Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An upgrade has been on the cards for a while now and I was selling off all of my old gear including the case until I found out that the RIVE fits into the case! I had been dreading this as I had spent so much time getting the build to where it is that the thought of tearing it down got the better of me.

Ill be starting some work on the case this weekend and plan to have most stuff done within a few weeks. Ill be watercooling the Lightnings as soon as blocks come out for them.

SOOOOO the plan is to totally strip this build down, new mid plate, new drive bay panels, new sleeving and whatever else I decide along the way.

Components -

Intel Core i7 3930K (ACQUIRED)
Asus Rampage IV Extreme (ACQUIRED)
GSkills Trident 2400mhz 16gb kit (ACQUIRED)
2x EVGA 680 Classified Hydro Copper's
1500watt Enermax MaxRevo (ACQUIRED)
Silverstone TJ07 (ACQUIRED)

Watercooling gear -

SR1 480
SR1 240
GT Stealth 240
MPC 655 with custom top
EK Supremacy Full Nickel
Phobya Balancer 250 Nickel
BP Silver compressions all round
GT 1850's all round
Aqua Computer Aquero 5 Pro

The machine before the rebuild...

CURRENT STATE

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Foxx View Post

Lovin that midplate. As far as I know the aqua blocks have been out for a week or so; am I mistaken
thinking.gif
Will be watching this one for sure!
thumb.gif
I am in Australia so it always takes a little longer for things to reach us but I did a google search and you are correct!

I think I am going to stick with EK blocks for this build though as the Lightning block should be released this month.

On another note - Motherboard, memory, CPU and CPU block are due to arrive today! W00T!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my piece of aluminium yesterday so Ill spend some time getting my mock panels done up. I am not sure if I want to do the front 5.25 cover for the radiator in aluminium or plexi yet so I will just cut one in this 1.5mm thick aluminium until I make my mind up.

What do you guys think will look better?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about this for a blank canvas! 1.4m x 1.0m sheet of 1.5mm thick aluminium.

Cant wait to start cutting into this bad boy this weekend.

And here is case with just the SR1 240 & Aqua computer controller.

So this weekend I hope to tick off the following things:

• Front bay cover with fan holes for the 240 radiator
  • Side bay covers
  • Template for my new and improved luminous mid plate

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some measuring and cutting done for my new front panel. I was in 2 minds on whether to keep the 240 radiator in the drive bays or put it in the roof instead.

I might make 2 panels and see which option i like better. The Aqueros will be mounted facing inward with another cover for the interior of the 5.25 drive bays.

Anyway, here are some pics of the progress -

Here are the 120mm fan holes mapped out -

Now with them cut -

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
In...
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0totype View Post

Beautiful, subbed! I do love black with white accents but black with red would look great as well.
Yeah I like both combinations too so I am finding it hard to decide which way I am going to go.

I just dont want to add too much colour to the exterior and make it look tacky.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
Design is the hardest freaking part I swear...lol.

I also vote black with small white accents... just not sure yet what accents those could be. Maybe lit feet, kind of like the midplate. Sandwich a piece of plexi between two black pieces of plastic and have and LED in the center coming out from the bottom of the case where the standard feet screw in? lol. idk.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

Design is the hardest freaking part I swear...lol.
I also vote black with small white accents... just not sure yet what accents those could be. Maybe lit feet, kind of like the midplate. Sandwich a piece of plexi between two black pieces of plastic and have and LED in the center coming out from the bottom of the case where the standard feet screw in? lol. idk.
Man you think of concepts quickly!

I know most people just spray the radiator shrouds at the bottom a different colour and be done with it but I was thinking I wanted to try something a little bit different.

I could have a painter tape some lines on it and actually break the colours up across the sides or front.

So many damn options! Tomorrow I should get a bit of time to measure and cut the side bay covers.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.