Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New to these forums as you might see, but not new to computers per say. Certain parts maybe, but I plan on changing that!

I was referred here by a buddy of mine and it was suggested that I create a build log to document the whole process. Hey, why not right? I admit, reading these things is kinda cool. So, here we go!

Nothing Special

General

Build Name: Nothing Special
Base: Intel
Case: NZXT Switch 810
Color Scheme: Red, Black, White
Sponsorship: None at the moment
Sources: Amazon.com, Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com, Performance-PCS.com, MDPC
Cost: $2,900.00 (+/-)

Guts

CPU: Intel i7 3770K (1155)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti Superclocked
PSU: Ultra X4 Full Modular 850W
Mobo: Asus Maximus V Formula Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
HDD #1: WD Caviar Black 1TB
HDD #2: WD Green 2TB (Storage Drive)
Disc Drive: Pioneer Blue Ray Burner

Cooling

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Pump: XSPC D5 Variable Speed Pump 750mlph
Rad: XSPC EX240 Radiator
Rad Misc: Shrouds
Rez #1: XSPC Duel Bay
Rez #2: FrozenQ (T-Virus) - Black Inverted
Fittings: XSPC, Bitspower - All Compression - Standard and 45 angled
Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red
Liquid: Custom (See Below)
Antimicrobial: Silver Bullet
Fans: TBD
GPU Block: TBD

Misc

Lights: 4" UV CC Lighting x2
Lights: 3mm LED Lights x4
Bling: XSPC Heat Sensors x2
Bling: XSPC Heat Sensor Frame 5.25 Bay
Sleeve: MDPC-X
Feet: Lian Li
KB: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech Gaming Mouse G700
Sound: Logitech Z623

Well, there is what I am planning. I am ordering half of my parts for this build as soon as this is posted. The remainder of the parts will be ordered in the very near future. I am hoping to have my PSU and a few other parts in time to get my order from MDPC so I can get everything sleeved. I am cheating in a way as I am getting a couple things sleeved by Performance-PCS as part of my order - time savings and all.

The look of the liquid I am want very specific. I have been messing around with a blend of a few things I got here and there that sorta looks like a chalky blood - sorta thick - but is UV reactive. Kinda of a PITA to DIY a fluid, but I'm picky
rolleyes.gif

As with most of these logs, expect photos as soon as I start getting the gear in. I'm a photog, so expect copious amounts of gratuitous gear shots. Macros, artsy stuff, w/e... Most shots I will be putting up here, but for the sake of these forums I will be hosting a bunch of other shots on my own website as well (see sig line for photoblog site)

Well, I'll be back soon with updates, till then!
thumb.gif

::EDIT:: Update thread name to better reflect content

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
** Update Photos **

Some fast photos for now. These are some of the lights and obviously some of the light mods I made to the case.

In the front in the lower grill I installed a light there to shine through the grill. I also removed the lower grilles and installed LED strips. They make a cool bokeh pattern as you can see
smile.gif

Not shown are the red LEDs to replace the white ones. I left the top two white ones to better match a few of my accessories.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
** UPDATE **

Most of the guts ordered. SSD went up in price $10 bucks in the span of a few min after post.
mad.gif
Oh well.

-- Possible Case Mods

I was thinking of adding a spot for light switch (not the one of those grate versions) If you look at the back of the 810 case there are nice wire routing holes, I want to add a switch into the top.

I am going to see if I can find something nice looking to use as a case partition between the bottom PSU / Rad section and the upper portion of the case. Similar to what you can find on the Corsair case.

I am not a huge fan of the upper plastic vent. I am want to try and replace that with a grate/filter and some fans to push air out.

Possibly replace the front floated plastic part on the case with an AL version. Maybe steel, or even maybe a very dark stained wood. If I go the wood route I'll prob add a matching portion to replace the top frame.

I would like to add a floated 4x6 etched acrylic plaque to the window side of the case with the name of this build - Nothing Special. Does anyone know where I can get something like this custom made? If not, I can DIY it!

** UPDATE **

Amazon is killing me. such a nightmare with getting stuff shipped the right way. I will say their customer service has been pretty decent though in helping out, so that's good. Had my shipment of 2 SSD, Blue Ray Burner, GTX 660Ti, and RAM end up on the front door of my old apartment! Luckily I was able to go and retrieve it, but dang...

Case is getting delivered today, so I might be able to set up some work on some possible mods and take measurements. Everything should be here by Sept 4th. just waiting on Performance-PCS!
smile.gif

** UPDATE **

Waiting on my cooling stuff, Mobo and Monitor. Got my CPU, Keyboard (Freaking LOVE it), HDD, and a few other things last night. Tomorrow I will start taking some photos.

Also ordered a case plaque to try and cover up the visible portion of the drive bay through the window on the top right. Thinking I might need to find some stand offs though to make it look good, assuming it will all fit.

**Update **

Well, had some issues in the ordering process and I'm still waiting on my Mobo. tracking says it should be here by Monday the 10th. In the mean time I am hoping I can take some shots tonight and finish replacing the rest of the LEDs, install the PSU, Rad, rez, etc.

The LED set that comes with this case has got to have the smallest wires I have seen, even compared to AV equipment! Had to go get a super small tip to solder the wires. My other tip would just evaporate them. :|

I'm open to ideas on this as wel, so if you have any, let me know.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I am waiting on my Mobo, but I figured I could at least start doing something. I got the PSU, HDD, Blue Ray installed. Found a nice spot on the back for one of the SDDs.

I finished soldering up the LEDs in this thing. Wow, PITA! Look at how thin these things are:

If anyone is trying to change out the LEDs, they use standard 5mm. It might be hard to see but the wires are either brown or black. Anode = Brown and Cathode = Black. It's impossible to figure that out by stripping the wires because the connection points on the stock LEDs are to small. However, if you look at the inside of the LED itself, you will see the direction of the plate cuts. They look kinda like this > Just use that as a guide.

The wires are super hard to work with so eventually I MacGyver'ed it, and used a moist sponge as a base

And here is one of them in it's new home
smile.gif

I have also run into a little snag which my require some mod work. I ended up going with the D5 variable pump/duel bay rez combo. I really changed my mind on installing the rez in the bay for a couple of reasons. Take a look at this and let me know what you all think:

So these are my option. I can mount the pump in the bay, or on the bottom. I figured I would need to have my other rez feeding into this one. I know you don't HAVE too, it just feels right to me, IDK... Here are my questions:

1: In example one the rez is in the bay and being fed by the T-Virus. The loop needs to move up into the intake. Is this horrible? From everything I have read and heard, this isn't the greatest because of slightly restricted flow. However, intuitively it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference as long as both of the rez were full at startup/bleed.

2: My 2nd option would be to put the rez on the bottom and remove the cage. My issue here is I have no way to mount the actual rez/pump assembly to the bottom of the bottom of the case. Mounting screws are only available from the sides. Now, I'm sure I could go to Home Depot and find some way to mount these, apply some paint judiciously and be good to go.

Another option I think would be to just hide the rez and pump inside of the cages. Amazingly enough the whole assembly fits perfectly sideways. My only issue here is running the tubes will be a PITA. I also may need to cut out a portion of the cage.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatefly View Post

I have also run into a little snag which my require some mod work. I ended up going with the D5 variable pump/duel bay rez combo. I really changed my mind on installing the rez in the bay for a couple of reasons. Take a look at this and let me know what you all think:

So these are my option. I can mount the pump in the bay, or on the bottom. I figured I would need to have my other rez feeding into this one. I know you don't HAVE too, it just feels right to me, IDK... Here are my questions:
1: In example one the rez is in the bay and being fed by the T-Virus. The loop needs to move up into the intake. Is this horrible? From everything I have read and heard, this isn't the greatest because of slightly restricted flow. However, intuitively it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference as long as both of the rez were full at startup/bleed.
2: My 2nd option would be to put the rez on the bottom and remove the cage. My issue here is I have no way to mount the actual rez/pump assembly to the bottom of the bottom of the case. Mounting screws are only available from the sides. Now, I'm sure I could go to Home Depot and find some way to mount these, apply some paint judiciously and be good to go.
Another option I think would be to just hide the rez and pump inside of the cages. Amazingly enough the whole assembly fits perfectly sideways. My only issue here is running the tubes will be a PITA. I also may need to cut out a portion of the cage.
Any thoughts on this?
Am I missing something? Why 2 Res for One Loop?
thinking.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoverfist View Post

Am I missing something? Why 2 Res for One Loop?
thinking.gif
Well, I was shopping around and I really liked the look of the T Virus. In the end, it was a mistake. I forgot to remove it from my cart. Serves me right for shopping when I was super tired.

In any case, now I am trying to incorporate the thing. I guess I could just remove the pump from the bay, but that would require me ordering another head for it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatefly View Post

Well, I was shopping around and I really liked the look of the T Virus. In the end, it was a mistake. I forgot to remove it from my cart. Serves me right for shopping when I was super tired.
In any case, now I am trying to incorporate the thing. I guess I could just remove the pump from the bay, but that would require me ordering another head for it.
Ah.. I see. Personally i like the look of those and would ditch the bay res if at all possible..
tongue.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Ah.. I see. Personally i like the look of those and would ditch the bay res if at all possible..
tongue.gif
I think I might if I can find myself a head for this pump and get it shipped to me fast enough. Been itching to get back on my photography and process some photos.

I think I might also try and just stealth the bay into one of the cages on the bottom. That would solve my mounting issue as well as keep it hidden and also improve flow from one rez to another. The only issue with that I see is I will either need to mod the cage to make it easier to work the tube - which I won't have too, but would be a PITA otherwise. My other possible issue is running the tube behind the back plate. I did a test fit and it fit, but just. It's a really tight squeeze.
thumb.gif

·
back at it
4,776 Posts
subbed, seems interesting. wish you went with a 3507K and a 670 tho. also i think you wrote vertex 4 125GB, its supposed to be 128GB
thumb.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

subbed, seems interesting. wish you went with a 3507K and a 670 tho. also i think you wrote vertex 4 125GB, its supposed to be 128GB
thumb.gif
Man, you know, you're right. IDK why I keep typing 125!

I was looking at the 670, but I was already WAY over budget. Between this and rebuilding my old comp to give to the kid, I am just now starting to not be totally afraid of my wife...

·
back at it
4,776 Posts
*brofist for all the single men* but i see your point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so hopefully if all goes well my Mobo and speakers will be here today. Man, it took ages to get this Mobo in after my issues with Amazon. Hopefully it gets here in good condition.

I did some measurements based on specs of the board and went ahead and installed my rad up top - inside - and a couple of 140mm fans in the attic. I was going to put 3 in the attic, but decided I would get better airflow mounting one to pull from the bottom of the case.

I also found a spot for my Pump/Rez combo. I removed the lower bay but kept the slide mount. I mounted the Pump/Rez to the slide mount nice and flush. It looks really nice and has the added benefit of giving me super easy access to the back of the pump by removing the lower front fan cover.

I will try and have more pics up of all this tonight if I get time after - hopefully - installing my mobo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
** Update ** + Mobo Pr0n

How about some photos? Sorry for the quality right now. I have only been able to work this in the late evenings and my bulb went out on my studio light
mad.gif
Once the rig is all up and running I plan on taking a ton of much better shots. Hopefully the new bulb will be in by then.

Some mobo shots:

And some cell phone pics of my leak testing.

Being that this is my first WC build, I was kinda worries about leaving it running all night while I went to sleep. I was confident that I did my due diligence and got everything right, but being new and all, I may have missed something. So with aching fingers I went to bed leaving it looking like this:

Everything seemed to be in order when I woke this morning. No leaks at all.
thumb.gif

The loop took a long time to fill and to get all the bubble out. I think this had a lot to do with the way I ran my loop. If you notice I used what I guess is supposed to be the fill port on my T-Virus rez as the input port. As you can guess this caused a bit of aeration. I took my time though and slowly filled the loop, working out the bubbles with each cycle. Eventually I got both rezs filled and mostly free of bubbles.

Once it was filled I was amazed at how silent this thing is. I have to put my ear right next to it. The PSU as well is pretty much non-audible.

Later this afternoon I will leak test for a few more hours and adjust as needed - if needed - and then wire the system. Of course I will have more photos as well.

Thanks for reading
thumb.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Feels good to make some progress yes.. Good Job with it..
tongue.gif
Yep, it sure does.

I was mentally prepared for a catastrophe though. I would have been sad, but I was ready to be calm and collected about it, lol. The only bad thing that happened was I mounted the T-Virus rez using some Scotch 4010, you know, The Tape of The Gods? Well yeah, not so much. The top portion didn't hold and pulled away from the case. Wasn't so bad though cause the bottom held perfect. I guess it's a good thing I had all my fittings tight!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I was able to get the system up and running, but I can into a couple snags. Nothing big though, one is preventing me from moving on however.

My first minor annoyance came when It was time to install the red LED lights on my CPU block. The item shipped for this from PCS was in a little ziplock back. When I took it out, it was literally tied in knots
mad.gif
On top of this one of the connectors was not secured correctly and does not light up. So yeah, my block looks like a car with a headlight out...

My bigger issue right now is that for some reason my Blue Ray drive door won't open. The drive has power, it is recognized by the Mobo, but when I press the button all I get is a green flashing light, then it goes dark and nothing. Dead. I honestly don't think it's defective - just a gut feeling - so now I need to search for what the world could possibly the issue. In the grand scheme of things it could be MUCH worse, so I'm thankful, lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts