Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello everybody
wave2.gif

Now I'm usually all for AMD builds but in the recent years i personally felt they are somewhat lacking, I know the price of an AMD build in comparison to an Intel build is somewhat cheaper, but that's pretty much where the perk stops.
So I have decided to change teams on the old CPU front, this is my 1st Intel build so i hope you all like it (i know I do)
biggrin.gif

Now as for a components list...... I'll split it down to parts i already owned and parts i had to buy.

Already owned:
  • Case- Corsair air 540 black
  • PSU- CM silent Pro gold 1200w
  • Optical- Samsung Blu-ray rw
  • HDD2- WD Caviar black 500gb
  • HDD3- WD Caviar black 500gb
  • HDD4- Samsung pro 120gb
  • GPU- x2 XFX DD R9 280X's
  • Soundcard- Creative x-fi Titanium
Parts i had to buy:
  • Mobo- MSi X79A-GD65 (8D)
  • CPU- i7 3820 Lga2011
  • Heatsink- Watercooled with EK-KIT L240
  • Ram- 16gb quad channel Corsair Vengance red edition
  • HDD1- OCZ Revo-drive3 Pci-e SSD 120gb (used for OS)
Now I have already finished this build but i took pictures along the way, the next few posts will have streams of pictures for you to oogle at..
I only just finished putting this Build together about an hour before posting this so i am yet to press that Oc Genie button to see what auto overclock i can get
biggrin.gif
however i am not going to do any serious overclocking until next weekend when i purchase a better cooler (thinking the H80i) then i will try to get as close to 5.0ghz as possible
thumb.gif

Now I have tried my best at the photo's, pretty sure i took plenty (even some closeups) so i hope you all enjoy
smile.gif

Edit: Edited parts list.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now once I had connected everything up, I pushed the power button awaiting patiently for the windows install screen.......however to my bemused surprise it didn't post
mad.gif
I tried a few time, checking if i had maybe grounded the mobo somehow, but as far as i could see everything was good
headscratch.gif
and then i remembered reading on here somewhere that the 1st set of x79 motherboards, were shipped with a bios that didn't support the 3820's, basically any bios lower than v1.5 wouldn't post.

I found a fix after trawling the internet on my trusty xperia phone, the fix was to remove all but one of the ram sticks and use any HDD with windows already installed. I still hadn't erased my SSD which i used as my OS drive in my AMD build, so i hooked that up and pressed the power button, sitting there fingers crossed eyes closed i heard the familiar beep of the post. Looking up at my screen through blurry eyes, i see that windows logo swirling in the center of my screen
biggrin.gif
hastily sitting up i flash up my browser looking for the latest bios, finding it quickly on the MSi website i get that sucker downloaded and installed through their auto update software.

Shutting down my Pc, re-installing my ram and unplugging the SSD i re-boot the system and BOOM!! it's post's straight away.............problem solved
thumb.gif

everything else was pretty much straight forward.

hope you enjoyed my tale of woe
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've had some time to see how much of an OC this OC genie button gives, it's not that bad actually. I've been running at a steady 4ghz all day now playing Crysis 3 and Guildwars 2 (not that GW2 stresses the system, i just love the game)
below is my CPU-z screenshot for ya
biggrin.gif

Next updat will be thursday or friday depending on when i get my H80i

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I thought i might've had a few more hits with this build but never mind.
Maybe this will help.

I am planning on putting tihis build underwate, was thinking of changing the case to a Lian-Li ( maybe the v2120) as i've heard they're are pretty epic.
I could do with some recomendations though please people.

Kinda things i like in a case are:
nice clean and smooth
definatly need a window
plenty of space behind mobo for cable routing (can't stand messy cables)
an all aluminium or steel case (not a fan of tacky plastic)

as for the watercooling part i was thinking of getting one of the all in one packs from EK, as for which one will depend on the case i get. Is it worth getting a ack or buying everything seperate?

Cheers in advance people.

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers Kainn
thumb.gif

Thanks for your input about watercooling, since i'm a newbie to WC i think it might be a safe bet to get the EK pack, I don't want to forget to buy something and regret it later.

As for a case, I've just seen this http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=337&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=f
It looks like it's a good case, I know there is no window but I've heard that Lian-Li sell parts sepertaly so i might be able to pic one up. Or i can just cut one out myself.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To tell you the truth kez watercooling isn't that bad.. currentley getting ready to strip mine down for a clean and flush while putting in my 3 GTX 470's and extra radiator.. Get the bits you want etc and i'll give you a hand when your home from deployment.. Plus now EK are now doing Dual Bay Res's with pump like the XSPC ones

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-Bay-DCP-22-Dual-Drive-Bay-Reservoir-with-DCP-22-400Lph-Pump--Acetal-pid-17638.html

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-BAY-DCP-22-Combo-525-Dual-Drive-Bay-Reservoir--Acetal-pid-16898.html

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well hello to anyone still following this thread, welcome to anyone new
thumb.gif

I have some updates to my Intel build......I have changed my case to a Corsair Carbide Air 540 and i have purchased an XFX Radeon R9 280X!
I also ordered a Corsair H80i but had some problems with that and had to RMA, pics below will explain.

few pic below for you
biggrin.gif

multiple angles of the Carbide Air case

As you can see below my H80i had leaked within the packaging
mad.gif

A few of the XFX R9 280X

And one final picture of it fitted
smile.gif

I do have another R9 280X coming but i won't be home to X-Fire it unitl mid November. Pics when i do though
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.