Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] Obelisk - Wanako Works 03X - Twin E5-2630 Xeons, nVidia Quadro 4000

3085 17
OK... so, I've got a client that needs a beast machine. He'll be doing some pretty high-end computing with this thing along with 3D rendering and AutoCAD and all that good, heavy stuff. After a bit of research and conversations with a few people that have done systems like this before, I ordered the parts. Some came in already, but I'm still waiting for a couple.

Budget: Go crazy. Thing is, my budget-oriented side is kicking in so I don't want to go TOO overboard and scare him off. I'm thinking about $4K~ish.

I decided on these parts, sent out the quote to my client, and it was approved.

BEHOLD!

Motherboard: 1x ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011
PSU: 1x Seasonic X-1250 1250W PSU
Case: 1x LIAN LI PC-X2000FNB
Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630
RAM: 2x Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 Server Memory
GPU: 1x PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000
SSD: 1x Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Cooler: 2x Dynatron R17
Optical: 1x ASUS Blue-Ray Burner

This is the most expensive, most powerful and most ambitious project I've had to date. I'm getting all giddy waiting for the parts, and it isn't even mine.
wheee.gif
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've only got these parts so far:

The Lian Li:

This thing is an absolute beast. This is the first time I've dealt with a Lian-Li before and these things are big, heavy and beautiful. The build quality is excellent and the steel is thick. I actually felt bad touching it without gloves. Like I was tainting it or something.

The twin Xeons:

and the good old Crucial M4:

I'll update as soon as I get the next parts. I expect them to come in on Tuesday. So stoked.
thumb.gif

Also, I'll take my Canon 30D to take pictures instead of using the iPad. Sure the pictures look ok, but they're nowhere near the quality of my 30D and for a project like this, I REALLY want to document it using my best equipment.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirchandise View Post

Holy
wheee.gif
F*ck.
I know right? I thought the same thing when the guy approved the quote. I thought, I'd have to downgrade a few things to get the approval. I was blown away when I got the call and said "DO EET".

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Sub'd!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually got the newest parts on Tuesday, but I've been so busy at work, I was only able to unpack today. Here's the motherboard. It's an ASUS Z9 PE-D8 WS. Dual 2011 processors, 7 PCI-E x16 slots and more SATA ports than I know what to do with. BEAST!

It's... beautiful...

drool.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PSU is a Seasonic X-1250. 1250 watts of flawless victory.

I've never held a PSU this manly before. It's like holding Chuck Norris' PSU. I felt it's power...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks 1TB.

2x Kingston 32GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM = 64GB!

Twin Dynatron R17 server-grade coolers, ready for action!

PNY nVidia Quadro 4000 professional graphics card. It's not meant for gaming, it's meant for WORK!

I would've liked to get two of these babies, though. Oh well.

Hopefully I'll be able to get started on this thing tomorrow. It's been a hell of a week.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
this is nice! subbed

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Managed to get only a little done today. To my great relief, the board fit PERFECTLY in the case. There were holes for the MB standoffs in the right places. This was the biggest worry I had, since I know very little about MB sizes above standard ATX.

The only other problem I had was the length of the cables for the PSU. ATX power and both CPU power cables are too short on the Seasonic to route them how I want to on this case. As you can see in the pics, all the power ports are at the top of the motherboard, and the PSU is bottom mounted. I'm gonna have to get some extensions. Lian-Li courteously provided one CPU power extensions but since it has two, I think I have a sleeved NZXT one I used to run on my Onyx. Unfortunately, I have not seen any NZXT extensions on NewEgg. I'll have to check other places or Fry's to see if they still make them. If anyone has any suggestions about this, please let me know.

Unfortunately, other projects had to take priority today so that's why I couldn't get too far. I will continue to build it when we come back from Christmas break on the 26th. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishii View Post

Microcenter sells them and Newegg aswell.
Yeah, it seems they have some, but I was looking for the NZXT ones specifically because they comes pre-sleeved. I found them at my local Fry's. Thanks though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNovax View Post

Looks like a very very nice build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoopscooper View Post

this is nice! subbed
Thanks guys. Hopefully it'll be pretty awesome when I'm done with it.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I FINALLY got a chance to get back to work on it. I've been so busy at work and all kinds of pressing matters these past couple of weeks that I've had to put a delay on it.

Well, I got it all built up and plugged in.

I got the NZXT Extensions I needed. I found them at Fry's.

IT IS ALIVEZ!!!

When my boss saw it finished, he was like, "Holy crap!"
I left is updating Windows over the weekend. I'll be continuing on it Monday morning when I get back into work.

I was surprised to hear that those Dynatrons are actually very quiet. I thought, them being server-grade air-coolers, that they would be much louder. The case, with it's incredible amount of fans, doesn't let out as much noise as I would have expected. I think my Onyx makes more noise than this thing, but then again, I do have a loud Scythe in it along with my 660Ti.

Data protection is very important to the client so, I'm planning on running the two WD Blacks in RAID 1 and he has an extra external 1TB which I will be mirrored to the array on a certain schedule. I have the Crucial M4 SSD running only Windows and his other programs, and moved all the user profiles, files and App Data to the Blacks. If anyone is interested in doing this same procedure to save your SSD of excess data that can be stored on a spinner, take a look at this excellent guide: How to Create User Accounts on another Partition or Disk During Windows 7 Installation. It can be done on a fresh install and there is also a way to do this on a machine already loaded with Windows. See post 22 on that thread to find out how. The guide was so good that I saved that PDF document and the XML file needed to my Windows 7 install USB. I have done this on my Onyx and my Big Noodle at work with Windows already installed and my co-worker has done it to his workstation too as a fresh install.

So yeah, I got it working without any major issues. The BIOS on these types of motherboards are quite finicky. One issue that did show up was during Windows install, it could not detect any of the HDDs or the SSD on the window where you choose on which drive you want to install the OS. The BIOS did detect them though. At first I thought I may have connected them to the wrong ports, but I connected everything to Intel ports. After some searching, I found out that updating the BIOS firmware solved this issue. Overall though, the build was easy. The case was an incredible pleasure to work with. It has an incredible amount of features. All RAM sticks worked perfectly so there were no DOAs and will not be slowed down by any RMAs.

Once I'm done with the installs and updates and such, I'll be giving it it's warmup run with some benchmarks. Now, since this machine is not meant for any kind of gaming, do you guys have any benchmarks for it that you recommend?

If I have the time, I may also run 24hours of [email protected] Let's see if I get that chance.

It is now that I regret not proposing 2 or 3 Quadro 4000s, just for shiggles.
lachen.gif
Or even a K5000 which just came out after I bought this card!
mad.gif
Or maybe even a TESLA! If they didn't go for it then cool, but if they had... ermahgerd!!
drool.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm officially calling this thing DONE! It's now ready for delivery to it's new home. Sadly, I didn't have a chance to run benchies on it, not enough time, but I did get to do a 24 hour run of [email protected] Didn't get how much I made, but I did it just to make sure everything was stable, me never having dealt with 2 CPUs and all, I didn't want to give them something that might crash. I didn't have anything else that would stress out all 24 cores either.
biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who watched and helped with their suggestions. This was a very interesting build for me.
thumb.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.