Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Unknown Soldier

***Like Frankenstein, every zombie ever raised, and Keven Federline's "career", I HAVE RESURRECTED THIS ABOMINATION AND WILL MAKE IT WHOLE ONCE AGAIN!!!***

This is now to be considered RESURRECTED, and I will be returning the SG05 parts to this case, with a NEW Cooler Master Glacier 240L AIO cooler, etc!!!

Thanks for all the support and help along the way, and come see me in my new log, located here!

cheers.gif

Thanks - T

Current starting components:

1. MSI Z77IA-E53 (LGA 1155) motherboard (already purchased)
2. Intel i5-2500k processor (in current rig)
3. 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport Low-Profile DDR3-1600 RAM (already purchased)
4. Sapphire Tech HD 7770 - 1GB DDR5 (cute little boy!)
5. Hard drives: Samsung 840 500GB SSD (installed in SG05)
7. Silverstone 450W SFF PSU w/ short cable set
8. Cooler Master Glacier 240L AIO
9. Samsung 6X Blu-Ray External read-writer

XX. Misc. parts:
a. XX

As of right now, those are the components that were originally part of the CL S3 build, so I have some more editing to do as I come to realize what is required in a SFF build like this. Bear with me!

This is another new iteration of my ongoing / evolving / fluctuating Mini-ITX rig that's based around my old-and-faithful Intel 2500k processor! Nothing major to announce yet, but I'll be in here in the next few weeks to fill back out the beauty for all of you!!!

FINAL POST:

HERE is the link the the final post, with internal shots, and a final word!
I'll open'er back up if I ever want to change anything!!!

Hope to hear from a lot of you!
Thanks for the reads, writes, and (hopefully) suggestions!!!
cheers.gif

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RESERVED FOR: Watercooling Parts!

biggrin.gif

That's the water cooling parts as it stands May 8th 2013!

This will be edited and updated with new pictures as I receive new parts in to continue the build!

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RESERVED FOR: Case Unboxing / Modding / Build Logging / B'logging! (I'M TAKING IT BACK!!!!)

Unboxing, glamour shots!!!

This is the modding I'm into so far: Two holes drilled for the pump bracket mounting screws.
I still need to fit a vibration dampening material behind the bracket, so that will have to come back out anyway.

biggrin.gif

The rest will be added as I mod!

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RESERVED FOR: Extras, Finishing Touches, Revamps, Etc.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Everything is going to look wicked in this case when your done and i will def follow your progress.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK THEN!

So after some discussion over at the CL S3 thread, I've decided to cut initial costs by going full air cooling, and save not for the H220 AIO, but for a full custom loop in the future!
I can keep it plenty cool with a good air unit, so that's going to be my path.

Ordered the Corsair AX850 from Newegg today, along with a Xigmatek Dark Knight II CPU cooler, both with sales and rebates!
thumb.gif

Will post pics above when I can open the blinds and get a stable shooting platform for good quality pictures...

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketus View Post

You want 19mm switch, not the 22mm - FCPU and other sites are listing their 19mm switches as 22mm, erroneously.
As stated by Jim in the CL S3 thread.
Yeah, I got the correct ones, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Foxx View Post

Ohh yea
thumb.gif
They posted pics of the case overnight, and it looks AMAZING!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks - T

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher1016 View Post

Yeah, I got the correct ones, thanks!

They posted pics of the case overnight, and it looks AMAZING!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks - T
Enjoyed your comments over at the CL S3 thread so I thought I would check out your upcoming build.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPE-331 View Post

Thrasher, nice to see the first S3 Merc. build log. I am subbing to this one.
Yeah, I was actually tempted to jump ship for a bit when they started talking about the S5 being mATX, and only being a bit bigger...
I'm not such a huge fan of the mITX socket space restrictions, but the air cooler I'm using for a temporary solution (I have two to choose from) should fit fine... I think...
redface.gif

I'm committed to this one, however, for many reasons, and the least of all that I priced my future WC setup today, and I'm looking at about $1,000 to do the loop the way I want to, and being a custom loop newb, I may have it all wrong anyway...
So being that I'll sink a fat boot load of cash into that, I think the small CL case will work best for me.

I'm changing a few things around however...
biggrin.gif

They added the drive cages for the lower side bay, so look for a quad 128GB SSD setup to be announced here soon!
thumb.gif

I also got a pair of Akasa Viper PWM fans yesterday - one the 120/140mm hybride frame size, the other a traditional 120mm, and slapped the 120mm on my current setup.
SWEET BREAKDANCING MOSES, those things could get the Boeing 787 in the air, man!!! BEEFY blade construction too, which I love. I'm all for more strength than necessary, and a lot of fan blades are FAR to weak for my taste.
I have Silverstone Air Penetrators for case fans, and now I am sold on the Akasas, so I think I have that all worked out...
smile.gif

More to come!

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK THEN!!!

Looks like all my dreams and aspirations of doing a Xigmatek DKII or Zalman 9500T are going to have to be turned sideways.
Literally.
rolleyes.gif

So an alternative - not a good one, but whatever - is to turn one of the two new coolers I bought SIDEWAYS in the rig when I build.
Basically this means they'll be pulling from the back of the GPU and exhausting toward the back case wall, but I have an Idea for that problem, which involves a little case modding and such...

SO, in the spirit of that, I took my new Xigmatek Dark Knight II and installed THIS:

Akasa Viper 140-120mm PWM fan in pull! I'm pretty sure there's room for a push too, but I don't think it'll matter at this point...

Now here's a new question:
Do I go with this if I get respectable temps, or take the Zalman, which has the radiused copper blades, and turn it sideways, and let the air flow a LOT more freely?
Looking for input!

Thanks all! - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CASE HAS BEEN PRE-ORDERED!!! RAWR!!!

That is all.
biggrin.gif

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by seross69 View Post

Sub for sure!!!
Thanks!

ALSO:

Got my 2-way PWM splitter cable in, and also got my Crucial Ballistix low-profile memory from the 'Egg yesterday too!

I'm basically set for parts now, so I'll be updating my starting posts with some box & prop shots as soon as the sun is up good and well this weekend!

I'll get my 4x SSDs and external disc drive later... my short term plan is to migrate my drives from my current rig into this one, wipe the drivers, and go from there.

Thanks - T

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPE-331 View Post

Congrats Thrasher, were you the first customer to get your order in?
smile.gif
Oh no......... I was mad when I saw that I didn't get to post a *first* though!

Turns out it's for the best, because the order form page was woefully underprepared, with basically none of the advanced options I (and many others) wanted when it was first put up on CL's website.

I was probably in the first 10 though, for sure!

Thanks - T

1 - 20 of 572 Posts