Overclock.net banner

[Build Log] Onyx II - Wanako Works 01 - i5 2500K, EVGA GTX 780 SC *new*

7775 52
Ladies and Gents, I present to you Wanako Works - 01, codename: Onyx

Since it's my first build, I did TONS of research, and it all came down to these components:

Antec One Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA 1155 Motherboard

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB Graphics Card

CORSAIR TX650 v2 PSU

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor Overclocking imminent.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive Black SATA Optical Drive

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Cooler

I originally planned to keep the base build under $1000. It turned out to about $930 mostly by using Amazon and some NewEgg. Free Shipping + no tax FTW!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my case, an Antec One Hundred. It's the first part of my build and was totally excited about it. I ordered it on 7/27/11 and got it on the 28th. Newegg is only like two cities away so I can do that.
tongue.gif

_MG_4943.jpg

_MG_4942.jpg

_MG_4945.jpg

I found a few flaws in it but didn't realize it until later on. I'll bring that up afterwards.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I really like the clean look of it and solid construction. No sharp edges, black painted interior, large two-speed fans and plenty of space.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics of it of the inside while it was empty. I was too excited and it skipped my mind.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered the Motherboard, Optical Drive and RAM on 7/28, got it on Monday the 1st.

_MG_4954.jpg

The socket:
_MG_4952.jpg

_MG_4950.jpg

_MG_4951.jpg

and RAM

_MG_4956.jpg

_MG_4957.jpg

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also ordered the processor, PSU, Hard Drive and CPU Cooler on the 7/28 from Amazon. Got those later the following week on the 4th.

Hard Drive
_MG_4960.jpg

You can't do too many beauty shots of a hard drive.
biggrin.gif

PSU
_MG_4966.jpg

I was surprised with the packaging on this one. It came in a bag. Yes, it's useless, but who cares? It was awesome.

The Cooler
_MG_4972.jpg

I was also surprised with this one. I'm only used to seeing smaller, stock-ish sized coolers, but when I opened this one, I was like, "Holy crap! It's huge!"

ib4thatswhatshesaid

and of course the Intel i5
_MG_4978.jpg

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started putting it all together finding out the best ways to route the cables and make it look nice in there. Sure, there's no window in the case so people can see, but I want it to look good anyway when I open it.
Unfortunately, that's when I found out the flaws with my case.

First issue was the Audio cable for the front panel didn't reach all the way to the motherboard if I routed it through the back in the cable management compartment.

Second was that the Power Supply has to be mounted upside down because there is no exhaust grill at the bottom of the case for the PSU to be mounted correctly. This moves the cables further away from the cable management compartment and making them all a bit shorter.
Luckily, this wasn't a problem for any of the cable EXCEPT for the CPU 8-pin. Sure, it could've been connected had I just not routed it, but come on! I wouldn't want a big cable just running through the center of my case making it look all nasty, right?
_MG_4983.jpg

_MG_4981.jpg

So now, I have two clearly visible cables. I decided to leave it as is for now and would get back to that later with a solution.

Here, have some Hyper 212+ love
_MG_4988.jpg

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as my 8-pin and HD Audio plugs were too short I set out to do some shopping.
_MG_4990.jpg

_MG_4992.jpg

At first I was seriously contemplating drilling alot of little holes on the case, under the PSU so I can mount it correctly. lol. In the end I didn't.

I did this instead, I found extension cables for the 8-pin and Audio
_MG_4993.jpg

8-pin Power Extension Cable

_MG_4995.jpg

Audio Extension Cable

Now I can properly route them through the back and make the interior of the case nice and clean.

It's a good and cheap solution and hopefully this will be of help to any who have this case, or plan to get it, and want to overcome this little problem.

Here's the back in final routing configuration.
_MG_4997.jpg

and the inside.
_MG_4999.jpg

Flawless. *self high-five*

I also decided, in the name of tidyness, to mount my hard-drives a bit differently. Backwards to be exact. The SATA cables reached with no problem and routed them accordingly.
_MG_4996.jpg

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Afterwards I put it all together and put the last piece on.
_MG_5000.jpg

and COMPLETE!
_MG_5002.jpg

Plugged everything in and everything booted nicely. Obviously. What did you expect? Failure? pshhhh.
biggrin.gif

Originally I installed Windows 7 and all my programs on there BUT after an overclocking experiment gone FAIL and one too many BSOD's I corrupted my OS and had to reinstall everything. This was on Wednesday the 10th. Next day, I got a spare 160GB HD from work
and saved everything I could and reinstalled Windows last night (8/11). I installed everything like a MF'ing BOSS. With 3 virtual drives, my DVD drive and external hard drive plugged in, installing different programs at the same time, I gave my i5 a little workout. lol. I'll be installing Windows 7 on that spare drive soon to use as my test drive for overclocking.

Oh, and for those of you who see my lack of a graphics card... disturbing, worry not! I've already placed the order for it and should be recieving it soon. It's a EVGA GTX 560ti Superclocked. Same one I posted on the OP.
Once I receive it, I'll be posting. After that, overclocking and BENCHMARKS!

MWAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM;14559913
Sucks the case has no holes for bottom PSU ventilation, cables would look cleaner with a flipped PSU.
true, but overall, I'm actually quite happy with it.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice pictures! Good looking first build. You'll love the 560 Ti when it arrives. I had the same problem with my first build (8-pin too short to pass behind the motherboard). In fact, I'm using the same 8-pin extension you are.

Enjoy it.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conc3ntrate;14560074
Nice pictures! Good looking first build. You'll love the 560 Ti when it arrives. I had the same problem with my first build (8-pin too short to pass behind the motherboard). In fact, I'm using the same 8-pin extension you are.

Enjoy it.
biggrin.gif
Thanks. yeah, I've heard great things about the GTX 560Ti. I might go in later to tighten some loose cables once I get it ALL the parts. I'm also thinking of taking advantage of SSD caching.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my graphics card finally! EVGA GTX 560Ti Superclocked.

_MG_5005.jpg

_MG_5007.jpg

and COMPLETE!

_MG_5009.jpg

I'll have to tinker around with the tune later. For now, the difference between the GTX560 and the HD3000 is phenomenal! I love it!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Overclocked the i5 to 4.5GHz.

So far, it's surviving Prime95 Blend. currently at 6 hours. It's seems to be staying rather cool, too. interesting.

prime956hours.png

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
came home to a BSOD. sadness. don't know what time it actually happened but I'll try again another time.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trying again today. It was at 7 hours by the time I left home this morning. If successful, later today I'll try 3DMark 11 and Heaven, see how it stacks up.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it! It's stable now at 4.5GHz!
prime9512hours.png

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ran 3DMark 11. This is what I got.

3DMark11.png
click pic for link to 3DMark score site.

Not sure if it's respectable or not but it says my system is healthy, so I take it it's a good thing.
cool.gif

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3dMarkVantage.png

aaaaaaaaaaand, 3DMark Vantage. From what I've seen, these are respectable scores for a mid-range, single GPU system.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thinking of getting one of these:
and running it SRT. I already set my boot drive to RAID mode through the BIOS just in case I ever took that plunge. hmmm...

Also my wife wanted me to get her a laptop but after she saw me build my computer, she noticed the efficiency and convenience of having a custom built system over a laptop, like replacing busted components instead of the entire thing and having expensive repairs. The only thing is that she doesn't want a big, bulky tower, but something small, cute, space-efficient, and decently robust. I'm thinking ASRock's new Z68M-ITX/HT and an i3 running integrated graphics. She does absolutely no gaming, some photoshop here and there and surfing, email, all that jazz. That will be another thread once I get it going sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried out PCMark 7 to see how my system would do.

PCMark7.jpg

I say it's rather decent for the hardware.

I also decided to test out my WD Caviar Black 500GB. I post this so I have something to compare to when I get an SSD and run it SRT with the Black.

WDCaviarBlack500GB.jpg

Again, decent. I want to see the improvement made later on. That should be interesting.

I still haven't run Heaven. I'll try it out soon.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.