Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] No Name Case: Refresh old rig

543 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Pedros 
#1 ·
So after 4 years or so without upgrades ... i'm back to giving this old guy some revamp
smile.gif

Getting Ready to Rumble

Clean up 4 years of dust...

Installing the 1080Ti Seahawk X

Delidding the 4690K

"Curating" ...

Installed ...

Up and running ...

Damn... need to clean the window
biggrin.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
So ... the refresh is more complex than this first step... for now what i did was:

- General cleanup
- 4690K Delid
- MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
- NZXT Grid+ V2 fan controller ( i must say the CAM software sucks big time ... )
- Changed all fans for SP120 that i had laying around ... why not ...
- Sound system upgrade: Edifer 2730RBs with Warfdale Sub
- Coolermaster MasterKeys S (White only)
- Small led strip ... hmmm need another i think, but maybe try to install it under the mobo

Next Steps:

- Get new cables... need to find something compatible with the XFX 1250 Pro Black
- New case... the 540 is getting crowded...
- 4690K to 4790K ... like i said in another thread, i'm lazy and i don't feel like going to a new socket right now
- Acer 38" monitor
- Storage ... don't know what yet bug ... something...
- Maybe going to a 360 AIO solution ... push pull on a H105 is really cool bbut takes so much space

#3 ·
So... some updates:

1) Got my hands on a 4790K ... got it delided and on stock max temp is 51 ... not bad. I oc'ed to 4.7 @ 1.279v but i need to see if i can lower it.

2) New monitor!!!!

3) New case!

I need to find time to get better pics

Next :

Thinking about NZXT X62...

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

Nice upgrade.

Only one suggestion - move the rad for the GPU so it's above the GPU if you can. This will prevent air from hitting the pump in the block. It probably won't matter until down the line (gradual evaporation), but might as well do it now for extra safety.
Thanks for the input Savant.
This weekend I'll start moving stuff to the 740 and the GPU Rad will be on the back as exhaust. This placement was not ideal but it was the free space i had if i wanted to keep my h105 in push/pull
tongue.gif

#7 ·
not actually :x one thing i know is that major temp decreases depends on you silicone... but you should expect at least a 5-10ºC minimum.

But for reference, when playing , before delidding, i saw 50 - 54C in the CPU and now i see 39-44.

Testing with Prime95, i can't tell since my 4690K was solid at 4.6Ghz since 2015 and when i got this 4790K i didn't do a before/after test. My bad
tongue.gif

#8 ·
Ok, last items arrived ... starting to move my rig to the Air 740 this weekend ... fun fun fun...

#9 ·
Lousy pic but ...

X62 in push/pull front mounted with Coolermaster Masterfan 140 Air Pressure's
Seahawk X rad on the back in push pull with Coolermaster 120 Air Pressure's

Bottom & Top Intake with 2 x Coolermaster Masterfan 140 Airflow's

Temps on idle

Some rant about the Coolermaster Masterfans ...
Amazing specs in terms of airflow and air pressure ...But build quality is sub par ...

When you rise the fan speed, there's lot of oscilation ... to a point that i had to do this:

I had to create some spacing between the fan and the case chassis because the fan blades were hitting the chassis hard to a point that i thought 2 of them were completely broken.

PSU chamber is a mess in terms of wires... since i have to use cable extensions if i want sleeved cables ... it's a mess :x

#10 ·
Here the 960Pro benches... I knew this limitation but ... was a good deal and it's always a good step up when i get a new system. I could get a PCIE M.2 card that would limit the 1080Ti tosome extend.

#11 ·
Next to come:

2 x NZXT Grid+ V3. I bought the V2 but didn't work with these fans ... so i returned and order the V3. Also installed the NZXT Internal USB Hub, that has 3 USB headers so i can connect both Kraken and 2 Grids.

I need to redo my cable management too but... don't know where to start
biggrin.gif
lol

#12 ·
How it is right now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.