPU > GPU > Res

New CPU loop: Res > MCP655 > Alphacool UT60 280mm > CPU > GPU > Res
I'm also thinking about doing it like this: Res > MCP655 > GPU > CPU > Alphacool UT60 280mm > Res

This way the GPU will receive the highest flow of all the components in the CPU loop instead of being last although I don't think an Alphacool UT60 280mm rad and a Swiftech Apogee HD will restrict the flow that much before entering the GPU though.

Update 12/19/2013
Polished up my blocks getting ready for tomorrow!
Before

After

Well THAT was successful!!

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

Looking forward to see a mountain mods build!
Hey thanks a lot man! That means a lot coming from you! Going to throw everything together today and find the best option for running myy pumps because with that Alphacool Reservoir I can't run them in series. Sadly...

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I setup everything in my Fractal Design XL R2 for now since I'm not getting my Mountain Mods until the 9th. Bleeding everything while I'm out and will take some pics when I get home. Decided to run a dual loop setup to see how it works out. It not the prettiest loop at the moment, but I just wanted to throw everything together quickly since this is just temporary.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
Sounds good, Im keeping my eye on it

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, time for the first update! What we have here is my new Swiftech MCR320 (Damn thing is 3/8 threads! AGH!!), a nice and thick EK Coolstream 140mm radiator, an Alphacool Dual Laing D5 Bay Reservoir, a Swiftech MCP655, a dead VPP655 that I got with the trade (anyone know anything about fixing pumps? It starts up, but seems to get "caught" on something and stop suddenly), and an NZXT Fan Controller. Running Dual Loops in the Fractal Design case. Now that's just DOWNRIGHT silly!!

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by briddell View Post

Awesome, subbed
smile.gif
Thanks a lot man! Appreciate the love
thumb.gif

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know I am new here, but I can't wait to see your build. I am itching to do a Mountain Mods build. Good luck! SUBBED!!!
thumb.gif

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCRava View Post

I know I am new here, but I can't wait to see your build. I am itching to do a Mountain Mods build. Good luck! SUBBED!!!
thumb.gif
Hey, thanks a lot man. Stay tuned for more. I am getting my case on the 9th. I'll make sure to take lots of pics for ya.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys here is a quick update showing the two 360mm radiators that I will be installing in the Mountain Mods case along with my other rads. The first is a Black Ice GTX 360mm. I'm probably going to put all 6 of my Ultra Kaze 38mm thick 3000RPM fans on this for push/pull config if there is enough space. That would be 130mm with both fans and the radiator!! The other 360mm radiator is an early production of the Swiftech MCR320. Notice the 3/8 threads. Still have to get some adapters for that. Hopefully they arrive by Thursday.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Nice list of parts, you're going to love the Ascension.

Did you get the horizon tray option?
No I didn't end up getting the Horizon. I sort of wish that I did though haha! Doesn't matter though It's going to be amazing regardless!

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by daguardian View Post

subbed, I want to see this all come together, I just got the same dual pump/res.
Nice how do you like it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Loved the Kaze fans. How are you planning to connect and what kind of tubing are you using on your 3 rads? Also, is it possible to mount the thicker fans between the stacked rads and the thinner ones outside?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.