Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN and welcome to my first Build Log...

I've been a member here for a while, and really have only started building my own machines for the last few years and figured that since my current build is going to be an ongoing project (as opposed to my past builds where I get all the parts at once and slap it together), I would post things here and share my modest project. My computer is used for mostly media use (watching movies, listening to music), gaming, and basic video and audio editing/recording. I am a public educator, so funds are rather minuscule and price/performance are a concern. I'm not looking for the greatest/best/fastest cpu out there, but something that meets my needs and is fun to mess around and tinker with...

Currently my computer is up and functioning (and rather bland), but as I acquire the funds I plan on expanding my basic water loop (yay for water cooling), attempting my hand with some custom sleeving, as well as some basic mods (custom HDD enclosure perhaps?)

Anyways... Here is my current parts list:

Case: NZXT Phantom 530
Mobo: Asrock 990FX Killer
Processor: FX-6300 (OC @ 4.8ghz)
RAM: 8GB GSkill Ripjaw 2133
GPU 1: Powercolor R7-260x
GPU 2: Club 3D R7-260x
PSU: Seasonic x650 Gold
SSD: 120gb OCZ Agility

To be added/exchanged:

FX-8320/8350 - This choice will all depend on funds and/or sale prices
2 - R9- 270x GPU's: I was originally going to get the 270x cards from the get go, but then prices jumped and the 260x cards were on sale. $220 total for the both of them, and I am getting 280x performance (most of the time
rolleyes.gif
)
Extra 240mm Radiator
White Primochill tubing
Custom Sleeving
Waterblocks for the GPU's
NZXT Hale PSU (for theme sake...might also nab a higher watt seasonic...budget considerations and all)

and now for some pics...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't take pics of the case when it arrived... so this stock photo is going to have to do..

Its an awesome case, and a little more subdued than the other Phantoms. With the white case, I decided to go with a white and black theme, with red accents.

Mobo/CPU and GPU Shots:

I apologizes for some of the pics... I do not have access to a high quality digital camera, and am forced to rely on my phone
frown.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here is my machine in its current state....awaiting for the things I would like to do (but am stymied by funds)...

The top panel of the case is roomy enough that I was able to get the H220 on top, freeing up tons of room inside... You can also see my attempts at an acrylic psu shroud, but I plan to redo it as my painting skills (and cutting skills) were rather lacking.

Inside of the case... Right now I am using sleeved extensions, and while they look nice.. the back side of the case is a real mess.

Some closer up shots of the inside and shroud and such...

A shot from the front... and my fan controller... I'm debating if I should pick up the white bitfenix recon in order to match the theme...
thinking.gif

Anyways... here is where my project officially starts. I have some sleeving materials that I am using to learn on (and extra modular power cables), so I don't end up really screwing up what is essentially keeping my cpu running. I also tend to get distracted (or enticed by shiny objects) so there is no telling how the final iteration of this machine may turn out
smile.gif

·
Registered
736 Posts
The shroud looks nice, I don't think you have to redo it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Subbed
biggrin.gif
Thank you kind sir
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rteOC View Post

The shroud looks nice, I don't think you have to redo it.
From a distance (and in the pics) it's fine... But I rushed the paint job and it ran and globed up in places
frown.gif
The finish also isn't the smooth glossy look I was going for...so my mild OCD tendencies are kicking in and it's mocking me. Also, it sits right up next to the front of the case so if I want to add another radiator it's going to have to be moved...

Which brings me to an update
smile.gif
Had some unexpected funds come in, and picked up a 240 radiator + fans from Swiftech... Essentially is the same radiator and fan setup as found in the H220. While I was at it I got some of the white tubing as well.... Pics and such to come once they arrive
smile.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small update
smile.gif
... I came home and found a package had arrived a few days earlier than expected. Sadly, all I had time for was to open it and inspect the contents (and snap some shots) before I had to leave for this months drill... Anyways, here are the pics!

I also have some white gloss Vinyl on the way I am hoping will provide a better finish for the shroud...as well as a few other ideas I have for this build

Additionally.. My wife surprised me with an early birthday present and ordered me an FX-8320 which hopefully should arrive Tuesday. So a good possibility of many upcoming pictures this next weekend as I take apart and reassemble everything
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright... I have a (rather lengthy) update...

I took apart everything in order to add the new radiator/fans/tubing. I also attempted a new shroud (not too happy with the results
frown.gif
...) Anyways, everything goes better with pictures,.. so here goes:

Stripped everything down...

Got the new radiator installed in the front...

You might not be able to see it, but with the H220 Rads they have build in barbs on the top... and in my case they just barely clear the bays

Nice close up of the rad (pretty happy with this shot too as it was on a cell phone)..

Top Rad reinstalled...

I decided to put the fans on the bottom in push, and exhaust out the top,..mainly because of the lack of filter on the top

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I leak tested last night...and now leaks
smile.gif
and promptly got things put back into the case...

I re-purposed part of the old shroud, and had to be creative with placement of the harddrives...I also slapped together a quick temporary shroud as well... So currently things look as follows...

I am still waiting on the FX-8320 (wife and I had some unexpected expenses, so had to delay for a few weeks), it also looks like I was one of the winners for the month long giveaway here on OCN, so I am trying to figure out what I want to do... Im currently leaning towards selling off my r7-260x's and nabbing an r9-280x... My other option is to get more h20 stuffs...we shall see what happens.

Thanks for checking in..any and all feedback and suggestions are appreciated
smile.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small Update.... for those who are following, or care...lol..

I received an FX 8320 yesterday, so will be tearing things up a bit, and redoing the loop tonight (I had some pesky air bubbles i couldnt flush, and figure refilling everything is going to be best...)

I am going to put up my 260x's and Ram for sale on the ebay... with the goal of getting enough funds (to be added to what i have) to get a 280/280x and the new Kingston HyperX fury in White...

Those would fit perfectly in the build...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rRansom View Post

You should have no troubles pushing it to 4.5GHz-4.6GHz. It's beyond that point where it really starts to get tricky. But with a custom loop, you should be able to manage fine. Good luck on the silicone lottery!
biggrin.gif
I'm hoping to get somewhere around 4.6-4.8 without terribly high volts and/or temps...

... Sadly I won't get to find out til the weekend as my PSU crapped on me when I was bleeding the loop
frown.gif
... not really sure what happened as things were going well 1 minute and the next everything was dead...regardless I'm not happy.

All isn't lost though, as my in laws hooked me up and I have a 700w NZXT Hale82 v2 in white arriving friday. I also was able to make a new plate to mount my SSD on...and while it doesn't have the nzxt cutout...it came together quite nicely
smile.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello All... I have a few updates, and pics to go with them...

First off... my new PSU arrived
smile.gif
so now I can get back to putting things together, as well as testing out the 8320

...I'm currently using extensions, as I'm still not confident enough yet to sleeve everything myself...

Some cable management shots of the back... Since I removed the drive bays (and have 4 drives) I had to get creative with the placement of everything. Thankfully there is enough space on the back to house the drives and the cables with no issue
thumb.gif

Here is all the cables + extensions...

Everything nice and clean in the front...sans GPU

And this is where I am currently at... I do have some nice new (and white) Kingston HyperX Fury Sticks (2x4 8gb 1866) arriving on Tuesday which should match nicely with everything. Thanks for viewing, and check back later... please feel free to offer suggestions/comments
smile.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Looks awesome
biggrin.gif
I'm loving that asrock board, ROG looks on the cheap ftw
Thanks
smile.gif
I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing... and I'm really happy with the Mobo; it isn't the best overclocker out there, but for the price, and the features that it comes with, it is quite the bang for your buck
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts